Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Artillery Regiments and Batteries
46TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, RCA
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
This Reserve Force regiment originated on 15 December 1936 and incorporates the following regiment and engineer squadron.
The 46th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA originated in Sorel, Quebec on 5 June 1947 when the '46th Anti-Tank Regiment, RCA' was authorized to be formed.1 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '19th Field Squadron, RCE' (see below) and redesignated the '46th Field Regiment, RCA'.2 It was redesignated the '46th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960.3 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 31 March 1968.4
The 19th Field Squadron, RCE originated in Drummondville, Quebec on 15 December 1936, when the '19th Field Company, RCE' was authorized to be formed.5 It was redesignated: '19th (Reserve) Field Company, RCE' on 7 November 1940;6 '19th Field Company, RCE' on 7 January 1946;7 and '19th Field Squadron, RCE' on 19 June 1947.8 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '46th Anti-Tank Regiment, RCA', as above.
The Second World War
The 19th Field Company mobilized an active service unit designated the '19th Field Company, RCE, CASF' on 10 May 1941.9 It was redesignated the '3rd Battalion, RCE, CASF' on 26 January 1942;10 and it embarked for Britain in May 1943. The battalion landed in North-West Europe in August 1944, where it provided construction and bridging services to the First Canadian Army until the end of the war.11 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 7 January 1946.12
1. CAO 110-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.
2. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 420/55.
3. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 670/60.
4. CFOO/OOFC 68/8.
5. GO 215/36.
6. GO 273/40.
7. GO 400/45 and/et GO 85/46.
8. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.
9. GO 160/41.
10. GO 104/42.
11. Colonel A.J. Kerry and Major W.A. McDill, The History of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, vol 2, 1936-1946 (Ottawa, 1996), passim.
12. GO 85/46.
Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.