Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S HORSE GUARDS

The Govenor General's Horse Guards Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


Colonel-in-Chief: Her Majesty The Queen

BADGE

Description

Gules a unicorn rampant Argent armed, crined, unguled and gorged with a coronet composed of crosses patée and fleurs-de-lis a chain affixed thereto reflexed all Or within the Garter bearing the motto HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE ensigned by the Royal Crown all proper and set upon a scroll Azure edged and inscribed NULLI SECUNDUS in letters Or.

Symbolism

The Crown represents service to the Sovereign. The Garter is taken from the badge of The Governor General?s Body Guard. The unicorn, coronet and chain are from the badge of The Mississauga Horse, and, originally, they were taken from the unicorn supporter of the Royal Arms.

Top of Page

MOTTO

NULLI SECUNDUS (Second to none)

Top of Page

MARCH

Men of Harlech

Top of Page

ALLIANCE

British Army

The Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons); and the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards.

Top of Page

AFFILIATION

The Royal Canadian Dragoons

BATTLE HONOURS

North West Rebellion

NORTH WEST CANADA, 1885.

The South African War

SOUTH AFRICA, 1900.

The First World War

MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Flers-Courcelette; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; VALENCIENNES; SAMBRE; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

The Second World War

LIRI VALLEY; Melfa Crossing; GOTHIC LINE; LAMONE CROSSING; Misano Ridge; Fosso Munio; ITALY, 1944-1945; Ijsselmeer; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 17 May 1889 and incorporates the following regiments.

The Governor General's Horse Guards originated in Toronto, Ontario on 17 May 1889, when the 'Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated 'The Governor General's Body Guard' on 13 July 1895.2 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Mississauga Horse' (see below) and redesignated 'The Governor General's Horse Guards'.3 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Regiment, The Governor General's Horse Guards' on 11 February 1941;4 '3rd (Reserve) Armoured Regiment, (The Governor General's Horse Guards)' on 1 April 1941;5 'The Governor General's Horse Guards (3rd Armoured Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;6 and 'The Governor General's Horse Guards' on 19 May 1958.7

Notes :

On 1 November 1920 The Governor General's Body Guard was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20).

On 16 April 1935 the 1st Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (4th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) (GO 47/35). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Governor General's Body Guard was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 January 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 60/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Governor General's Body Guard was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 199/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Mississauga Horse originated in Toronto, Ontario on 1 April 1903, when the 'Toronto Light Horse' was authorized to be formed.8 It was redesignated: '9th Toronto Light Horse' on 22 December 1903;9 '9th Mississauga Horse' on 1 May 1907;10 'The Ontario Mounted Rifles' on 15 March 1920;11 and 'The Mississauga Horse' on 1 April 1924.12 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Governor General's Body Guard', as above.

Notes :

Upon redesignation as The Ontario Mounted Rifles on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a three regiment unit with the 1st (Mississauga) Regiment (4th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment (7th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Regiment (8th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle.

The Ontario Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 129/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Mississauga Horse on 1 April 1924 (see above) the 1st (Mississauga) Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (4th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) (GO 46/24).

On the 15 November 1926, the 2nd Regiment was redesignated the 2nd Regiment (7th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) and the 3rd Regiment (8th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) was redesignated the 3rd Regiment (no CEF designation) (GO 74/26).

On the 15 July 1929 the 3rd Regiment was redesignated the 3rd Regiment (216th Battalion, CEF) (GO 95/29).The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Mississauga Horse were disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 199/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuation

'4th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'; '7th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'; and '216th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Toronto, Ontario

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

North West Rebellion

The Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario was mobilized for active service on 10 April 1885.13 It served in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.14 The unit was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.15

South African War

The Governor General's Body Guard contributed volunteers for the Canadian contingents in the field.16

The First World War

The 4th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '4th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF',17 embarked for Britain on 18 July 1915.18 It disembarked in France on 24 October 1915,19 where it fought as part of the 2nd Brigade Canadian Mounted Rifles until 31 December 1915, when it was converted to infantry and allocated to the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division.20 The regiment was redesignated the '4th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF' on 1 January 1916.21 The battalion was disbanded on 6 November 1920.22

The 7th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '7th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'.23 The regiment, broken-up in Canada, supplied the '2nd Canadian Divisional Cavalry Squadron' (see the 1st Hussars chart) and two squadrons formed the 'Canadian Mounted Rifles Depot' in England.24 The regiment was disbanded on 11 April 1918.25

The 216th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the ?216th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF?,26 embarked for Britain on 18 April 1917.27 Its personnel were absorbed by the 3rd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 5 May 1917 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.28 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.29

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Governor General's Horse Guards, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.30 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.31 Subsequently, the regiment mobilized the '2nd Canadian Motorcycle Regiment, CASF (GGHG)' for active service on 24 May 1940.32 It was converted to armour and redesignated: 'The Governor General's Horse Guards, CASF' on 9 February 1941;33 '3rd Armoured Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards), CASF' on 11 February 1941;34 '3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards), CAC, CASF' on 1 January 1943;35 and '3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.36 It embarked for Britain on 9 October 1941.37 The regiment landed in Italy on 19 December 1943 as part of the 5th Armoured Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division.38 On 20 February 1945 the regiment moved with the 1st Canadian Corps to North-West Europe, where it continued to fight until the end of the war.39 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 31 January 1946.40

STANDARD

The Govenor General's Horse Guards

CAMP FLAG

The Govenor General's Horse Guards


1. MGO 9/89. On 27 December 1855 two independent cavalry troops, designated the "1st" and "2nd Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry of the County of York', were authorized to be formed (MGO 27 Dec 55). The 1st Troop was redesignated 'The Governor General's Body Guard for Upper Canada' on 27 April 1866 (MGO 27 Apr 66); and 'The Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario' on 1 July 1867 (MGO 31 Jul 68). It was reorganized as a two troop squadron on 22 April 1876 (MGO 7/76). On 30 March 1866 the 2nd Troop, Volunteer Militia Cavalry of the County of York was redesignated '1st Troop' of the '1st Squadron Volunteer Light Cavalry of the County of York' (MGO 30 Mar 66). It was redesignated 'No. 2 Troop' of a district regiment of cavalry (Military District No. 2) designated the '2nd Regiment of Cavalry' on 10 May 1872 (MGO 12/72). On 17 July 1856 an independent cavalry troop designated 'The Markham Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry' was authorized to be formed (MGO 17 Jul 56). It was redesignated: '2nd Troop' of the '1st Squadron Volunteer Light Cavalry of the County of York' on 30 March 1866 (MGO 30 Mar 66); and 'No. 3 Troop' of the ' 2nd Regiment of Cavalry' on 10 May 1872 (MGO 12/72). On 3 May 1889, No. 2 and No. 3 Troop, 2nd Regiment of Cavalry were redesignated 'C Troop' and 'D Troop' and attached to the Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario (MGO 7/88). The 'Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario' was reorganized as a regiment on 17 May 1889 / Le 27 décembre 1855, deux troupes de cavalerie indépendantes, baptisées la « 1st » et la « 2nd Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry of the County of York », furent autorisées (MGO 27 déc 55). La « 1st Troop » fut rebaptisée : « The Governor General's Body Guard for Upper Canada » le 27 avril 1866 (MGO 27 avril 66); et « The Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario » le 1er juillet 1867 (MGO 31 jul 68). Le 22e avril 1876, elle fut organisée en tant qu'unité à deux escadrons (MGO 7/76). Le 30 mars 1866, la « 2nd Troop, Volunteer Militia Cavalry of the County of York » fut rebaptisée « 1st Troop » de la « 1st Squadron Volunteer Light Cavalry of the County of York » (MGO 30 mars 66). Elle fut rebaptisée « No. 2 Troop » en tant que composante d'un régiment de cavalerie du District militaire No. 2, baptisé « 2nd Regiment of Cavalry » le 10 mai 1872 (MGO 12/72). Le 17 juillet 1856, une troupe de cavalerie indépendante baptisée « The Markham Troop of Volunteer Militia Cavalry » fut autorisée (MGO 17 Jul 56). Elle fut rebaptisée : « 2nd Troop » de la « 1st Squadron Volunteer Light Cavalry of the County of York » le 30 mars 1866 (MGO 30 mars 66); et « No. 3 Troop » du « 2nd Regiment of Cavalry » le 10 mai 1872 (MGO 12/72). Le 3 mai 1889, la « No. 2 » et la « No. 3 Troop, 2nd Regiment of Cavalry » furent rebaptisées la « C Troop » et la « D Troop », faire partie du Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario (MGO 7/88). Le 17 mai 1889, le Governor General's Body Guard for Ontario fut réorganisé en tant qu'un seul régiment.

2. MGO 36/95.

3. GO 199/36.

4. GO 79/41.

5. GO 236/41.

6. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49; and/et CAO Supp Issue No. 117/49, Errata.

7. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

8. GO 59/03. Formed from three newly authorized squadrons and the amalgamation of "J" and "K" Squadrons, Canadian Mounted Rifles (authorized on 1 April 1901 as the 'Toronto Mounted Rifles' (GO 34/01)) / Formé de trois troupes indépendantes de cavalerie et l'amalgamation des escadrons « J » et « K » du « Canadian Mounted Rifles » (autorisé le 1er avril 1901, lorsque le « The Toronto Mounted Rifles » fut autorisé (GO 34/01)).

9. GO 201/03. No authority for a change of designation of this unit is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources of 1903 and is the first reference to its numeric designation / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune autorité quant au changement d'appellation de cette unité. La date correspond toutefois à la nomenclature utilisée dans les sources de 1903 mentionnées précédemment.

10. GO 92/07.

11. GO 26/20.

12. GO 46/24.

13. MGO 8/85.

14. General Sir Frederick Middleton, Suppression of the Rebellion in the North West Territories of Canada 1885, (Toronto, 1948), p. 42.

15. MGO 16/85.

16. GO 60/33.

17. GO 36/15.

18. War Diary, 4th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 3 July to 8 October 1915, Volume 1 Summary, NAC/AN, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4947, File/dossier 467.

19. Ibid, 24 October 1915/24 octobre 1915.

20. Ibid, 31 December 1915/31 décembre 1915.

21. Ibid; and/et War Diary, 5th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1 January 1916 / 1er janvier 1916, NAC/AN, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4949, File/dossier 473.

22. GO 207/20.

23. GO 36/15.

24. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1, (Ottawa, 1938), p. 450; and vol.1 - Appendices, p. 446. "A" Squadron, which was reorganized in Canada as the '2nd Canadian Divisional Cavalry Squadron' (subsequently 'B Squadron, Canadian Light Horse') sailed on 9 June 1915, "B Squadron sailed on 29 June 1915 and "C" Squadron sailed in advance on 23 February 1915 (CEF Sailing List, vol. XII) / Le « A Squadron », qui fut réorganisé au Canada en tant que le « 2nd Canadian Divisional Cavalry Squadron » (plus tard le « B Squadron, Canadian Light Horse ») prit la mer le 9 juin 1915, le « B Squadron » quitta le 29 juin 1915 et le « C Squadron » partit le premier le 23 février 1915.

25. GO 82/18.

26. GO 69/16.

27. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

28. War Diary, 3rd Reserve Battalion, 5 May 1917/5 mai 1917, NAC/AN, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4950, File/dossier 475. On 14 May 1917 an additional 90 officers and men from the battalion, who arrived late from Canada due to reasons of quarantine, were absorbed by the reserve battalion / Le 14 mai 1917, un groupe supplémentaire composé de 90 officiers et soldats provenant du bataillon, qui arrivèrent du Canada plus tard pour des raisons de quarantaine, fut intégré au bataillon de réserve.

29. GO 82/18.

30. GO 124/39; and GO 135/39.

31. GO 44/41.

32. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

33. GO 88/41.

34. GO 79/41.

35. GO 223/43.

36. GO 275/45. The Canadian Armoured Corps was redesignated 'Royal Canadian Armoured Corps' on this date / Le « Canadian Armoured Corps » fut rebaptisé « Royal Canadian Armoured Corps » à cette date.

37. John Marteinson, The Governor General's Horse Guards, (Toronto, 2002), p. 163.

38. Ibid, pp. 185 and/et 188. The advance party (the headquarters and Headquarters Squadron) landed in Naples, Italy on 1 December 1943 / Le groupe précurseur (le quartier-général et l'escadron de commandement) débarqua à Naples, en Italie le 1er décembre 1943.

39. Ibid, p. 241.

40. GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.