Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Artillery Regiments and Batteries
27TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, RCA
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Coaticook, Quebec on 1 April 1910, when the '26th Canadian Horse "Stanstead" Dragoons' were authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '26th Stanstead Dragoons' on 3 September 1912;2 and 'The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles' on 15 March 1920.3 On 15 December 1936 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '27th Field Brigade, RCA'.4 It was redesignated: '27th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;5 '27th (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 March 1943;6 '27th Field Regiment, RCA' on 15 October 1943;7 and '27th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960.8 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 1 April 1970.9
Upon redesignation as The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles on 15 March 1920 (see above and GO 185/20) it was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment (5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Regiment (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 230/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 203/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The perpetuation of the '5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion (Eastern Townships Regiment), CEF' was transferred to the '7th/11th Hussars' (now 'The Sherbrooke Hussars') on 15 December 1936 (GO 154/37).
1. GO 19/10 and/et GO 40/10. GO 19/10 , which was issued on 1 February, authorized the unit's formation on 1 April as the '26th "Stanstead" Dragons'. GO 40/10, which was issued on 1 April, changed the unit's designation to that shown above, therefore, the first designation cannot be considered as official. Formed from four cavalry squadrons authorized on the following dates: 'A Squadron' at Coaticook (E Squadron, 7th Hussars [No. 6 Company, 58th Compton Regiment, 1 February 1900); 'B Squadron' at Magog (D Squadron, 11th Hussars, 1 April 1905); 'C Squadron' at Stanstead ('A Squadron, 13th Scottish Light Dragoons [Troop of Cavalry at Stanstead, 23 February 1872]; and 'D Squadron' at Ayer's Cliff (E Squadron, 6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars, 1 July 1903) / GO 19/10 issue le 1er février et autorisant la formation de l'unité, le 1er avril, sous la désignation « 26th "Stanstead" Dragons ». GO 40/10 issue le 1er avril changea la désignation de l'unité à ce qui est mentionné ci-dessus, la première désignation ne pouvant, en l'occurrence, être officielle. Formé de quatre escadrons de cavalerie autorisés selon les dates suivantes : « A Squadron » à Coaticook (E Squadron, 7th Hussars [No. 6 Company, 58th Compton Regiment, 1er février 1900); « B Squadron » à Magog (D Squadron, 11th Hussars, 1er avril 1905); « C Squadron » à Stanstead (A Squadron, 13th Scottish Light Dragoons [Troop of Cavalry at Stanstead, 23 février 1872]; et « D Squadron » à Ayer's Cliff (E Squadron, 6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars, 1er juillet 1903).
2. GO 159/12.
3. GO 26/20.
4. GO 203/36.
5. GO 273/40.
6. GO 132/43.
7. GO 400/45.
8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 670/60.
9. CFOO 70/17.
Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.