Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Artillery Regiments and Batteries

56TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, RCA

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 28 September 1866 and incorporates the following regiments and machine gun company.

The 56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA originated in York, Ontario on 28 September 1866, when the '37th "Haldimand Battalion of Rifles"' were authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '37th Regiment "Haldimand Rifles"' on 8 May 1900;2 and 'The Haldimand Rifles' on 1 May 1920.3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Dufferin Rifles of Canada' (see below) and 'C Company' of the '3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)') and redesignated 'The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada'.4 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada' on 7 November 1940;5 and 'The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada' on 1 June 1945.6 It was converted to artillery on 1 April 1946 and redesignated the '56th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA'.7 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the '25th Medium Regiment (Norfolk Regiment), RCA' (see below), and redesignated the '56th Field Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA'.8 It was redesignated: '56th Field Artillery Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA' on 12 April 1960;9 and '56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 20 November 1975.10

Notes :
Upon redesignation as The Haldimand Rifles on 1 May 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (114th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and a 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve battalion was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Haldimand Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1924 and reorganized the same day (GO 84/24). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Haldimand Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 29/37). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) (MG) (GO 76/37).

The Dufferin Rifles of Canada originated in Brantford, Ontario on 28 September 1866 when the '38th "Brant Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.14 It was redesignated: '38th "Brant" Battalion of Infantry' on 30 November 1866;15 '38th "Brant" Battalion of Rifles' on 24 March 1871;16 '38th "Brant" Battalion or "Dufferin Rifles"' on 3 July 1874;17 '38th Battalion "Dufferin Rifles of Canada"' on 28 September 1883;18 '38th Regiment "Dufferin Rifles of Canada"' on 8 May 1900;19 and 'The Dufferin Rifles of Canada' on 1 May 1920.20 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Haldimand Rifles' and 'C Company' of the '3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC', as above.

Notes :
Upon redesignation as The Dufferin Rifles of Canada on 1 May 1920 (see above) it was organized as a four battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (4th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (36th Battalion, CEF), 3rd Battalion (125th Battalion, CEF), and 4th Battalion (215th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle: The reserve battalions were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Dufferin Rifles of Canada were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 204/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Dufferin Rifles of Canada were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 29/37). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 25th Medium Regiment (Norfolk Regiment), RCA originated in Simcoe, Ontario on 28 September 1866 when the '39th "Norfolk Battalion of Rifles"' were authorized.21 It was redesignated: '39th Regiment "Norfolk Rifles"' on 8 May 1900;22 'The Norfolk Rifles' on 1 May 1920;23 and 'The Norfolk Regiment of Canada' on 15 November 1928.24 It was converted to artillery on 15 December 1936 and designated '25th (Norfolk) Field Brigade, RCA'.25 It was redesignated: '25th Reserve (Norfolk) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;26 '45th Reserve (Norfolk) Field Regiment, RCA' on 5 September 1942;27 '25th Field Regiment (Norfolk Regiment), RCA' on 1 April 1946;28 and '25th Medium Regiment (Norfolk Regiment), RCA' on 28 November 1946.29 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the '56th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles), RCA' as above.

Notes:
Upon redesignation as The Norfolk Rifles on 1 May 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (133rd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and a 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve battalion was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Norfolk Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 March 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Norfolk Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 14 December 1921 and reorganized the next day (GO 189/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Headquarters Location

Brantford, Ontario

Allocated Batteries

10th Field Battery, RCA
54th Field Battery, RCA
69th Field battery, RCA

Perpetuations

'The Provincial Artillery Company', 'Provincial Royal Artillery Drivers (The Car Brigade)', '1st and 2nd Regiments of Norfolk Militia (1812-15)', '41st Battery, CFA, CEF', '4th', '36th', '114th', '125th', '133rd', and '215th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

First World War

The 4th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '4th Battalion, CEF',30 embarked for Britain on 3 October 1914.31 It disembarked in France on 12 February 1915, where it fought as part of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.32 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.33

The 36th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '36th Battalion, CEF',34 embarked for Britain on 19 June 1915.35 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 4 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '3rd Reserve Battalion, CEF'.36 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1917.37

The 114th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '114th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',38 embarked for Britain on 31 October 1916.39 Its personnel were absorbed by the '35th' and '36th Reserve Battalion(s), CEF' on 11 November 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.>40 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.41

The 125th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '125th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',42 embarked for Britain on 7 August 1916.43 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until February 1917, when it was allotted to the 14th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Division in England.44 On 16 April 1918 its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.45 The battalion was disbanded on 29 November 1918.46

The 133rd Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '133rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',47 embarked for Britain on 30 October 1916.48 Its personnel were absorbed by the '23rd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 12 November 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.49 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.50

The 215th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '215th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',51 embarked for Britain on 29 April 1917.52 Its personnel were absorbed by the '2nd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 18 May 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.53 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.54

The 41st Battery, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '41st "Overseas" Field Battery, CEF',55 was redesignated '41st Battery, CFA, CEF' on 25 September 1918.56 It embarked for Britain on 18 August 1915.57 The battery disembarked in France on 14 July 1916,58 where it provided artillery support as part of the 11th Brigade, CFA, CEF in France and Flanders until 24 March 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '30th' and '40th Battery, CFA, CEF'.59 The battery was disbanded on 1 November 1920.60

Note:
When an artillery regiment and its allocated batteries are amalgamated with another regiment and its allocated batteries, perpetuation is assigned to the batteries which maintain the same numerical designation. When a numerical designation is not continued, the perpetuation goes to the regiment as a whole.

The Second World War

The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada mobilized 'The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.61 It was redesignated '1st Battalion, The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles of Canada, CASF' on 7 November 1941.62 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 17th Infantry Brigade, 7th Canadian Division.63 The battalion was disbanded on 8 March 1945.64

Top of Page


1. MGO of 28 Sep 66. Formed from six existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' at York (York Rifle Company, 27 August 1862), 'No. 2 Company' at Dunnville (Dunnville Rifle Company, 24 July 1856), 'No. 3 Company' at Caledonia (Caledonia Rifle Company, 27 August 1862), 'No. 4 Company' at Oneida (Oneida Infantry Company, 6 July 1866), 'No. 5 Company' at Walpole (Walpole Infantry Company, 31 August 1866), and 'No. 6 Company' at Cheapside (Cheapside Infantry Company, 14 September 1866) / Formé de six compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes: « No. 1 Company » à York (York Rifle Company, 27 août 1862), « No. 2 Company » à Dunnville (Dunnville Rifle Company, 24 juillet 1856), « No.3 Company » à Caledonia (Caledonia Rifle Company, 27 août 1862), « No. 4 Company » à Oneida (Oneida Infantry Company, 6 juillet 1866), « No. 5 Company » à Walpole (Walpole Infantry Company, 31 août 1866), et « No. 6 Company » à Cheapside (Cheapside Infantry Company, 14 septembre 1866).

2. MO 105/1900.

3. GO 66/20.

4. GO 179/36; and/et GO 29/37.

5. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

6. GO 264/45.

7. GO 115/46.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No 412/54.

9. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No 670/60.

10. CFOO 3.310, 20 Nov 75 / OOFC 3.310, 20 nov 75.

11. CFOO 3.310, 3 May 79 / OOFC 3.310, 3 mai 79.

12. CFOO 3.310, 1 Jan 81 / OOFC 3.310, 1re jan 81.

13. MOO 74/90, 9 July 90 / DMO 74/90, 9 juillet 90 .

14. MGO of 28 Sep 66. Formed from seven existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' at Paris (Paris Rifle Company, 26 June 1856), 'No. 2 Company' at Brantford (No. 1 Brantford Rifle Company, 13 December 1861), 'No. 3 Company' at Brantford (No. 2 Brantford Highland Rifle Company, 3 July 1862), 'No. 4 Company' at Mount Pleasant (Mount Pleasant Infantry Company, 30 January 1863), 'No. 5 Company' at Brantford (Brantford Infantry Company, 1 June 1866), 'No. 6 Company' at Burford (Burford Infantry Company, 17 August 1866), and ?No. 7 Company' at Newport (Newport Infantry Company, 31 August 1866) / Formé de sept compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » à Paris (Paris Rifle Company, 26 juin 1856),« No. 2 Company » à Brantford (No. 1 Brantford Rifle Company, 13 décembre 1861), « No. 3 Company » à Brantford (No. 2 Brantford Highland Rifle Company, 3 juillet 1862), « No. 4 Company » à Mount Pleasant (Mount Pleasant Infantry Company, 30 janvier 1863), « No. 5 Company » à Brantford (Brantford Infantry Company, 1er juin 1866), « No. 6 Company » à Burford (Burford Infantry Company, 17 août 1866), et « No. 7 Company » à Newport(Newport Infantry Company, 31 août 1866).

15. MGO of 30 Nov 66.

16. MGO 8/71.

17. MGO 18/74; and/et MGO 8/75.

18. MGO 21/83.

19. MO 105/1900.

20. GO 66/20.

21. MGO of 28 Sep 66. Formed from six existing independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' at Simcoe ("Fenwick Rifles" Simcoe, 22 January 1862), 'No. 2 Company' at Villa Nova (Villa Nova Rifle Company, 15 October 1861), 'No. 3 Company' at Walsingham (Walsingham Rifle Company, 23 January 1863), 'No. 4 Company' at Port Rowan (Port Rowan Rifle Company, 23 January 1863), 'No. 5 Company' at Waterford (Waterford Infantry Company, 17 August 1866), and 'No.6 Company' at Simcoe (Simcoe Infantry Company, 17 August 1866) / Formé de six compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » à Simcoe ("Fenwick Rifles" Simcoe, 22 janvier 1862), 'No. 2 Company' à Villa Nova (Villa Nova Rifle Company, 15 Octobre 1861), 'No. 3 Company' à Walsingham (Walsingham Rifle Company, 23 janvier 1863), 'No. 4 Company' à Port Rowan (Port Rowan Rifle Company, 23 janvier 1863), 'No. 5 Company' à Waterford (Waterford Infantry Company, 17 août 1866), et « No. 6 Company » à Simcoe (Simcoe Infantry Company, 17 août 1866).

22. MO 105/1900.

23. GO 66/20.

24. GO 187/28.

25. GO 189/36.

26. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

27. GO 352/42.

28. GO 161/46 superceded by / remplacé par GO 116/46 (with the same effective date) which redesignated the unit 'Headquarters, 25th Field Regiment, RCA' / (avec la même date en vigueur) lequel rebaptise l'unité « Headquarters, 25th Field Regiment, RCA ».

29. GO 289/46.

30. PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa), 1938), pp. 37-39.

31. Ibid., pp. 111 and/et 116.

32. Ibid., p. 454.

33. GO 149/20.

34. GO 86/15.

35. CEF Sailing List, vol. II.

36. CRO 198/17; and/et War Diary, 3rd Reserve Battalion, 4 January 1917/4 janvier 1917, NAC/AN, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4950, File/dossier 470.

37. GO 82/18.

38. GO 151/15.

39. CEF Sailing List, vol. VI.

40. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 114th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 114.

41. GO 63/17.

42. GO 151/15.

43. CEF Sailing List, vol. VII.

44. G.W.L. Nicholson, Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War, Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919 (Ottawa, 1962), p. 231.

45. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 125th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 125; and/et CRO 3863/18.

46. GO 135/18.

47. GO 151/15.

48. CEF Sailing List, vol. VII.

49. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 133rd Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 133.

50. GO 82/18.

51. GO 69/16.

52. CEF Sailing List, vol. X.

53. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 215th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 215.

54. GO 82/18.

55. GO 151/15.

56. CEF RO 1230/18.

57. Official History of the CEF 1914-1919, Formations and Units Ledger, Document Collection/Collection de documents, 87/252 LG.

58. Ibid.

59. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 41st Battery, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 17, Folder/chemise 2; G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1 (Toronto, 1967), passim; and/et A.L..S. Nash, The Story of the 40th Battery C.F.A.-C.E.F., 1915-1919, (n.p., 1972), pp. 38 and 115.

60. GO 191/20.

61. GO 184/40.

62. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

63. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 537.

64. GO 231/45.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.