Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

12E RÉGIMENT BLINDÉ DU CANADA

12E RÉGIMENT BLINDÉ DU CANADA BADGE

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

Gules the number 12e Or within an annulus Azure edged and inscribed ADSUM and REGIMENT BLINDE in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and flanked by two maple branches Or surmounted in base with a beaver on a log proper.

Symbolism

The maple leaves and the beaver represent service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The ordinal number "12e" and the words "REGIMENT BLINDE" are a form of the regimental title and "ADSUM" is the motto of the regiment. The number 12 also represents the 12th Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment) of the Second World War.

Top of Page

MOTTO

ADSUM (Present)

Top of Page

MARCH

Quick March

Marianne s'en va-t-au-Moulin

Slow March

Quand vous mourrez de nos amours

Top of Page

ALLIANCE

British Army

Royal Tank Regiment

Top of Page

BATTLE HONOURS

The War of 1812

Honorary Distinction

The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA

The First World War

AMIENS; SIBERIA 1918-19

The Second World War

LANDING IN SICILY; Grammichele; Piazza Armerina; Valguarnera; Agira; ADRANO; Troina Valley; SICILY, 1943; Termoli; The Gully; Ortona; CASSINO II; Gustav Line; LIRI VALLEY; Hitler Line; TRASIMENE LINE; AREZZO; ADVANCE TO FLORENCE; Monte La Pieve; Monte Spaduro; ITALY, 1943-1945; Apeldoorn; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.

LINEAGE

This regiment originated on 24 March 1871 and incorporates both Regular and Reserve Force regiments.

The 12e Régiment blindé du Canada originated in Trois-Rivières, Quebec on 24 March 1871, when the 'Three Rivers Provisional Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '86th "Three Rivers" Battalion of Infantry' on 4 June 1880;2 '86th Three Rivers Regiment' on 8 May 1900;3 'The Three Rivers Regiment' on 29 March 1920;4 'The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)' on 15 December 1936;5 '2nd Regiment, The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)' on 13 August 1940;6 '12th (Reserve) Army Tank Battalion, (The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank))' on 1 April 1941;7 and '12th (Reserve) Army Tank Regiment (The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank))' on 15 August 1942.8 The regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated the '46th Anti-Tank Regiment, RCA (Three Rivers Regiment)' on 1 April 1946.9 The regiment was converted to armour and redesignated the '24th Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment)' on 19 June 1947.10 It was redesignated: 'Le Régiment de Trois-Rivières (24th Armoured Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;11 'Le Régiment de Trois-Rivières (RCAC)' on 19 May 1958;12 and '12e Régiment blindé du Canada' on 2 May 1968.13

Notes :

The 86th Three Rivers Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 April 1912 (GO 72/12) and reorganized the next day (GO 102/12). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 86th Three Rivers Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1914 (GO 60/14) and reorganized on 1 October 1915 (GO 120/15). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Three Rivers Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (178th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Three Rivers Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 August 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 254/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Three Rivers Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 August 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 254/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as the 12e Régiment blindé du Canada on 2 May 1968 (see above), the Reserve component was given the suffix (Militia) after the regimental title to difference it from the Regular Force component which was authorized on 6 May 1968 (CFOO 3.24, 28 Oct 68).

On 25 June 1998, the regiment was granted the perpetuation of the '259th Battalion (Canadian Rifles), CEF (Siberia)' (NDHQ Memorandum 5400-34 (DHH), 23 June 1998).

Perpetuations

‘8th Battalion, Select Embodied Militia’, ‘Trois-Rivières Division (1812-15), '178th Battalion, CEF', and '259th Battalion, Canadian Rifles, CEF (Siberia)'

Headquarters Location

Regular Forces: Valcartier, Quebec

Reserve Force: Trois-Rivières, Quebec

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The First World War

The First World War The 178th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '178th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',14 embarked for Britain on 3 March 1917.15 Its personnel were absorbed by the '10th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 16 March 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.16 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.17

The 259th Battalion, which was authorized on 1 November 1918 as the '259th Battalion, Canadian Rifles, CEF (Siberia)',18 embarked for Russia on 22 and 26 December 1918.19 It served with the 16th Infantry Brigade as part of the Allied Forces in eastern Russia until 19 May 1919.20 The battalion was disbanded on 6 November 1920.21

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized 'The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.22 It was redesignated 'The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank), CAC, CASF' on 13 August 1940.23 It was converted to armour on 23 November 1940,24 and an army tank battalion on 11 February 1941, under the designation '12th Army Tank Battalion (The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)), CAC, CASF'.25 It was redesignated: '12th Army Tank Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)), CAC, CASF' on 15 May 1942;26 '12th Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment), CAC, CASF' on 26 August 1943;27 and '12th Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.28 On 21 June 1941 it embarked for Britain.29 The regiment landed in Sicily on 10 July 1943 and in Italy on 12 September 1943 as part of the 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade.30 On 8 March 1945 the regiment moved with the 1st Canadian Corps to North-West Europe, where it fought until the end of the war.31 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 30 November 1945.32

GUIDON

12e Regiment Blinde du Canada

CAMP FLAG

1st Hussars (RCAC)


1. MGO 8/71. Formed from four existing independent infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (2nd Three Rivers Infantry Company, 2 April 1869), 'No. 2 Company' ( Rivière du Loup, en haut, Infantry Company, 9 April 1869), 'No. 3 Company' (Berthier, en haut, Infantry Company, 23 April 1869), and 'No. 4 Company' (St. Gabriel de Brandon Infantry Company, 11 June 1869) / Formé de quatre compagnies d'infanterie indépendantes autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (2nd Three Rivers Infantry Company, 2 avril 1869), « No. 2 Company » (Rivière du Loup, en haut, Infantry Company, 9 avril 1869), « No. 3 Company » (Berthier, en haut, Infantry Company, 23 avril 1869), et « No. 4 Company », (St. Gabriel de Brandon Infantry Company, 11 juin 1869).

2. MGO 11/80.

3. MO 105/1900.

4. MO 95/20.

5. GO 188/36. The regiment remained a separate infantry corps / Le régiment demeura un corps d'infanterie séparé.

6. GO 253/40.

7. GO 236/41. The regiment was affiliated with the Canadian Armoured Corps on 13 August 1940 (GO 251/40) / Le régiment fut affilié au « Canadian Armoured Corps » le 13 août 1940 (GO 251/40).

8. GO 351/42.

9. GO 115/46.

10. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 43/47. The regiment officially becomes a unit of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps / Le régiment devint officiellement une unité du « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps ».

11. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49 and/ et CAO Supp Issue No. 117/49, Errata.

12. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

13. CFOO 68/47, 28 Sep 68.

14. GO 69/16.

15. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 178th Battalion, Document Collection/ Collection de documents 74/672, Series/ séries IV, Box/ boîte 13, Folder/ chemise 178. The unit also sent a reinforcing draft overseas [27 November 1916] / L'unité envoya aussi un contingent de renfort outre-mer [27 novembre 1916].

16. Ibid.

17. GO 63/17.

18. GO 128/18.

19. John E. Skuce, Canada's Soldiers in Siberia, (Ottawa, 1990), pp. 54-120.

20. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 259th Battalion, Document Collection/ Collection de documents 74/672, Series/ séries IV, Box/ boîte 13, Folder/ chemise 259.

21. GO 215/20.

22. GO 135/39.

23. GO 250/40; and/ et 253/40.

24. GO 88/41.

25. GO 73/41; and/ et GO 79/41.

26. GO 302/42.

27. GO 88/44. It was November before the new designation was adopted in the field / Il fallut attendre le mois de novembre avant que soit adoptée, en campagne, la nouvelle désignation.

28. GO 275/45. The Canadian Armoured Corps was redesignated 'Royal Canadian Armoured Corps' on this date / Le« Canadian Armoured Corps » fut rebaptisé « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps » à cette date.

29. Jean-Yves Gravel, Histoire du Régiment de Trois-Rivières, (Trois-Rivières, 1981), p. 40.

30. G.W.L. Nicholson, Histoire officielle de l'Armée canadienne. Les canadiens en Italie, (Ottawa, 1957), p. 73; and/ et John Marteinson et Michael R. McNorgan, Le Corps blindé royal canadien, (Toronto, 2000), p. 159.

31. G.W.L. Nicholson, Histoire officielle de l'Armée canadienne. Les canadiens en Italie, (Ottawa, 1957), p. 692.

32. GO 85/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.