Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Artillery Regiments and Batteries

50TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT (THE PRINCE OF WALES RANGERS), RCA

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 16 November 1866 and incorporates the following regiments, machine gun battalion and artillery batteries.

The 50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA originated in Peterborough, Ontario on 3 May 1867, when the '57th Peterborough Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '57th Battalion of Infantry "Peterborough Rangers"' on 16 January 1880;2 '57th Regiment "Peterborough Rangers"' on 8 May 1900;3 and 'The Peterborough Rangers' on 12 March 1920.4 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' (see below) and the 'Headquarters' and 'C Company' of the '4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (see below) and redesignated 'The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (MG)'.5 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)' on 5 March 1942;6 and 'The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)' on 1 June 1945.7 On 1 April 1946 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '50th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA'.8 It was redesignated: '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA' on 22 August 1955;9 and '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA' on 12 April 1960.10 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '45th Medium Battery, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA'.11 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 1 April 1970.12

Notes :
Upon redesignation as The Peterborough Rangers on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (2nd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (93rd Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Battalion (247th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Peterborough Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 134/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Peterborough Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 3rd Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 30 April 1875, when the '3rd Provisional Regiment of Cavalry' was authorized to be formed.13 It was redesignated: '3rd Provisional Regiment of Cavalry, The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 14 October 1881;14 '3rd Regiment of Cavalry, The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 25 November 1892;15 and '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 1 January 1893.16 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the 'The Peterborough Rangers' and the 'Headquarters' and 'C Company' of the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC, as above.

Notes :
The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 January 1922 and reorganized the same day (GO 187/22). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC originated in Kingston, Ontario on 1 June 1919, when the '4th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.17 It was redesignated the '4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.18 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' and 'The Peterborough Rangers', as above.

Notes :
The 4th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1919 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 4th Machine Gun Battalion was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (MG) (GO 76/37).

The 45th Medium Battery, RCA originated in Cornwall, Ontario on 2 February 1920, when the '45th Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.19 It was redesignated: '45th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;20 and '45th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.21 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA'.22 It was redesignated: '45th (Reserve) Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA' on 7 November 1940;23 '45th/56th (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 20 May 1942;24 '45th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;25 and '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.26 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA' (see below) and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA'.27 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA', as above.

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment originated in Bowmanville, Ontario on 16 November 1866, when the '45th "West Durham" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.28 It was redesignated:'45th "Victoria" Battalion of Infantry' on 1 January 1898;29 '45th Victoria Regiment' on 8 May 1900;30 '45th Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' on 16 July 1917;31 and 'The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' on 12 March 1920.32 On 14 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '45th Field Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:
Upon redesignation as The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (109th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (252nd Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 231/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day. (GO 212/36) This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Field Regiment (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 9 May 1905, when the '10th Brigade of Field Artillery, CA' was authorized to be formed.33 It was redesignated: '4th Brigade, CFA' on 2 February 1920;34 '4th Field Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925;35 '4th Field Brigade, RCA' on 3 June 1935;36 '4th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;37 '43rd (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 24 June 1942;38 '4th Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946;39 and '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.40 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA', as above.

Notes :
The 4th Brigade, CFA was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 186/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 4th Brigade, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 29/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the brigade.

The 56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Goderich, Ontario on 1 April 1912, when the '31st Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.41 It was redesignated: '56th Battery, CFA' on 2 February 1920;42 '56th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;43 and '56th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.44 On 15 December 1936 it was amalgamated with 'The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles)' (see below) and redesignated the '56th (Grenville) Field Battery, (Howitzer), RCA'.45 It was redesignated: '56th (Grenville) Field Battery, RCA' on 1 December 1937;46 '56th Reserve (Grenville) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;47 '56th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;48 and '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.49 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA', the '45th Field Battery (Self- propelled), RCA', as above, and the '4th Field Battery (Self-propelled, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA'.50

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) originated in Prescott, Ontario on 12 April 1867, when the '56th "Prescott" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.51 It was redesignated: '56th "Grenville" Battalion of Infantry' on 9 August 1867;52 '56th Grenville Battalion of Rifles' on 13 September 1871;53 '56th Grenville Battalion "Lisgar Rifles"' on 29 September 1871;54 '56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles"' on 8 May 1900;55 and 'The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles)' on 12 March 1920.56 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '56th Field Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:
The 56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles" was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1911 (GO 52/11) and reorganized on 8 June 1911 (GO 118/11). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day. (GO 212/36) This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Peterborough, Ontario on 9 May 1905, when the '24th Field Battery, CA' was authorized to be formed.57 It was redesignated: '4th Battery, CFA' on 2 February 1920;58 '4th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;59 '4th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935;60 '4th (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;61 '4th (Reserve) Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), RCA' on 1 September 1943;62 '4th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;63 and '4th Field Battery (Self- propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.64 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self-propelled), RCA', the '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA', as above.

Note :
The 4th Battery, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 231/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

Perpetuations

4th Brigade, CFA, CEF'; '2nd', '93rd', '109th', '247th', and '252nd "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'; '4th Battalion, CMGC, CEF'; '4th Battery, CFA, CEF'; and '45th Depot Battery, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Peterborough, Ontario

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

Fenian Raids

The 56th "Grenville" Battalion of Infantry was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the St. Lawrence Rivers frontier, was removed from active service on 3 June 1870.65

The North West Rebellion

The 45th "West Durham" Battalion of Infantry mobilized one company for active service on 10 April 1885.66 It served as part of the 'Midland Battalion' in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.67 The company was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.68

The 57th Battalion of Infantry "Peterborough Rangers mobilized one company for active service on 10 April 1885.69 It served as part of the 'Midland Battalion' in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.70 The company was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.71

The First World War

Details from the 56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.72

The 4th Brigade, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '4th Field Artillery Brigade, CFA, CEF',73 embarked for Britain on 20 May 1915.74 It disembarked in France on 14 September 1915,75 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 3rd Indian (Lahore) Divisional Artillery and the 2nd and 4th Canadian Divisional Artilleries in France and Flanders until the end of the war.76 The brigade was disbanded on 23 October 1920.77

The 2nd Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '2nd Battalion, CEF',78 embarked for Britain on 26 September 1914.79 It disembarked in France on 11 February 1915, where it fought as part of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.80 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.81

The 93rd Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '93rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',82 embarked for Britain on 15 July 1916.83 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 6 October 1916, when its personnel were absorbed by the '39th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.84 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.85

The 109th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '109th "Overseas" Battalion', CEF,86 embarked for Britain on 23 July 1916.87 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until its personnel were absorbed by the '20th', '21st', '38th' and '124th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF' between 5 October and 8 December 1916.88 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.89

The 247th Battalion was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '247th "Overseas" Infantry Battalion',CEF.90 It was absorbed in Canada by the '235th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' on 1 April 1917.91 The battalion was disbanded on 11 April 1918.92

The 252nd Battalion, which was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '252nd "Overseas" Infantry Battalion', CEF,93 embarked for Britain on 2 June 1917.94 It was absorbed by the '6th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 10 June 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.95 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.96

The '4th Battalion, CMGC, CEF', which was organized in France, was authorized on 29 March 1918.97 It provided machine gun support to the 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.98 The battalion was disbanded on 6 November 1920.99

The 4th Battery, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '4th Field Battery, CFA, CEF',100 embarked for Britain on 26 September 1914.101 It disembarked in France on 11 February 1915,102 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 1st Brigade, CFA, CEF in France and Flanders until the end of the war.103 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.104

The 45th Battery, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '45th "Overseas" Depot Battery, CFA, CEF',105 embarked for Britain on 5 February 1916.106 It disembarked in France on 14 July 1916,107 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 9th Brigade, CFA, CEF in France and Flanders until the end of the war.108 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.109

The Second World War

The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) mobilized an active service unit designated the '1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment), CASF' on 5 March 1942.110 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 16th Infantry Brigade, 8th Canadian Division on the Pacific Coast.111 The battalion was disbanded on 10 January 1945.112

The 4th Field Battery mobilized the '4th Anti-Tank Battery, RCA, CASF' on 24 May 1940.113 It provided anti-tank support as part of the '3rd Anti- Tank Regiment, RCA, CASF' in North-West Europe until the end of the war.114 The overseas battery was disbanded on 14 November 1945.115

The '2nd 4th Anti-Tank Battery, RCA, CAOF' was authorized to be formed on 1 June 1945.116 It performed garrison duties as part of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, CAOF in Germany.117 The battery was disbanded on 14 May 1946.118

The 45th Field Battery mobilized the '45th Field Battery (H), RCA, CASF' on 1 September 1939.119 On 1 June 1940 it was amalgamated with the '12th Field Battery, RCA, CASF' and redesignated the '12th/45th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.120 On 1 January 1941 this amalgamation ceased and it was redesignated the '45th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.121 It was redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA, CASF' on 21 November 1943.122 The battery provided medium artillery support as part of the '7th Medium Regiment, RCA, CASF' in North- West Europe until the end of the war.123 The overseas battery was disbanded on 25 September 1945.124

Top of Page


1. MGO of 3 May 67. Formed from seven existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (Peterborough Rifle Company, 2 April 1857), 'No. 2 Company' (Lakefield Infantry Company, 29 October 1863), 'No. 3 Company' (1st Peterborough Infantry Company, 16 January 1863), 'No. 4 Company' (Asburnham Infantry Company, 30 January 1863), 'No. 5 Company' (2nd Peterborough Infantry Company, 8 June 1866), 'No. 6 Company' (Norwood Infantry Company, 17 August 1866), and ?No. 7 Company' (Hastings Infantry Company, 17 August 1866) / Formé de sept compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (« Peterborough Rifle Company », 2 avril 1857), « No. 2 Company » (« Lakefield Infantry Company », 29 octobre 1863), « No. 3 Company » (« 1st Peterborough Infantry Company », 16 janvier 1863), « No. 4 Company » (« Asburnham Infantry Company », 30 janvier 1863), « No. 5 Company » (« 2nd Peterborough Infantry Company », 8 juin 1866), « No. 6 Company » (« Norwood Infantry Company », 17 août 1866), et « No. 7 Company » (« Hastings Infantry Company », 17 août 1866).

2. MGO 01/80.

3. MO 105/1900.

4. MO 59/20.

5. GO 201/36; and/et GO 75/37.

6. GO 128/42; GO 273/40; and/et GO 42/41.

7. GO 264/45.

8. GO 115/46.

9. CAO 76-3, Pt ?B', Supp Issue No. 458/55.

10. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 670/60.

11. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 678/60.

12. CFOO 70/16.

13. MGO 8/75. Formed from three existing independent cavalry troops authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Troop' (1st Troop Cobourg, Northumberland and Durham Squadron, 6 March 1856), 'No. 2 Troop' (2nd Troop Port Hope, Northumberland and Durham Squadron, 3 September 1857), and 'No. 3 Troop' (Peterborough Troop, 23 May 1872) / Formé de trois troupes indépendantes de cavalerie autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Troop » (« 1st Troop Cobourg, Northumberland and Durham Squadron », 6 mars 1856), « No. 2 Troop » (« 2nd Troop Port Hope, Northumberland and Durham Squadron », 3 septembre 1857), et « No. 3 Troop » (« Peterborough Troop », 23 mai 1872).

14. MGO 24/81.

15. GO 45/92.

16. No authority for a change of designation of cavalry units in 1892 is contained within the applicable Militia General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date of 1 January 1893 is consistent with the nomenclature used in the aforementioned sources of 1893 and the Department of Militia and Defence, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1893. (GO 21/93 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1893-94) / Les Ordres Généraux de la Milice ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune autorité quant au changement d'appellation des unités de cavalerie en 1892. La date du 1er janvier 1893 correspond toutefois à la nomenclature utilisée dans les sources de 1893 mentionnées précédemment ainsi que par le Ministère de la Milice et de la défense, The Militia List of the Dominion of Canada, 1893.(GO 21/93 - Establishment Lists of the Active Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Financial Year 1893-94).

17. GO 47/19; and/et GO 1/22.

18. GO 117/24.

19. GO 13/20. The organization of the battery, while authorized, was held in abeyance until 15 December 1936 / L'organisation de la batterie, bien qu'autorisée, demeura en suspens jusqu'au 15 décembre 1936.

20. GO 82/25.

21. GO 58/35.

22. GO 212/36.

23. GO 273/40.

24. GO 264/42.

25. GO 116/46.

26. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.

27. CAO 76-3, Pt ?B', Supp Issue No. 414/54.

28. MGO of 16 Nov 1866. Formed from four existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' at Enniskillen (Bowmanville Rifle Company, 22 January 1862), 'No. 2 Company' (Orono Infantry Company, 22 June 1866), 'No. 3 Company' (Cartwright Infantry Company, 17 August 1866), and 'No. 4 Company' (Newcastle Infantry Company, 17 August 1866) / Formé de quatre compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » à Enniskillen (« Bowmanville Rifle Company », 22 janvier 1862), « No. 2 Company » (« Orno Infantry Company », 22 juin 1866), « No. 3 Company » (« Cartwright Infantry Company », 17 août 1866), et « No. 4 Company » (« Newcastle Infantry Company », 17 août 1866).

29. MGO 9/98.

30. MO 105/1900.

31. GO 75/17.

32. MO 59/20.

33. Special GO, 9 May 1905. Formed from one existing independent field battery, the '14th Field Battery, CA' at Cobourg (authorized on 19 April 1872), and the newly authorized '24th Field Battery, CA' at Peterborough / Formé d'une batterie indépendante de campagne, la « 14th Field Battery, CA » à Cobourg (autorisée le 19 avril 1872), et de la « 24th Field Battery, CA », nouvellement autorisée, à Peterborough.

34. GO 13/20.

35. GO 82/25.

36. GO 58/35.

37. GO 273/40.

38. GO 285/42.

39. GO 116/46.

40. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.

41. GO 60/12. The organization of the battery, while authorized, was held in abeyance until 15 December 1936 / L'organisation de la batterie, bien qu'autorisée, demeura en suspens jusqu'au 15 décembre 1936.

42. GO 13/20.

43. GO 82/25.

44. GO 58/35.

45. GO 212/36; and/et GO 12/37.

46. GO 3/38.

47. GO 273/40.

48. GO 116/46.

49. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue 43/47.

50. CAO 76-3, Pt ?B', Supp Issue No. 414/54.

51. MGO of 12 Apr 67. Formed from six existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (1st Prescott Rifle Company, 3 April 1856), 'No. 2 Company' (2nd Prescott Rifle Company, 11 February 1857), 'No. 3 Company' (Burritt's Rapids Infantry Company, 30 January 1863), and 'No. 4 Company' (Millar's Corners Infantry Company, 8 June 1866) No. 5 Company' (Aultsville Infantry Company, 20 July 1866), and 'No. 6 Company' (Ottawa and Prescott Railway Infantry Company, 15 June 1866) / Formé de six compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (« 1st Prescott Rifle Company », 3 avril 1856), « No. 2 Company » (« 2nd Prescott Rifle Company », 11 février 1857), « No. 3 Company » (« Burritt's Rapids Infantry Company », 30 janvier 1863), « No. 4 Company » (« Millar's Corners Infantry Company », 8 juin 1866) « No. 5 Company » (« Aultsville Infantry Company », 20 juillet 1866), et « No. 6 Company » (« Ottawa and Prescott Railway Infantry Company », 15 juin 1866).

52. MGO of 9 Aug 67.

53. MGO 20/71.

54. MGO 21/71.

55. MO 105/1900.

56. MO 59/20.

57. Special GO, 9 May 1905 / 9 mai 1905.

58. GO 13/20.

59. GO 82/25.

60. GO 58/35.

61. GO 273/40.

62. GO 417/43.

63. GO 115/46.

64. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.

65. Adjutant General of the Militia Report reprinted in Report of the State of the Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Year 1870,(Ottawa, 1871), pp. 60, 62 to 64, and 69 / Rapport de l'Adjudant Général de la Milice imprimé à nouveau dans le « Report of the State of the Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Year 1870 » (Ottawa, 1971), pp. 60, 62 à 64, et 69.

66. MGO 8/85.

67. General Sir Frederick Middleton, Suppression of the Rebellion in the North West Territories of Canada 1885, (Toronto, 1948), p. 42.

68. MGO 16/85.

69. MGO 8/85.

70. General Sir Frederick Middleton, Suppression of the Rebellion in the North West Territories of Canada 1885, (Toronto, 1948), p. 42.

71. MGO 16/85.

72. GO 142/14.

73. GO 36/15.

74. CEF Sailing List, vol. XII.

75. Canadian Artillery Association, Officers who served Overseas in the Great War with the Canadian Artillery, (Ottawa, 1922) p. 5.

76. Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1534-1919,(Toronto, 1967), passim.

77. GO 191/20. Although this formation is not specifically listed, this is considered the official date of disbandment as it is the General Order in which the batteries of the brigade were disbanded / Même si cette formation n'est pas spécifiquement listée, l'on considère cette date comme étant celle de sa dissolution officielle puisqu'elle correspond à celle de toutes les batteries de la brigade.

78. PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 37-39.

79. Ibid., pp. 111 and/et 116.

80. Ibid., p. 454.

81. GO 149/20.

82. GO 151/15.

83. CEF Sailing List, vol. V.

84. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 93rd Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 93.

85. GO 63/17.

86. GO 151/15.

87. CEF Sailing List - vol. VI.

88. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 109th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 109.

89. GO 82/18.

90. GO 48/17.

91. 235th Battalion Historical Record, RG 9III D.1, Vol. 4704, Folder 82, File 4, NAC.

92. GO 82/18.

93. GO 48/17.

94. CEF Sailing List, vol. XI.

95. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 252nd Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672,Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 252.

96. GO 82/18.

97. War Diary, 4th Canadian Machine Gun Battalion, 29 March 1918 (NAC microfilm roll T-10818). The battalion was formed from the 10th, 11th, 12th and 16th Canadian Machine Gun Companies, CEF (Canadian Corps A.29.1.34, dated 18 February 1918 (NAC RG 9 C3 Volume 4020, Folder 47, File 3) /« 4th CMGB » Journal de guerre, 29 mars 1918 (ANC microfilm rouleau T-10818) La batterie fut formée à partir des « 10th », « 11th », « 12th » et « 16th Canadian Machine Gun Companies, CEF ». (« Canadian Corps » A.29.1.34, 18 février 1918 (ANC RG9 C3 Volume 4020 dossier 47, fichier 3).

98. G.W.L. Nicholson, Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War, Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919 (Ottawa, 1962), p. 545.

99. GO 209/20.

100. PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa), 1938), pp. 37-39.

101. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa), 1938), pp. 110-114.

102. The Great Adventure with the 4th Battery, CFA, (N.p., n.d.), p. 9.

103. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1534-1919, (Toronto, 1967), passim.

104. GO 191/20.

105. GO 69/16. The battery was not 'officially' authorized until after it had landed in France. This anomaly can be attributed to the administrative backlog resulting from the large number of personnel being despatched overseas for the war effort / La batterie ne fut officiellement autorisée qu'après son arrivée en France. Cette anomalie peut être attribuée à une accumulation administrative résultant d'un nombre élevé de personnel envoyé outre-mer lors de l'effort de guerre.

106. CEF Sailing List, vol. XII; and/et Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 45th Battery, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries VI, Box/boîte 17, Folder/chemise 2.

107. Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1534-1919, (Toronto, 1967), p. 252.

108. Ibid, passim.

109. GO 191/20.

110. GO 131/42; and/et GO 42/41.

111. Charles P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army. Six War Years, (Ottawa, 1957), p. 539 (Appendix E)

112. GO 114/45.

113. GO 184/40; and GO 50/41.

114. Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1919-1967, (Toronto, 1972), passim.

115. GO 52/46.

116. GO 319/45.

117. Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1919-1967, (Toronto, 1972), pp. 521, 523-4, and 527.

118. GO 201/46.

119. GO 135/39.

120. GO 123/40.

121. GO 74/41.

122. GO 21/44.

123. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 2 (Toronto, 1972), passim.

124. GO 52/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.