Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

4TH PRINCESS LOUISE DRAGOON GUARDS

4TH PRINCESS LOUISE DRAGOON GUARDS BADGE

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

The coronet of a marquess proper enfiled by a monogram composed of two "Ls" intertwined Argent, above the Roman numerals "IV" Or resting on a scroll Azure edged and inscribed PRINCESS LOUISE DRAGOON GUARDS in letters Or, the whole surmounted by the coronet of a daughter of the Sovereign proper.

Symbolism

The coronets and intertwined Ls refer to the Regiment's namesake, Princess Louise (1848- 1939), daughter of Queen Victoria, and her husband the Marquess of Lorne (1845-1914), Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883. The Roman numerals "IV" recall the name of the regiment. In 1936, the 4th Hussars of Canada were amalgamated with the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards and redesignated 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards.

Haut de la page

MOTTO

PRO ARIS ET FOCIS (For our altars and for our homes)

Haut de la page

MARCH

Men of Harlech; and God Bless The Prince of Wales.

Haut de la page

BATTLE HONOURS

South African War

SOUTH AFRICA, 1900.

The First World War

MOUNT SORREL.

The Second World War

ADRANO; Troina Valley; SICILY, 1943; Landing at Reggio; Motta Montecorvino; LIRI VALLEY; Hitler Line; Melfa Crossing; GOTHIC LINE; Tomba di Pesaro; Casale; Sant' Angelo in Salute; Capture of Ravenna; Naviglio Canal; ITALY, 1943-1945; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 30 April 1875 and incorporates the following regiments.

The 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards originated in Kingston, Ontario on 30 April 1875, when the '4th Provisional Regiment of Cavalry' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '4th Regiment of Cavalry' on 7 May 1886;2 '4th Hussars' on 1 January 1893;3 and '4th Hussars of Canada' on 1 March 1932.4 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the 'Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' (see below) and redesignated the '4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards'.5 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Regiment, 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' on 11 February 1941;6 '4th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Battalion, (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards)' on 1 April 1941;7 '4th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), CAC' on 8 June 1942;8 '4th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), RCAC' on 2 August 1945;9 '4th Armoured Car Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), RCAC' on 19 June 1947;10 '4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards (4th Armoured Car Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;11 and '4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' on 19 May 1958.12 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 12 February 1965.13

Notes :

On 1 November 1920, the 4th Hussars were organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 4th Hussars were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 November 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 5/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Hussars of Canada were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 159/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards originated in Ottawa, Ontario on 1 January 1903, when the 'Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' were authorized to be formed.14 It was redesignated: '5th "Princess Louise Dragoon Guards"' on 1 February 1903;15 and 'The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' on 15 March 1920.16 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '4th Hussars of Canada', as above.

Notes:

The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 May 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 101/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 1 November 1920, The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards were organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20).

The 1st Regiment was redesignated the '1st Regiment (8th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) on 15 November 1926 (GO 74/26). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Princess Louise Dragoon Guard were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 159/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuation

'8th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Ottawa, Ontario

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

South African War

The independent cavalry squadron The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards contributed volunteers for the Canadian contingents in the field.17

The First World War

Details of the 4th Hussars were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.18

The '8th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF', which was authorized on 15 March 1915,19 embarked for England on 8 October 1915.20 Its personnel were absorbed by the '39th Reserve Battalion' and a draft was sent to the '4th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF' in the field on 29 January 1916.21 The regiment was disbanded on 8 December 1917.22

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized the '4th (Active) Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, CASF' for active service on 26 January 1941.23 It was converted to armour and redesignated: '4th Reconnaissance Battalion (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), CASF' on 11 February 1941;24 and '4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), CAC, CASF' on 8 June 1942.25 It was converted to infantry and redesignated the '4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, CIC, CASF' on 13 July 1944.26 It was again converted to armour and redesignated: '4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), CAC, CASF' on 15 March 1945;27 and '4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.28 The battalion was formed from personnel of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division in England and reinforcements that arrived from Canada in July 1941.29 "A" Squadron landed in Sicily on 13 July 1943 as part of 1st Canadian Infantry Division, followed by the remainder of the regiment on 26 August 1943.30 "A" Squadron landed in Italy on 4 September 1943 and was again joined by the regiment on 30 September 1943.31 It served as infantry as part of the 12th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division, until It moved to North-West Europe on 26 February 1945.32 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 December 1945.33

STANDARD

4th Princess Louise Dragoons Guards

CAMP FLAG

No camp flag authorized


1. GO 30 Apr 75. Formed from four independent troops of cavalry authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Troop' at Kingston (First Volunteer Militia Troop of Cavalry of the County of Frontenac, 20 September 1855), 'No. 2 Troop' at Napanee (The Napanee Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry, 28 February 1856), 'No. 3 Troop' at Loughborough (Second Troop of Volunteer Militia Troop of Cavalry of the County of Frontenac, 21 August 1856), and 'No. 4 Troop' at Picton (Picton Troop of Cavalry, 23 May 1872) / Formé de quatre troupes de cavalerie indépendantes autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Troop » à Kingston (First Volunteer Militia Troop of Cavalry of the County of Frontenac, 20 septembre 1855), « No. 2 Troop » à Napanee (The Napanee Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry, 28 février 1856), « No. 3 Troop » à Loughborough (Second Troop of Volunteer Militia Troop of Cavalry of the County of Frontenac, 21 août 1856), et « No. 4 Troop » à Picton (Picton Troop of Cavalry, 23 mai 1872).

2. MGO 9/86. No authority for a change of designation of this unit is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers of 1886. However, the date of 7 May 1886 is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources and the Department of Militia and Defence, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1886 / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune autorité quant au changement d'appellation de cette unité en 1886. La date du 7 mai 1886 correspond toutefois à la nomenclature utilisée dans les sources mentionnées précédemment ainsi que par le Ministère de la Milice et de la défense, 1886.

3. No authority for a change of designation of cavalry units in 1892 is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date of 1 January 1893 is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources of 1893 and the Department of Militia and Defence, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1893. (GO 21/93 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1893-94).

4. GO 26/32.

5. GO 159/36; and/et 75/37.

6. GO 79/41.

7. GO 236/41.

8. GO 451/42.

9. GO 275/45. The Canadian Armoured Corps was redesignated 'Royal Canadian Armoured Corps' on this date / Le « Canadian Armoured Corps » fut rebaptisé « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps » en ce jour.

10. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.

11. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49.

12. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

13. SD 1 Letter No. 64/63; and/et Central Command Message, CC 2001-3/1-23/2 - CC 2001-3/1-1(G) of 11 May 65.

14. GO 9/03. Formed from an independent cavalry squadron designated 'The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards' authorized on 23 May 1872 as the 'Ottawa Troop of Cavalry' (MGO 13/72), and the newly authorized 'B Squadron' / Formé d'un escadron de cavalerie indépendante, baptisé le « The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards », autorisé le 23 mai 1872 sous l'appellation de « Ottawa Troop of Cavalry » (MGO 13/72), et le nouvellement autorisé « B Squadron ».

15. GO 23/03.

16. GO 26/20.

17. GO 60/33.

18. GO 142/14.

19. GO 36/15.

20. CEF Sailing List, vol. XII. The unit also sent three reinforcing drafts overseas on 10 June, 17 July and 23 August 1915 / L'unité envoya aussi trois contingents en renfort outre-mer le 10 juin, 17 juillet et 23 août 1915.

21. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 8th Regt C.M.R., Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries VI, Box/boîte 17, Folder/chemise 6.

22. GO 82/18.

23. GO 40/41; and/et GO 41/41.

24. GO 79/41.

25. GO 455/42.

26. GO 18/45.

27. GO 252/45.

28. GO 275/45. The Canadian Armoured Corps was redesignated 'Royal Canadian Armoured Corps' on this date / Le « Canadian Armoured Corps » fut rebaptisé « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps » à cette date.

29. Lieutenant-Colonel H.M. Jackson, The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, (Ottawa, 1952), p. 77.

30. Ibid, pp. 119 and/et 126.

31. Ibid, pp. 128 and/et 139.

32. Ibid, p. 261; and/et Lieutenant-Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume II, The Canadians in Italy, 1943-1945 (Ottawa, 1957), passim.

33. GO 85/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.