Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - ARMOUR REGIMENTS



The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.



A tower Argent within an annulus Azure edged and inscribed LE RÉGIMENT DE HULL in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown, flanked on either side by maple leaves in autumnal tints and resting upon a beaver all proper, the whole set upon a scroll Azure edged and inscribed ON NE PASSE PAS in letters Or.


The maple leaves and beaver represent service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. "LE REGIMENT DE HULL" is a form of the regimental title and "ON NE PASSE PAS" is the motto of the regiment. The tower symbolizes the theme of the regimental motto.

Top of Page


ON NE PASSE PAS (They shall not pass)

Top of Page


La Marche de la victoire

Top of Page




This Reserve Force regiment originated in Hull, Quebec on 7 August 1914, when a "City Corps Battalion of Infantry, with headquarters at Hull" was authorized to be formed.1 It was designated '70th Regiment' on 15 October 1914;2 'The Hull Regiment' on 12 March 1920;3 'Le Régiment de Hull' on 1 March 1923;4 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de Hull' on 29 July 1941;5 'Le Régiment de Hull' on 18 September 1945;6 '21st Armoured Regiment (Régiment de Hull), RCAC' on 1 April 1946;7 'Le Régiment de Hull (21st Armoured Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;8 and 'Le Régiment de Hull (RCAC)' on 19 May 1958.9

Notes :
Upon redesignation as The Hull Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (230th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Hull Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 136/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Le Régiment de Hull was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1931 and reorganized the same day (GO 46/31). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.


'230th "Overseas" Canadian Forestry Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Gatineau, Quebec


The First World War

The 230th Battalion was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '230th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'.10 It was redesignated the '230th "Overseas" Canadian Forestry Battalion, CEF" on 25 October 1916,11 and embarked for Britain in three drafts on 3 May, 2 June and 25 June 1917.12 Its personnel were absorbed by the 'Canadian Forestry Corps, CEF' in March 1917.13 The battalion was disbanded on 27 July 1918.14

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939 under the designation 'Le Régiment de Hull, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.15 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.16 The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, Le Régiment de Hull, CASF' for active service on 29 July 1941.17 It was redesignated and '4th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion, Type B (Le Régiment de Hull), CASF' on 1 November 1944.18 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of Pacific Command;19 and took part in the expedition to Kiska, Alaska as a component of the 13th Canadian Infantry Brigade Group, serving there from 16 August 1943 to 6 January 1944.20 It embarked for Britain on 25 May 1944.21 The battalion served in England until disbanded on 18 September 1945.22


Le Regiment de Hull (RCAC)


Le Regiment de Hull (RCAC)

1. GO 128/14.

2. Authority for the unit's numeric designation was not published in General Orders. However, the first reference to the designation is given in the Appointments, Promotions and Retirements section of GO 27/15 (15 February 1915) and, more specifically, the 15 October 1914 seniority date given for all officers as published in the Militia List 1915 corrected to 1 January / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ne comporte aucune autorité quant à l'appellation numérique de l'unité. Toutefois, la première référence à cette appellation se retrouve dans la publication « Appointments, Promotions and Retirements » (GO 27/15, 15 février 1915) et, plus spécifiquement, la date d'ancienneté du 15 octobre 1914 attribuée à tous les officiers, telle que publiée dans la « Militia List 1915 », corrigée au 1er janvier.

3. MO 59/20.

4. GO 24/23.

5. GO 42/41.

6. GO 400/45.

7. GO 115/46.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 114/49.

9. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

10. GO 69/16.

11. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 230th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 230.

12. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

13. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 230th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 230.

14. GO 101/18.

15. GO 124/39; and/et GO 135/39.

16. GO 44/41.

17. GO 63/42.

18. GO 78/45.

19. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Histoire officielle de la participation de l'Armée canadienne à la Seconde Guerre mondiale, Volume 1, Six Années de Guerre (Ottawa, 1955), p. 559.

20. Ibid, pp. 502-505. Upon landing, the Japanese were found to have previously evacuated the island / Lors du débarquement, l'on découvrit que les japonais avaient déjà quitté l'île.

21. Document Collection/Collection de documents, 92/252, folder/chemise 49, file/dossier 1.

22. GO 52/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.