Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please choose a category:

Heritage and Traditions

  1. Can a person outside of the military chain-of-command receive a military gun salute?
  2. Can my section, NDHQ directorate, etc., have an authorized badge?
  3. Can the National Flag be dipped on parade?
  4. Can the UN Flag be used to drape a casket or can a UN beret be placed on a casket?
  5. Do I have to have my medals court-mounted?
  6. How is the Canadian flag folded during a funeral ceremony?
  7. I received a foreign award. May I wear it on my uniform?
  8. I served in the Gulf and Kuwait War. May I wear my Saudi Arabian medal as well as my Canadian Gulf and Kuwait Medal?
  9. May I wear a relative's medals?
  10. What are the origins of the Christmas dinner?
  11. Where can I get a copy of a change-of-command certificate?
  12. Who can get a battle honour and can one be given outside of a war zone?


Who can get a battle honour and can one be given outside of a war zone?


Battle honours are awarded to provide public recognition to combatant units for active participation in battle against a formed, armed and a declared enemy as defined by the Government of Canada. For these purposes, combatant units are defined as Her Majesty's Canadian ships, the Artillery and Military Engineer branches as a whole, armour and infantry regiments, and operational flying squadrons, ie, those units whose functional purpose is to close with and conquer, neutralize or destroy the enemy as an effective fighting force. All units may, through happenstance, find themselves involved in battle. When necessary, all service personnel are issued weapons to defend themselves, and when called upon, are required to fight. Non-combatant units and sub-units operating independently, operating as part of a formation, or attached or in support of a combatant unit cannot gain battle honours for themselves or their parent unit.