Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments - Engineer Regiments and Squadrons

33RD FIELD ENGINEER SQUADRON

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


LINEAGE

This Reserve Force squadron originated in Lethbridge, Alberta on 15 December 1936, when the '6th Field Park Company, RCE' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '6th (Reserve) Field Park Company, RCE' on 10 May 1941;2 '33rd Field Park Company, RCE' on 1 April 1946;3 '33rd Field Park Squadron, RCE' on 19 June 1947;4 '33rd Field Squadron, RCE' on 21 September 1954;5 '33rd Field Engineer Squadron (M)' on 21 May 1975;6 and '33rd Field Engineer Squadron' on 23 July 1990.7

Note:

Upon formation of the '8th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE' on 5 June 1947 the 33rd Field Park Squadron was allocated to it as a sub-unit. The unit continued in this capacity, sometimes manned at nil strength, until it gained independent unit status and was organizationally moved from Lethbridge to Calgary, Alberta in July 1990.

Headquarters Location

Calgary, Alberta

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The Second World War

The 6th Field Park Company mobilized the '6th Field Park Company, RCE, CASF' for active service on 10 May 1941.8 It was redesignated '6th Field Park Squadron, RCE, CASF' on 26 January 1942.9 It embarked for Britain in June 1942. The unit landed in France in July 1944 on its way to the North West Europe theatre of operations in which it served as part of 4th Canadian Armoured Division until the end of the war.10 The overseas company was disbanded on 15 February 1946.11

Top of Page


1. GO 215/36.

2. GO 42/41; GO 213/43; and/et GO 439/44.

3. GO 116/46; and/et GO 189/46.

4. CAO 76-3, Issue No. 43/47.

5. CAO 76-3, Part 'B' Sup Issue No. 411/54.

6. DGOM Memorandum to C Prog, 1901-1774 TD 5115 (DGOM), 14 May 75; and/et NDHQ Message DOE 255, 16 Jun 75.

7. MOO 105/90, 23 Jul 90 / DMO 105/90, 23 juillet 90.

8. GO 160/41.

9. GO 132/42.

10. Colonel A.J. Kerry and Major W.A. McDill, The History of the Corps Of Royal Canadian Engineers, Volume 2 (1936-1945), (Ottawa: The Military Engineers Association of Canada, 1966), pp. 67, 282-83, 285, 299, 302, and 427.

11. GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.