Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

19TH ALBERTA DRAGOONS

19TH ALBERTA DRAGOONS BADGE

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

A horse statant Or on a grassy mound Vert above the number 19 Or all on a scroll Vert edged and inscribed ALBERTA DRAGOONS in letters Or.

Symbolism

The horse represents the unit's origins as a mounted rifle regiment. The mound on which it stands symbolizing the prairie setting of the unit's home base of Edmonton."ALBERTA DRAGOONS" and the number "19" are a form of the regimental title.

Top of Page

MOTTO

None

Top of Page

MARCH

Lili Marlene

BATTLE HONOURS

The First World War

YPRES, 1915, '17; Gravenstafel; St. Julien; FESTUBERT, 1915; MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Flers-Courcelette; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 1 February 1908 and incorporates the following regiments.

The 19th Alberta Dragoons originated in Edmonton, Alberta on 1 February 1908, when the '19th The Alberta Mounted Rifles' were authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated the '19th Alberta Dragoons' on 3 January 1911.2 On 16 February 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Alberta Mounted Rifles' (see below), retaining its designation.3 It was redesignated the '19th (Reserve) Alberta Dragoons' on 7 November 1940.4 On 1 April 1946, it was amalgamated with the '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Edmonton Fusiliers' (see below) and redesignated the '19th (Alberta) Armoured Car Regiment, RCAC'.5 It was redesignated: '19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment' on 4 February 1949;6 '19th Alberta Dragoons (19th Armoured Car Regiment)' on 1 November 1954;7 and '19th Alberta Dragoons' on 19 May 1958.8 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.9

Notes :

The 19th Alberta Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 August 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 172/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 1 November 1920, the 19th Alberta Dragoons were organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 19th Alberta Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 15 February 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 34/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Alberta Mounted Rifles originated in Medicine Hat, Alberta on 1 April 1908, when the '21st Alberta Hussars' were authorized to be formed.10 It was redesignated 'The Alberta Mounted Rifles' on 15 March 1920.11 On 1 May 1922, it was amalgamated with the '23rd Alberta Rangers' (see below), retaining its designation.12 On 1 January 1931, it was reorganized into two separate regiments, designated: 'The Alberta Mounted Rifles' and 'The South Alberta Horse' (now the 'South Alberta Light Horse).13 On 16 February 1936, it was amalgamated with '19th Alberta Dragoons', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Alberta Mounted Rifles on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a three regiment unit with the 1st Regiment (3rd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, the 2nd Regiment (12th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) and the 3rd Regiment (13th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle (see also GO 185/20).

The Alberta Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 March 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 129/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 15 February 1922, the 3rd Regiment was redesignated the 2nd Regiment (13th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) and placed on the Non Permanent Active Militia order and a new 3rd Regiment (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order was formed (GO 28/22).

The 2nd Regiment, The Alberta Mounted Rifles was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 February 1922 and reorganized the same day (GO 100/22). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 1 May 1922, the amalgamated '23rd Alberta Rangers' were redesignated the 2nd Regiment (13th Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF), Alberta Mounted Rifles' (GO 75/22).

On 15 November 1926, the 1st Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (3rd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) and the 2nd Regiment the 2nd Regiment (13th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) (GO 74/26).

Upon reorganization on 1 January 1931 (see above), The Alberta Mounted Rifles were organized as a two regiment unit. A new 2nd (Reserve) Regiment on the Reserve order of battle was authorized and the existing 2nd Regiment and 3rd (Reserve) Regiment became The South Alberta Horse (GO 3/31). The reserve regiment was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Alberta Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 15 February 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 34/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 23rd Alberta Rangers originated in Macleod, Alberta on 1 April 1908, when the '23rd Alberta Rangers' were authorized to be formed.14 On 1 May 1922, it was amalgamated with 'The Alberta Mounted Rifles', as above.

The Edmonton Fusiliers originated in Edmonton, Alberta on 1 April 1908, when the '101st Regiment' was authorized to be formed.15 It was redesignated: '101st Regiment "Edmonton Fusiliers" on 1 March 1909;16 and 'The Edmonton Regiment' on 15 March 1920.17 It was reorganized on 15 May 1924 into two separate regiments, designated 'The Edmonton Regiment' (now The Loyal Edmonton Regiment (4th Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry)), and 'The Edmonton Fusiliers'.18 On 1 April 1936, it was amalgamated with 'A Company' of the '13th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The King's Own Calgary Regiment').19 It was redesignated: 'The Edmonton Fusiliers (MG) on 15 December 1936;20 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Edmonton Fusiliers (MG)' on 7 November 1941;21 and '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Edmonton Fusiliers' on 1 April 1941.22 On 1 April 1946, it was amalgamated with the 19th (Reserve) Alberta Dragoons, as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Edmonton Regiment on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a five battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (172nd Battalion, CEF) and 2nd Battalion (Edmonton Fusiliers) (9th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 3rd Battalion (51st Battalion, CEF), 4th Battalion (63rd Battalion, CEF) and 5th Battalion (66th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle.

The Edmonton Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 253/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon reorganization on 15 May 1924 (see above), The Edmonton Fusiliers were organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (9th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (66th Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Battalion (202nd Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle.

On 15 September 1929, The Edmonton Fusiliers were authorized an additional battalion, designated the 4th (Reserve) Battalion (138th Battalion, CAF) (GO 112/29). The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Edmonton Fusiliers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the same day (GO 147/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 13th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Calgary Regiment (Tank) (GO 149/37).

Perpetuations

'3rd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'; and '9th', '66th', '138th', and '202nd "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Edmonton, Alberta

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The First World War

The First World War ?Details of the 19th Alberta Dragoons were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.23

The 19th Alberta Dragoons recruited the '1st Divisional Cavalry Squadron, CEF', which was authorized on 10 August 1914.24 It embarked for Great Britain on 1 October 1914.25 This squadron was redesignated: 'A Squadron, Canadian Corps Cavalry Regiment, CEF' on 12 February 1916;26 and 'A Squadron, Canadian Light Horse, CEF' on 21 February 1917.27 It disembarked in France on 12 February 1915,28 where it fought in France and Flanders as part of the Canadian Corps until the end of the war.29 The squadron was disbanded on 6 November 1920.30

Details of the 21st Alberta Hussars were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.31

Details of the 23rd Alberta Rangers were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.32

The '3rd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF', which was authorized on 7 November 1914,33 embarked for England on 12 June 1915.34 It landed in France on 22 September 1915,35 where it fought as part of the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles Brigade until its personnel were absorbed by the '1st' and '2nd, Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion(s)' on 31 December 1915.36 The regiment was disbanded on 12 August 1917.37

The 9th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '9th Battalion, CEF',38 embarked for Britain on 1 October 1914.39 It was redesignated '9th Reserve Infantry Battalion, CEF' on 29 April 1915, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.40 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1917.41

The 66th Battalion, which was authorized on 20 April 1915 as the '66th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',42 embarked for Britain on 28 April 1916.43 Its personnel were absorbed by the '9th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 7 July 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.44 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.45

The 138th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '138th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',46 embarked for Britain on 22 August 1916.47 Its personnel were absorbed by the '128th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' on 8 December 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.48 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.49

The 202nd Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '202nd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',50 embarked for Britain on 23 November 1916.51 Its personnel were absorbed by the '9th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 27 May 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.52 The battalion was disbanded on 18 February 1918.53

The Second World War

Details from The Edmonton Fusiliers were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Edmonton Fusiliers (MG), CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.54 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.55 The regiment mobilized 'The Edmonton Fusiliers, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.56 It was redesignated '1st Battalion, The Edmonton Fusiliers, CASF' on 7 November 1940.57 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 13th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division.58 The 1st Battalion was disbanded on 14 November 1945.59 The regiment subsequently mobilized the '3rd Battalion, The Edmonton Fusiliers, CASF' for active service on 12 May 1942.60 This unit served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 16th Infantry Brigade, 8th Canadian Division.61 The 3rd Battalion was disbanded on 15 August 1943.62

GUIDON

No Guidon recorded.

CAMP FLAG

No camp flag recorded.


1. December 1905), 'C Squadron' at Fort Saskatchewan (C Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1 December 1905), and 'D Squadron' at Edmonton (E Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 2 April 1907) / Formé de quatre escadrons de « Canadian Mounted Rifles » indépendants autorisés selon les dates suivantes : « A Squadron » à Edmonton (A Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1er décembre 1905), « B Squadron » à Strathcona (B Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1er décembre 1905), « C Squadron » à Fort Saskatchewan (C Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1er décembre 1905), et « D Squadron » à Edmonton (E Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 2 avril 1907).

2. GO 5/11.

3. GO 34/36.

4. GO 122/41.

5. GO 115/46.

6. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49.

7. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No 414/54.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

9. SD 1 Letter No. 58/64; and/et Western Command Message 2001-3/1 (G), 18 Oct 65.

10. GO 60/08; and/et GO 120/08. Formed from one independent squadron of Canadian Mounted Rifles authorized on the following date: 'A Squadron' (D Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1 June 1901 (formerly "I" Squadron)) and the newly authorized 'B Squadron' / Formé d'un escadron de « Canadian Mounted Rifles » indépendant autorisé selon la date suivante : « A Squadron » (D Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1er juin 1901 (autrefois l'escadron « I »)) et le nouvellement autorisé « B Squadron ».

11. GO 26/20.

12. GO 75/22.

13. GO 3/31.

14. GO 60/08; and/et GO 120/08. Formed from an independent squadron designated 'The Alberta Rangers' and three newly authorized squadrons of mounted rifles. The Alberta Rangers originated as 'D Squadron' of 'The 15th Light Horse' on 3 July 1905 (GO 154/05). It was authorized as an independent squadron on 1 April 1906 (GO 50/06) and designated 'The Alberta Rangers' on 1 May 1906 (GO 88/06). / Formé d'un escadron indépendant baptisé le « The Alberta Rangers » et trois escadrons de fusiliers montés nouvellement autorisés. Le « The Alberta Rangers » fut autorisé le 3 juillet 1905, lorsque le « D Squadron » du « The 15th Light Horse » fut autorisé (GO 154/05). Il fut autorisé comme escadron indépendant le 1er avril 1906 (GO 50/06) et il fut baptisé le « The Alberta Rangers » le 1er mai 1906 (GO 88/06).

15. GO 60/08.

16. GO 30/09.

17. GO 32/20.

18. GO 68/24.

19. GO 149/36.

20. GO 147/36.

21. GO 42/41.

22. GO 122/41.

23. GO 142/14.

24. PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 37-39.

25. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 112 and/et 114.

26. War Diary, Canadian Light Horse, RG/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Volume 4954, File/dossier 490, Appendix 1 - Letters, Canadian Corps G 706, 4 May 1916, and A. 29/59, 12 May 1916.

27. Ibid, 3 March 1917/3 mars 1917, Letter, War Office 121/Overseas/3407 (SD2), 21-2-17.

28. Colonel A. Fortescue Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in The Great War 1914-1919, General Series Vol. 1, August 1914- September 1915, Appendices, (Ottawa, 1938), p. 454.

29. G.W.L. Nicholson, Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War, Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919 (Ottawa, 1962), passim.

30. GO 207/20. As part of the Canadian Light Horse / En tant que composante du « Canadian Light Horse ».

31. GO 142/14.

32. Ibid.

33. GO 36/15.

34. CEF Sailing List, vol. XII.

35. War Diary, 3rd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 22 September 1915/22 septembre 1915, RG/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Volume 4946, File/dossier 463.

36. Ibid, 31 December 1915/31 décembre 1915. 'A' and 'C' Squadrons were transferred to the '1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles' and the headquarters and 'B' Squadron to the '2nd Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles' / Les escadrons « A » et « C » furent transférés au « 1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles » et le quartier-général et l'Escadron « B » au « 2nd Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles ».

37. GO 82/18.

38. PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 37-39.

39. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 112 and/et 117.

40. Shorncliffe Camp Order 450/15.

41. GO 82/18.

42. GO 103a/15.

43. CEF Sailing List, vol. IV. The Battalion also sent reinforcing drafts overseas on 11 September 1915 and 22 January 1916 / Le bataillon envoya aussi un service de renforts outre-mer le 25 septembre 1915 et le 22 janvier 1916.

44. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 66th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 66; and/et CTDO 3666/16.

45. GO 149/20.

46. GO 151/15.

47. CEF Sailing List, vol. VII.

48. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 138th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 138. The battalion contributed personnel to the '47th', '50th', '137th' and '175th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF' prior to its remaining personnel being absorbed by the 128th Battalion / Le personnel du bataillon passa aux « 47th », « 50th », « 137th » et « 175th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF » avant que son personnel restant ne soit intégré au sein du « 128th Battalion ».

49. GO 149/20.

50. GO 69/16.

51. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

52. CRO 1560/17.

53. GO 82/18.

54. GO 124/39; and/et GO 135/39.

55. GO 44/41.

56. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

57. GO 42/41.

58. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 538.

59. GO 18/46.

60. GO 309/42.

61. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 539.

62. GO 438/43.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.