Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Engineer Regiments and Squadrons

31 COMBAT ENGINEER REGIMENT (THE ELGIN'S)

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated in St. Thomas, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '25th "Elgin Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: the '25th Elgin Regiment' on 8 May 1900;2 '25th Regiment' on 17 May 1904;3 'The Elgin Regiment' on 29 March 1920;4 'The Elgin Regiment (Reserve)' on 7 November 1940;5 and 'The Elgin Regiment, RCIC' on 15 February 1946.6 It was converted to armour and redesignated 'The Elgin Regiment (27th Armoured Regiment)' on 1 October 1954;7 and 'The Elgin Regiment (RCAC)' on 19 May 1958.8 The regiment was converted to engineer and redesignated '31 Combat Engineer Regiment (The Elgin's)' on 14 August 1997.9

Notes:

The 25th Elgin Regiment was disbanded on 1 August 1903 (GO 135/03) and reorganized on 17 May 1904 (Special GO dated 17 May 1904, GO 80/04, GO 81/04, and GO 82/04).This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Elgin Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (91st Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Elgin Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 February 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 95/21).This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Elgin Regiment (RCAC) was disbanded on 14 August 1997 for the purpose of conversion to engineer the same day (MOO 97099). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuations

‘Provincial Corps of Artificers’ and '91st Battalion, CEF'.

Headquarters Location

St. Thomas, Ontario.

ALLIANCE

British Army
The Royal Regiment of Fusilier

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The First World War

Details from the 25th Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.10

The 91st Battalion which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '91st "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',11 embarked for Britain on 29 June 1915.12 Its personnel were absorbed by the '12th, 35th, 36th, 37th, 38th and 39th Reserve Battalion'(s) on 15 July 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.13 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.14

the Second World War

The regiment mobilized 'The Elgin Regiment, CASF' on 24 May 1940.15 This regiment was converted to armour and redesignated the '25th Armoured Regiment (The Elgin Regiment), CAC' on 26 January 1942.16 It embarked for Britain on 29 September 1942 as a unit of the 3rd Armoured Brigade, 4th Canadian Armoured Division. The '1st Canadian Tank Delivery Squadron' (formed from "B" Squadron, 25th Armoured Regiment (The Elgin Regiment) on 6 May 194317) landed in Sicily on 16 July 1943, and in Italy on 14 September 1943. The regiment was converted and redesignated '25th Canadian Tank Delivery Regiment (The Elgin Regiment), CAC' on 15 September 1943,18 and on 21 October 1943 the 1st Canadian Tank Delivery Squadron was redesignated "A" Squadron, 25th Canadian Tank Delivery Regiment (The Elgin Regiment), CAC.19 On 15 March 1944 it was redesignated '25th Armoured Delivery Regiment (The Elgin Regiment), CAC'.20 One squadron landed in Normandy on 8 June 1944, followed by Headquarters and other squadrons in July 1944. The squadron in Italy moved to North- West Europe in March 1945. The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 February 1946.21

Top of Page


1. MGO of 14 Sep 66. Formed from five existing independent marine, infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (The 1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at St. Thomas, 17 July 1856), 'No. 2 Company' (Volunteer Marine Company at Port Stanley, 31 January 1862), 'No. 3 Company' (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Vienna, 29 October 1862), 'No. 4 Company' (Tilsonburg Infantry Company, 13 July 1866), and 'No. 5 Company' (Aylmer Infantry Company, 8 June 1866) / Formé de cinq compagnies indépendantes de l'infanterie de marine, d'infanterie et de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes: « No. 1 Company » (The 1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company à St. Thomas, 17 juillet 1856), « No. 2 Company » (Volunteer Marine Company à Port Stanley, 31 janvier 1862), « No. 3 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry à Vienna, 29 octobre 1862), « No. 4 Company » (Tilsonburg Infantry Company, 13 juillet 1866), et « No. 5 Company » ((Aylmer Infantry Company, 8 juin 1866).

2. MO 105/1900.

3. GO 82/04.

4. MO 94/20.

5. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

6. GO 400/45.

7. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 412/54.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

9. MOO 97099, 14 Aug 97/DMO 97099, 14 août 97; and/et NDHQ Organization Message, DEPR 033, 281610Z Aug 97/ Message d'organisation du QGDN, DEPR 033, 281610Z août 97.

10. GO 163/14.

11. GO 151/15.

12. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 91st Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 91.

13. Ibid.

14. PCO 1366, 21 May 15; and/et CRO 1603/17.

15. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

16. GO 132/42.

17. GO 20/44.

18. GO 21/44.

19. GO 21/44.

20. GO 298/44; and/et GO 455/44.

21. GO 52/46; and/et GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.