Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS

THE PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND REGIMENT (RCAC)

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

Azure the Roman numerals "XVII" conjoined above and below to two barrulets Or, issuant in chief a sprig of three autumn maple leaves, and in base on a grassy island an oak tree, to the dexter thereof three oak saplings all proper, the whole within an annulus Or edged and inscribed THE PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND REGIMENT in letters Sable, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and set upon a scroll Or lined Azure, edged and inscribed PARVA SUB INGENTI in letters Sable.

Symbolism

The maple leaves represent service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The three small oak trees represent the three counties of Prince Edward Island, while the larger tree represents Canada. The three dots on the annulus represent A, B and C Squadrons of the regiment as it existed in 1946. The Roman numerals "XVII" represent the 17th Reconnaissance Regiment. "THE PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND REGIMENT" is a form of the regimental title and "PARVA SUB INGENTI" is the motto of the regiment and of the Province.

Top of Page

MOTTO

PARVA SUB INGENTI (The small under the protection of the great)

Top of Page

MARCH

Old Solomon Levi

Top of Page

ALLIANCE

British Army

The 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's); and The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Top of Page

BATTLE HONOURS

South African War

SOUTH AFRICA, 1900.

The First World War

ARRAS, 1917, '18; YPRES, 1917; AMIENS; HINDENBURG LINE; PURSUIT TO MONS.

The Second World War

NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 25 June 1875 and incorporates the following regiments and engineer company.

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) originated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 25 June 1875, when the 'Queen's County Provisional Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.1 On 30 June 1876, it was amalgamated with the 'Charlottetown Provisional Battalion of Infantry' (see below) and redesignated the 'Queen's County Battalion of Infantry'.2 It was redesignated: '82nd Queen's County, Battalion of Infantry' on 4 October 1878;3 '82nd Queen's County Regiment' on 8 May 1900;4 '82nd "Abegweit Light Infantry" Regiment' on 5 June 1906;5 'The Prince Edward Island Regiment' on 29 March 1920;6 'The Prince Edward Island Highlanders' on 15 June 1927;7 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Edward Island Highlanders' on 1 January 1941;8 and 'The Prince Edward Island Highlanders' on 1 June 1945.9 On 1 April 1946, it was converted to armour, amalgamated with the '17th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment (Prince Edward Island Light Horse), RCAC' (see below), and redesignated the '17th (Prince Edward Island) Reconnaissance Regiment'.10 It was redesignated 'The Prince Edward Island Regiment (17th Reconnaissance Regiment)' on 4 February 1949.11 On 28 February 1955, it was amalgamated with the '28th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' (see below) retaining its designation.12 It was redesignated 'The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)' on 19 May 1958.13

Notes :

Upon redesignation as The Prince Edward Island Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (105th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Prince Edward Island Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 May 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 180/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Charlottetown Provisional Battalion of Infantry originated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 2 July 1875, when the 'Charlottetown Provisional Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.14 On 30 June 1876, it was amalgamated with the 'Queen's County Provisional Battalion of Infantry', as above.

The 17th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment (Prince Edward Island Light Horse) originated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 16 February 1914, when the 'Prince Edward Island Light Horse' was authorized to be formed.15 It was redesignated: '36th Prince Edward Island Light Horse' on 1 April 1914;16 'The Prince Edward Island Light Horse' on 15 March 1920;17 '2nd (Reserve) Regiment, The Prince Edward Island Light Horse' on 27 February 1941;18 and '17th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment, (Prince Edward Island Light Horse)' on 1 April 1941.19 On 1 April 1946, it was amalgamated with 'The Prince Edward Island Highlanders', as above.

Notes :

On 1 November 1920, The Prince Edward Island Light Horse was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20).

The 1st Regiment was redesignated the '1st Regiment (105th Battalion, CEF) on 15 June 1926 (GO 56/26). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Prince Edward Island Light Horse was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 May 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 180/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 28th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA originated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 31 March 1882, when the 'Prince Edward Island Provisional Brigade of Garrison Artillery' was authorized to be formed.20 It was redesignated: 'Prince Edward Island Battalion of Garrison Artillery' on 1 January 1893;21 '4th "Prince Edward Island" Battalion' on 1 January 1895;22 and '4th Prince Edward Island Regiment of Garrison Artillery' on 28 December 1895.23 On 1 January 1904, it was amalgamated with the 'Charlottetown Field Company' (see below), retaining its designation.24 It was redesignated: '4th Prince Edward Island Regiment (Heavy Brigade)' on 1 April 1908;25 '4th "Prince Edward Island" Heavy Brigade, CGA' on 2 May 1910;26 '"Prince Edward Island" Heavy Brigade, CGA' on 1 June 1912;27 '1st (Prince Edward Island) Heavy Brigade' on 2 February 1920;28 '1st (Prince Edward Island) Heavy Brigade, CA' on 15 March 1920;29 '1st (Prince Edward Island) Medium Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925;30 '1st (Prince Edward Island) Medium Brigade, RCA' on 3 June 1935;31 and '28th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946.32 On 28 February 1955, it was amalgamated with 'The Prince Edward Island Regiment (17th Reconnaissance Regiment)', as above.

Notes :

The 1st (Prince Edward Island) Heavy Brigade was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 April 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 177/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment

The 1st (Prince Edward Island) Heavy Brigade was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 186/20). It was redesignated the '1st Reserve (Prince Edward Island) Medium Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925 (GO 82/25). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37)

The Charlottetown Field Company originated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 16 August 1878, when the 'Charlottetown Engineer Company' was authorized to be formed.33 It was redesignated the 'Charlottetown Field Company' on 1 August 1899.34 On 1 January 1904, it was amalgamated with the '4th Prince Edward Island Regiment of Garrison Artillery', as above.

Perpetuations

'1st Brigade, CGA, CEF; 'No. 2', and 'No. 8 Canadian Siege Batteries, CEF'; and '105th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

South African War

The 82nd Queen's County Regiment contributed volunteers for the Canadian contingents in the field.35

The First World War

Details of the 82nd "Abegweit Light Infantry" Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.36

The 1st Brigade, Canadian Garrison Artillery was mobilized in England on 1 January 1916 as the ?Canadian Brigade Siege Artillery, CEF'.37 It was redesignated: '1st Canadian Heavy Artillery Group, CEF' on 24 November 1916;38 and ?1st Brigade, Canadian Garrison Artillery, CEF? on 12 January 1918.39 From January to December 1917 it coordinated siege battery training, and on 31 December 1917 it disembarked in France,40 where it provided siege artillery support as part of the Canadian Corps troops in France and Flanders until the end of the war.41 The brigade was disbanded on 23 October 1920.42

No. 2 Siege Battery, which was authorized as 'No. 2 Heavy Battery Depot, CEF' on 20 April 1915,43 was redesignated: '2nd "Overseas" Battery Canadian Siege Artillery, CEF' on 29 September 1915;44 '98th (Canadian) Siege Battery, CEF? on 24 February 1916;45 and ?No. 2 Canadian Siege Battery, CEF? on 24 January 1917.46 It embarked for Britain on 27 November 1915.47 The battery disembarked in France on 1 June 1916, where it provided siege artillery support as part of the 2nd Brigade, CGA, CEF, in France and Flanders until the end of the war.48 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.49

No. 8 Siege Battery was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the 'No. 5 "Overseas" Battery Siege Artillery, CEF'.50 It was redesignated: ?272nd (Canadian) Siege Battery, CEF? on 15 October 1916;51 and ?No. 8 Canadian Siege Battery, CEF? on 24 January 1917.52 It embarked for Britain on 26 September 1916.53 The battery disembarked in France on 1 April 1917, where it provided siege artillery support as part of the 3rd Brigade, CGA, CEF, in France and Flanders until the end of the war.54 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.55

The 105th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '105th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',56 embarked for Britain on 16 July 1916.57 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 24 January 1917, when it was amalgamated with the '104th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF', under the latter designation.58 The battalion was disbanded on 12 October 1917.59

The Second World War

Details of The Prince Edward Island Highlanders were placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Prince Edward Island Highlanders, CASF (Details), for local protection duties.60 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.61 The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Prince Edward Island Highlanders, CASF' for active service on 1 January 1941.62 This unit served in Canada in a home defence role as part of Atlantic Command.63 On 10 January 1945 it embarked for Britain,64 where it was disbanded on 18 January 1945 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Army in the field.65

The Prince Edward Island Light Horse mobilized an armoured squadron designated the '1st Canadian Armoured Brigade Headquarters Squadron (The Prince Edward Island Light Horse), CASF' for active service on 27 February 1941.66 The squadron embarked for Britain on 9 October 1941.67 It was converted to infantry and redesignated the '2nd Corps Defence Company (The Prince Edward Island Light Horse), CIC, CASF' on 1 November 1943.68 On 6 July 1944 it landed in France as part of the 2nd Canadian Corps, where it served in North-West Europe until the end of the war.69 The overseas company was disbanded on 15 February 1946.70

GUIDON

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)

CAMP FLAG

The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)


1. MGO 17/75. Formed from three newly authorized infantry companies, as follows: 'No. 1 Company' at Strathalbyn; 'No. 2 Company' at Wheatley River; and 'No. 3 Company' at Crapaud / Formé de trois compagnies d?infanterie nouvellement autorisées, soit : « No. 1 Company » à Strathalbyn; « No. 2 Company » à Wheatley River; et « No. 3 Company » à Crapaud.

2. MGO 13/76.

3. MGO 22/78.

4 GO 105/1900.

5 GO 106/06.

6 MO 97/20.

7 GO 49/27.

8 GO 42/41.

9 GO 264/45.

10 CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 489/56. This order supersedes/Cet ordre annule les GO 113/46, GO 114/46, CAO 78-3, Supp Issue No. 26/47, and/et CAO 110-3, Supp Issue No. 26/47.

11 CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 114/49.

12 CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 424/55; and/et CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 463/55.

13 CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

14 MGO 18/75. Formed from three newly authorized infantry companies, as follows: 'No. 1 Company' at Charlottetown Royalty; 'No. 2 Company' at Southport; and 'No. 3 Company' at Charlottetown / Formé de trois compagnies d?infanterie nouvellement autorisées, soit : « No. 1 Company » à Charlottetown Royalty; « No. 2 Company » à Southport; et « No. 3 Company » à Charlottetown.

15 GO 23/14. On 1 June 1901, '"L" Squadron, Prince Edward Island Mounted Rifles' was formed as an independent squadron (GO 73/01). It was redesignated '"L" Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles' on 1 October 1901 (GO 124/01) and the 'Prince Edward Island Light Horse' on 1 April 1903 (GO 60/03). Under the latter designation it became a two squadron regiment / Le 1er juin 1901, le « L Squadron, Prince Edward Island Mounted Rifles » fut autorisé en tant qu'escadron indépendant (GO 73/01). Il fut rebaptisé « L Squadron, Canadian Mounted Rifles » le 1er octobre 1901 (GO 124/01) et le « Prince Edward Island Light Horse » le 1er avril 1903 (GO 60/03). Sous cette dernière désignation, elle fut organisée en tant que régiment à deux escadrons.

16 GO 62/14.

17 GO 26/20.

18 GO 129/41.

19 GO 236/41.

20 MGO 6/82. Formed from three independent artillery batteries authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Battery' (No. 2 Charlottetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 2 July 1875); 'No. 2 Battery' (No. 1 Charlottetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 25 June 1875); and 'No. 3 Battery' (Georgetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 25 June 1875) / Formé de trois batteries indépendantes d?artillerie selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Battery » (No. 2 Charlottetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 2 juillet 1875); « No. 2 Battery » (No. 1 Charlottetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 25 juin 1875); et « No. 3 Battery » (Georgetown Battery of Garrison Artillery, 25 juin 1875).

21 No authority for a change of designation of artillery brigades in 1892 is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date of 1 January 1893 is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources of 1893 and the Department of Militia and Defence, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1893 (MGO 21/93 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1893-94) / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune autorité quant au changement d'appellation des brigades d'artillerie en 1892. La date du 1er janvier 1893 correspond toutefois à la nomenclature utilisée dans les sources de 1893 mentionnées précédemment ainsi que par le Ministère de la Milice et de la défense, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1893. (MGO 21/93 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1893-94).

22 No authority for a change of designation of artillery battalions in 1895 is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date of 1 January 1895 is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources of 1895, the Department of Militia and Defence, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1895 (MGO 43/95 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1895-96) and MGO 32/95 / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune autorité quant au changement d'appellation des bataillons d'artillerie en 1895. La date du 1er janvier 1895 correspond toutefois à la nomenclature utilisée dans les sources de 1895 mentionnées précédemment ainsi que par le Ministère de la Milice et de la défense, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1895. (MGO 43/95 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1895-96), et MGO 32/95.

23 MGO 58/95.

24 GO 7/04.

25 GO 67/08.

26 GO 57/10.

27 GO 102/12.

28 GO 13/20.

29 GO 25/20.

30 GO 82/25.

31 GO 58/35.

32 GO 115/46.

33 MGO 19/78.

34 Regimental Establishments of the Active Militia Including the Permanent Force for the Financial Year 1899-1990, pp. 10 and 11, Issued with GO 83/99.

35 GO 60/33.

36 GO 163/14.

37 War Diary, 1st Brigade, Canadian Garrison Artillery, January 1916/janvier 1916, p. 5, NAC/AN, RG/GE 9, Series 111-D-3, Vol. 4974, File/dossier 562.

38 Ibid, 24 November 1916/24 novembre 1916.

40 Ibid, 31 December 1917/31 décembre 1917.

41 G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), passim.

42 GO 191/20. Although this formation is not specifically listed, this is considered the official date of disbandment as it is the General Order in which the batteries of the brigade were disbanded / Bien que cette formation ne soit pas spécifiquement listée, ceci est considéré la date officielle de dissolution puisque c'est l'Ordre Général selon lequel toutes les batteries de la brigade furent dissoutes.

43 GO 103a/15.

44 G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), p. 402.

45 Ibid; and/et Official History of the CEF 1914-1919, Formations and Units Ledger, Document Collection/Collection de documents, 87/252 LG.

46 CRO 334/17.

47 CEF Sailing List, vol. XII.

48 Official History of the CEF 1914-1919, Formations and Units Ledger, Document Collection/Collection de documents, 87/252 LG; and/et G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), passim.

49 GO 191/20.

50 GO 69/16.

51 G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), p. 403.

52 CRO 334/17.

53 CEF Sailing List, vol. XII. The unit also sent a reinforcing draft overseas on 17 February 1917 / L'unité envoya aussi un contingent de renfort outre-mer le 17 février 1917.

54 War Diary, 8th Canadian Siege Battery, 1 April 1917/1er avril 1917, NAC/AN, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4977, File/dossier 475; and/et G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), passim.

55 GO 191/20.

56 GO 151/15.

57 CEF Sailing List, vol. VI.

58 CRO 297/17.

59 GO 82/18.

60 GO 135/39.

61 GO 44/41.

62 GO 44/41; and/et GO 42/41.

63 Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 536.

64 War Diary, 1st Battalion, The Prince Edward Island Highlanders, 10 January 1945/10 janvier 1945, NAC/AN, RG24/GE 24, Series C-3, Vol. 15149.

65 Ibid; and/et GO 114/45.

66 GO 260/41; and/et GO 129/41.

67 War Diary, 2nd Canadian Corps Defence Company (PEILH), 9 October 1941/9 octobre 1941, NAC/AN, RG24/GE 24, Series C-3, Vol. 15311.

68 GO 486/43; and/et GO 60/44. No lineal connection with the '2nd Corps Defence Company' of 14 January 1943 (GO 281/43) to 18 October 1943 (GO 488/43) / Aucun lien de lignée avec le « 2nd Corps Defence Company » du 14 janvier 1943 (GO 281/43) au 18 octobre 1943 (GO 488/43).

69 War Diary, 2nd Canadian Corps Defence Company, passim, NAC/AN, RG24/GE 24, Series C-3, Vol. 15311.

70 GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.