Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Artillery Regiments and Batteries

49TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, RCA

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario on 15 November 1913, when an "8-Company Infantry Regiment, City Corps" was authorized to be formed.1 It was designated: '51st Regiment "Rifles"' on 10 February 1914;2 '51st Regiment "The Soo Rifles"' on 16 February 1914;3 '51st Regiment (Soo Rifles)' on 15 August 1914;4 'The Soo Rifles' on 1 May 1920;5 and 'The Sault Ste. Marie Regiment' on 1 September 1923.6 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the 'Headquarters' and 'A Company' of 'The Algonquin Regiment' and redesignated 'The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment (MG)'.7 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment (MG)' on 7 November 1940;8 and '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment' on 24 March 1942.9 On 1 April 1946 the regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated the '58th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment), RCA'.10 It was redesignated: '49th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Sault Ste. Marie Regiment), RCA' on 3 July 1947;11 '49th (Sault Ste. Marie) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' on 16 May 1949;12 '49th (Sault Ste. Marie) Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' on 22 August 1955;13 '49th (Sault Ste. Marie) Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960;14 '49th (Sault Ste. Marie) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 10 December 1962;15 and '49th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 1 January 1981.17

Notes :
Upon redesignation as The Soo Rifles on 1 May 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (119th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and a 2nd Battalion (226th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. On 1 April 1923 the 2nd Battalion was redesignated the 2nd Battalion (227th Battalion, CEF) (GO 52/23). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Soo Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 July 1923 and reorganized the same day (GO 147/23). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Sault Ste. Marie Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 189/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuation

'119th', '226th', and '227th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Allocated Batteries

30th Field Battery, RCA
148th Field Battery, RCA

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

First World War

Details from the 51st Regiment (Soo Rifles) were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.19

The 119th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '119th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',20 embarked for Britain on 8 August 1916.21 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until February 1917, when it was allotted to the 15th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Division in England.22 On 16 April 1918 its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.23 The battalion was disbanded on 29 November 1918.24

The 226th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '226th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',25 embarked for Britain on 16 December 1916.26 Its personnel were absorbed by the '14th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 20 January 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.27 The battalion was disbanded on 27 July 1917.28

The 227th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '227th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',29 embarked for Britain on 11 April 1917.30 Its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 23 April 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.31 The battalion was disbanded on 11 April 1918.32

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939 under the designation 'The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment (MG), CASF (Details)' for local protection duties.33 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.34 The regiment mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Regiment, CASF' for active service on 29 July 1941.35 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 18th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division.36 The battalion was disbanded on 30 October 1945.37

Top of Page


1. GO 180/13.

2. GO 19/14.

3. GO 25/14.

4. GO 136/14.

5. GO 66/20.

6. GO 139/23.

7. GO 189/36.

8. GO 273/40; GO 42/41; GO 131/42; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

9. GO 185/42.

10. GO 115/46.

11. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 38/47.

12. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 128/49.

13. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 458/55.

14. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 670/60.

15. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 740/63.

16. CFOO 3.310, 3 May 79 / OOFC 3.310, 3 mai 79.

17. CFOO 3.310, 1 Jan 81 / OOFC 3.310, 1er jan 81.

18. MOO 41/90, 9 July 90 / DMO 41/90, 9 juillet 90.

19. GO 142/14.

20. GO 151/15.

21. CEF Sailing List, vol. VI.

22. G.W.L. Nicholson, Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War, Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919 (Ottawa, 1962), p. 231.

23. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 119th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672,Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 119; and/et CRO 3863/18.

24. GO 135/18.

25. GO 69/16.

26. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

27. CRO 271/17.

28. GO 89/17.

29. GO 69/16.

30. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 227th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 227.

31. Ibid.

32. GO 82/18.

33. GO 124/39; and GO 135/39.

34. GO 44/41.

35. GO 63/42; and/et GO 42/41.

36. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 538.

37. GO 18/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.