Volume 2, Part 1: Extant Commissioned Ships
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
Argent on a square Vert joined at each corner with a similar square Vert a representation of the coronation crown of Queen Charlotte Sophia of England proper.
The central device of the badge is the arms of the City of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. In the design of Captain Samuel Holland, Royal Navy, for the City of Charlottetown, there is one major central square, Queen's, surrounded by four minor squares. At the heart of the badge is a stylized representation of these squares. The coronation crown of Queen Charlotte Sophia, wife of George III, honours both the city's namesake and underlines the importance of the city as the provincial capital and residence of the Sovereign's representative, the Lieutenant-Governor.
ALL CHALLENGES SQUARELY MET
Silver and Green
The Second World War
ATLANTIC, 1942; GULF OF ST. LAWRENCE, 1942, 1944.
First of Name
Corvette, Revised Flower Class.
Commissioned 13 December 1941.1
Sunk by enemy action 11 September 1942.
Second of Name
Frigate, River Class.
Commissioned 28 April 1944.2
Paid off 25 March 1947.3
Third of Name
Frigate, Halifax Class.
Commissioned 9 September 1995.4
The Second World War
Charlottetown (1st) served on escort duties in the North Atlantic and Gulf of St. Lawrence with 'Western Local Escort Force', 'Halifax Force' and 'Gulf Force'. She was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U517 in the St. Lawrence River on 11 September 1942. Charlottetown (2nd) served on escort duties in the North Atlantic and Gulf of St. Lawrence with 'Western Approaches Command'.5
1. Movement Log, HMCS Charlottetown, Document Collection/collection de documents 81/520, 8000 HMCS Charlottetown I
2. Acceptance Papers, HMCS Charlottetown, 28 April 1944, NAC/AN, RG/GE 24, vol.6753, file/dossier 8010-381/9
3. Signal, 261843Z March 1947, COPC to NSHQ, Document Collection/collection de documents 81/520, 8000 HMCS Charlottetown II
4. Annual Historical Report/Rapport historique annuel 1995, HMCS/NCSM Charlottetown, AHR/RHA 1326-1680
5. SMC/FDN,HMCS Charlottetown, 1920/22, Document Collection/collection de documents; 'Report on Loss of HMCShip,' 13 September 1942, DocumentCollection/collection de documents 81/520, 8000HMCSCharlottetownI; SMC/FDN,HMCSCharlottetown, 1915/11;Message,TOR 01 1050844, C-in-C CNA to NSHQ, Document Collection/collection de documents 81/520, 8000 HMCS Charlottetown II
Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.