Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

THE FORT GARRY HORSE

The Fort Garry Horse Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

On a maple leaf Or the portal gate of Fort Garry proper above a scroll Azure edged and inscribed FORT GARRY HORSE in letters Argent.

Symbolism

The maple leaf represents service to Canada. The Fort Garry Gate of the former Hudson Bay's Company fort represents the City of Winnipeg. "FORT GARRY HORSE" is a form of the regimental title.

Top of Page

MOTTO

FACTA NON VERBA (Deeds not words)

Top of Page

MARCHES

Quick March

El Abanico; and St. Patrick's Day

Slow March

Red River Valley

Top of Page

ALLIANCE

British Army

The Royal Dragoon Guards

Top of Page

BATTLE HONOURS

North West Rebellion

FISH CREEK; BATOCHE; NORTH WEST CANADA, 1885.

The First World War

SOMME, 1916, '18; Bazentin; Pozières; Flers-Courcelette; HILL 70; YPRES 1917; CAMBRAI, 1917, '18; St. Quentin; AMIENS; ARRAS, 1918; HINDENBURG LINE; St. Quentin Canal; Beaurevoir; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1916-18.

The Second World War

NORMANDY LANDING; CAEN; Carpiquet; FALAISE; Falaise Road; The Laison; Boulogne, 1944; Antwerp-Turnhout Canal; THE SCHELDT; Woensdrecht; THE RHINELAND; Goch-Calcar Road; The Hochwald; Groningen; Oldenburg, NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 15 April 1912 and incorporates the following regiments.

The Fort Garry Horse originated in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 15 April 1912, when the '34th Regiment of Cavalry' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '34th "Fort Garry Horse"' on 2 January 1913;2 and 'The Fort Garry Horse' on 15 March 1920.3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Manitoba Horse' (see below) retaining its designation.4 It was redesignated: '2nd Regiment, The Fort Garry Horse' on 13 August 1940;5 '10th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment, (The Fort Garry Horse)' on 1 April 1941;6 '10th Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse)' on 31 January 1946;7 'The Fort Garry Horse (10th Armoured Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;8 'The Fort Garry Horse' on 19 May 1958;9 'The 2nd Fort Garry Horse' on 11 October 1958;10 'The Fort Garry Horse (Militia)' on 1 January 1960;11 and 'The Fort Garry Horse' on 16 June 1970.12

Notes:

On 1 November 1920 The Fort Garry Horse was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Fort Garry Horse was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 August 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 172/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment

The Fort Garry Horse were disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 160/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 15 May 1936, the regiment was assigned the perpetuation of the '226th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' (GO 69/39).

On 11 October 1958, a Regular Force component was authorized under the designation 'The 1st Fort Garry Horse' (CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/58). On 1 January 1960, it was redesignated 'The Fort Garry Horse' (CAO 76-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No 665/60). The Regular Force component was reduced to nil strength and placed on the Supplementary Order of battle on 16 June 1970 (CANCOMGEN 018/70).

The Manitoba Horse originated in Roblin, Manitoba on 1 April 1912, when the '32nd Light Horse' was authorized to be formed.13 It was redesignated: '32nd Manitoba Horse' on 2 November 1912;14 and 'The Manitoba Horse' on 15 March 1920.15 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Fort Garry Horse', as above.

Notes:

On 1 November 1920 The Manitoba Horse was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Manitoba Horse was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 June 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 200/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Manitoba Horse was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 31 March 1925 and reorganized the same day (GO 31/26). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 15 July 1931, the 1st Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (226th Battalion, CEF) (GO 94/31).

On 16 March 1932, the regiment was authorized to perpetuate 'Boulton's Mounted Corps' (GO 38/32).

The Manitoba Horse was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 160/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuations

'Boulton's Mounted Corps' of 1885; and '226th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Winnipeg, Manitoba

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

North West Rebellion

Boulton's Mounted Corps was mobilized for active service on 10 April 1885.16 It served with Middleton's Column of the North West Field Force.17 The corps was disbanded on 18 September 1885.18

The First World War

Details from the 32nd Manitoba Horse were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.19

Details from the 34th Fort Garry Horse were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.20

'The Fort Garry Horse, CEF' were organized in England on 21 January 1916.21 It disembarked in France on 25 February 1916, where it fought in France and Flanders as part of the 1st Canadian Cavalry Brigade until the end of the war.22 The regiment was disbanded on 6 November 1920.23 The regiment also mobilized the '34th Fort Garry Horse Overseas Training Depot, CEF', which was authorized on 15 June 1917.24 It was redesignated the '34th Fort Garry Horse, Depot Squadron, CEF' on 1 January 1917.25 It embarked for Britain on 21 May 1917, where it provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.26 The squadron was disbanded on 6 November 1920.27

The 226th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '226th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',28 embarked for Britain on 16 December 1916.29 Its personnel were absorbed by the '14th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 7 April 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.30 The battalion was disbanded on 27 July 1917.31

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized 'The Fort Garry Horse, CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.32 It was redesignated: 'The Fort Garry Horse, CASF' on 13 August 1940;33 '10th Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse), CASF' on 11 February 1941;34 '10th Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse), CAC, CASF' on 15 October 1943;35 and '10th Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.36 The regiment embarked for Britain in November 1941.37 The regiment landed in Normandy on 6 June 1944, as a part of the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, in support of the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and fought in North-West Europe until the end of the war.38 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 31 January 1946.39

GUIDON

The Fort Garry Horse

CAMP FLAG

The Fort Garry Horse


1. GO 72/12. Although the personnel of 'A Squadron, 18th Mounted Rifles' were transferred to the new regiment, the squadron as an organization remained with the 18th Mounted Rifles / Malgré que le personnel du « A Squadron, 18th Mounted Rifles » fut transféré au sein du nouveau régiment, l'escadron, en tant qu'organisation, demeura au sein du « 18th Mounted Rifles ».

2. GO 7/13; GO 44/13; and/et GO 166/13.

3. GO 26/20.

4. GO 160/36.

5. GO 253/40.

6. GO 236/41.

7. GO 400/45.

8. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49.

9. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

10. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/58.

11. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/60.

12. CANCOMGEN 018/70.

13. GO 60/12.

14. GO 202/12.

15. GO 26/20.

16. MGO 8/85.

17. General Sir Frederick Middleton, Suppression of the Rebellion in the North West Territories of Canada 1885, (Toronto, 1948), pp. 22, 29 and 30.

18. MGO 21/85.

19. GO 163/14.

20. GO 142/14.

21. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - Overseas Training Depot 34th Fort Garry Horse, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries VI, Box/boîte 17, Folder/chemise 6.

22. Captain G.T. Service, (ed.) and Captain J.K. Marteinson, (ed.), The Gate. A History of The Fort Garry Horse, (Calgary, 1971), passim.

23. GO 207/20.

24. GO 63/17.

25. GO 89/17.

26. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - Overseas Training Depot 34th Fort Garry Horse, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries VI, Box/boîte 17, Folder/chemise 6.

27. GO 207/20.

28. GO 69/16.

29. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

30. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 226th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 226.

31. GO 89/17.

32. GO 135/39.

33. GO 250/40; and/et 253/40. It was converted to armour on 23 November 1940 / Il fut converti au blindé le 23 novembre 1940 (GO 88/41).

34. GO 79/41.

35. GO 476/43.

36. GO 275/45. The Canadian Armoured Corps was redesignated 'Royal Canadian Armoured Corps' on this date / Le « Canadian Armoured Corps » fut rebaptisé « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps » à cette date.

37. Captain G.T. Service, (ed.) and Captain J.K. Marteinson, (ed.), The Gate. A History of The Fort Garry Horse, (Calgary, 1971), p. 57.

38. Charles P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army. The Victory Campaign, (Ottawa, 1966), passim.

39. GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.