Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please choose a category:

Dress and Ceremonial

  1. Can I wear my Mess Dress after retiring/ releasing from the Canadian Armed Forces?
  2. Can I wear my uniform after retiring/releasing from the Canadian Forces?
  3. Do regulations authorize the buying of wreaths for Remembrance Day or other official commemorative ceremonies at public expense?
  4. How do I acquire a copy of an official Canadian Forces badge (graphics)?
  5. In a flag party, can foreign flags be carried by CAF members?
  6. Is the use of logos permitted in the CAF? If so, what are the rules governing the production and display of a logo?
  7. What are the rules associated with flag protocol/etiquette?
  8. What constitutes the Canadian Forces?
  9. What is the process for the naming of a work, building and geographical feature?
  10. What is the process to have an official Canadian Forces badge produced?
  11. When does a parade have to be conducted in bilingual format?
  12. When they play the national anthem at a parade should I sing?
  13. While in the US, I was given my US jump wings. Can I wear foreign specialist skill badges on my uniform?
  14. Who is entitled to an official Canadian Forces badge?


What is the process for the naming of a work, building and geographical feature?


In accordance with Chapter 10 of 'CFP 200 – The Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces', a recommendation related to the use of personal names for the naming of a work, building or geographical feature shall be forwarded to NDHQ/DHH through the chain of command responsible for the structure.

An officer commanding a command may approve the use of other then personal names based on:

a.                   events which are well known because of CF achievements;

b.                  subjects of historical interest; or

c.                   locations, emblems etc well known to or connected with the CF.

The use of personal names requires National Defence Headquarters approval and is restricted to:

a.                   living or deceased members of the Royal Family;

b.                  living or deceased former Governor-Generals of Canada; and

c.                   deceased distinguished persons.

In this context, a distinguished person is one who has rendered service of a rare or exceptionally high standard to the CF or to the nation, and who will serve as an inspiration or example to future service personnel. In case of a deceased member of the CF, DHH will review the deceased member’s personal file before approving on behalf of the CDS. Current policy requires that distinguished personages under consideration be deceased for several years[1] (i.e. more than two), allowing the passage of time to reflect on an individual’s accomplishment, and providing the deceased’s family with a suitable period of mourning for the death of a loved one.

Units shall not communicate with next of kin until proper research has been completed and permission granted by NDHQ/DHH. This is intended to avoid embarrassment should a name change be required.