Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Engineer Regiments and Squadrons


The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


This Reserve Force regiment originated in Toronto, Ontario on 15 June 1920, when the '2nd Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '2nd Divisional Engineer Headquarters, RCE' on 29 April 1936;2 'Headquarters, 2nd District Engineers, RCE' on 15 December 1936;3 'Headquarters, 2nd (Reserve) District Engineers, RCE' on 7 November 1940;4 'Headquarters, RCE, 2nd Division' on 1 April 1946;5 'Headquarters, 2nd Field Engineer Regiment, RCE' on 19 June 1947;6 '2nd Field Engineer Regiment (M)' on 21 May 1975;7 and '2nd Field Engineer Regiment' on 9 July 1990.9


GO 157 of 3 September 1912 authorized the appointment of a lieutenant-colonel as 'Commanding Divisional Engineers' for the 2nd Division. This was a staff appointment and does not constitute authority for the organization of a headquarters unit.

The 2nd Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1930 (GO 128/30). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

Headquarters Location

Toronto, Ontario


The Second World War

Headquarters, 2nd District Engineers mobilized 'Headquarters, 2nd Divisional Engineers, RCE, CASF' on 1 September 1939.11 It embarked for Britain in August 1940. It moved to North West Europe in July 1944 as part of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division where it served until the end of the war.12 The unit was disbanded on 13 October 1945.13

Top of Page

1. GO 89/20

2. GO 75/36.

3. GO 215/36.

4. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

5. GO 400/45; and/et GO 115/46.

6. CAO 76-3, Supp Issue No. 43/47.

7. DGOM Memorandum to C Prog, 1901-1774 TD 5115 (DGOM), 14 May 75; NDHQ Message DOE 255, 16 Jun 75; and/et CFOO 3.310, 20 Nov 75/OOFC 3.310, 20 nov 75.

8. CFOO 3.310, 3 May 79/OOFC 3.310, 3 mai 79.

9. CFOO 3.310, 9 Jul 90/OOFC 3.310, 9 juillet 90.

10. CFOO 5048, 221706Z Dec 98/OOFC 5048, 221706Z déc 98.

11. GO 135/39.

12. Colonel A.J. Kerry and Major W.A. McDill, The History of the Corps Of Royal Canadian Engineers, Volume 2 (1936-1945), (Ottawa: The Military Engineers Association of Canada, 1966), pp. 14, 44 and 274.

13. GO 52/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.