Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

THE BROCKVILLE RIFLES

The Brockville Rifles Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

Gules a bugle stringed Argent all within an annulus Sable edged and inscribed THE BROCKVILLE RIFLES in letters Argent surmounting a Maltese cross Sable and Argent bearing in the upper limb a plaque Sable fimbriated and inscribed AMIENS in letters Argent and in the lower limb a like plaque inscribed PURSUIT TO MONS, the whole ensigned by the Royal Crown proper.

Symbolism

The crown represents service to the Sovereign. The Maltese cross, which is based on the insignia of the Royal Guelphic Order and the bugle are common among badges of light infantry and rifle regiments. "THE BROCKVILLE RIFLES" is the regimental title and "AMIENS" and "PURSUIT TO MONS" are regimental battle honours from the First World War.

Top of Page

MOTTO

SEMPER PARATUS(Always prepared)

MARCH

"Bonnie Dundee"

ALLIANCE

British Army

The Rifles

Top of Page

BATTLE HONOURS

The War of 1812

DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA; NIAGARA

Honorary Distinction

The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA

The First World War

AMIENS; ARRAS, 1918; HINDENBURG LINE; PURSUIT TO MONS.

The Second World War

Honorary Distinction
The badge of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, with the year-dates 1944-1945, for jointly mobilizing the unit for service in Europe.

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 5 October 1866 and incorporates the following regiment and artillery battery.

The Brockville Rifles originated in Brockville, Ontario on 5 October 1866, when the '41st "Brockville Battalion of Rifles"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '41st Regiment "Brockville Rifles"' on 8 May 1900;2 'The Brockville Rifles' on 12 March 1920;3 and '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Brockville Rifles' on 18 March 1942.4 The regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated the '60th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Brockville Rifles), RCA' on 1 April 1946.5 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '32nd Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '32nd Locating Battery (Brockville Rifles) RCA'.6 On 1 December 1959, it was converted to infantry and redesignated 'The Brockville Rifles'.7

Notes:
Upon redesignation as The Brockville Rifles on 12 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (156th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Brockville Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 November 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 253/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 32nd Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA originated in Kingston, Ontario on 14 November 1855, when the 'Volunteer Militia Company of Foot Artillery of Kingston' was authorized to be formed.8 It was redesignated: 'Volunteer Militia Field Battery of Artillery of Kingston' on 29 May 1856;9 'No. 5 "Kingston" Field Battery' on 1 July 1894;10 '5th "Kingston" Field Battery, CA' on 28 December 1895.11 '32nd (Kingston) Battery, CFA' on 2 February 1920;12 '32nd (Kingston) Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;13 '32nd (Kingston) Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935;14 and '32nd (Reserve) (Kingston) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;15 '3rd/32nd (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 24 June 1942;16 '32nd (Reserve) Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), RCA' on 15 May 1943;17 '3rd/32nd (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 1 September 1943;,18 and '32nd Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA' on 1 April 1946.19 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '60th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Brockville Rifles), RCA', as above.

Notes:
The Brockville Rifles' date of origin is not traced to the formation date of the Volunteer Militia Company of Foot Artillery of Kingston as regimental lineage is traced from the formation of unit, not sub-unit sized organizations.

The 5th "Kingston" Field Battery, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 23 March 1914 and reorganized the next day (GO 60/14). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

The 32nd (Kingston) Battery, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 February 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 92/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

Perpetuations

'Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada', '1st and 2nd Regiments of Leeds Militia (1812-15)', '156th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'; and '32nd "Overseas" Battery, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Brockville, Ontario

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

Fenian Raids

The 41st "Brockville Battalion of Rifles" was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the St. Lawrence Rivers frontier, was removed from active service on 1 June 1870.20

The First World War

The 156th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '156th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',21 embarked for Britain on 19 October 1916.22 The battalion's personnel were absorbed by the '109th', '119th', '120th', '123rd', and '124th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF' on 1 November 1916.23 On 27 December 1916, the battalion was reformed to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until absorbed by the '6th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 15 February 1918.24 The battalion was disbanded on 29 November 1918.25

The 32nd Battery, which was authorized on 15 August 1915 as the '32nd "Overseas" Battery, CFA, CEF',26 embarked for Britain on 5 February 1916.27 It disembarked in France on 14 July 1916,28 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 9th Brigade, CFA, CEF from 15 July 1916 to 1 July 1917, and with the 8th Army Brigade, CFA from 5 July 1917, in France and Flanders until the end of the war.29 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.30

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Brockville Rifles, CASF' for active service on 18 March 1942.31 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 13th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division,32 and in Jamaica on garrison duty from 5 August 1944 to 27 March 1946.33 The battalion was disbanded on 30 April 1946.34

The regiment provided 'No. 2 Company' of 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940 (see The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders chart for further details).35

The 32nd (Kingston) Field Battery, RCA in conjunction with the '34th Field Battery, RCA' mobilized the '32nd/34th Field Battery, RCA, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.36 This unit was reorganized as two separate batteries on 1 January 1941, designated the '32nd (Kingston) Field Battery, RCA, CASF' and the '34th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.37 It was redesignated the '32nd (Kingston) Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA, CASF' the same day.38 It provided light anti-aircraft artillery support as part of the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA, CASF in North-West Europe until the end of the war.39 The overseas battery was disbanded on 13 November 1945.40

The battery subsequently mobilized the '2nd 32nd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA, CAOF' on 1 June 1945 for active service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany.41 The battery was disbanded on 4 April 1946.42

Top of Page

Note:
No lineal connection with the '32nd Anti-Aircraft Troop, Type L, RCA, CASF' authorized on 17 February 1942 (GO 97/42) and redesignated: '32nd Anti-Aircraft Battery, Type 2L, RCA, CASF' on 13 April 1942 (GO 182/42); and '32nd Anti-Aircraft Battery, Type 3L, RCA, CASF' on 15 June 1943 (GO 366/43). This unit was disbanded on 31 January 1945 (GO 208/45).

COLOURS

Rifle regiments do not carry Colours. They may emblazon their battle honours on unit appointments such as cap badges.

CAMP FLAG

The Brockville Rifles


1. MGO 5 Oct 66. Formed from six independent rifle companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Brockville, 27 September 1855); 'No. 2 Company' (The Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Gananoque, 10 December 1857); 'No. 3 Company' (First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Perth, 17 July 1861); 'No. 4 Company' (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Merrickville, 3 July 1862); 'No. 5 Company' (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Carleton Place, 28 November 1862); and 'No. 6 Company' (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Pakenham, 11 December 1862) / Formé de six compagnies indépendantes de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Brockville, 27 septembre 1855); « No. 2 Company » (The Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Gananoque, 10 décembre 1857); « No. 3 Company » (First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Perth, 17 juillet 1861); « No. 4 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Merrickville, 3 juillet 1862); « No. 5 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Carleton Place, 28 novembre 1862); et « No. 6 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Pakenham, 11 décembre 1862).

2. MO 105/1900.

3. MO 59/20.

4. GO 115/46.

5. GO 42/41; and/et GO 147/42.

6. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 419/54.

7. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 658/59.

8. MGO 14 Nov 55.

9. MGO 29 May 56.

10. GO 62/94.

11. GO 58/95.

12. GO 13/20.

13. GO 82/25.

14. GO 58/35.

15. GO 273/40; GO 42/41; and/et GO 213/43.

16. GO 284/42; and/et Letter, Adjutant General to District Officer Commanding Military District No. 3 on 6 July 1942 (Kardex file 325.009 (D330)). The redesignation was as a result of the '3rd (Reserve) (Gananoque) Field Battery, RCA' being made dormant for the duration of the war and the continuing battery having one troop localized in Gananoque to absorb the personnel of the 3rd (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA / Cette re-désignation fut le résultat de la mise en dormant de la « 3rd (Reserve) (Gananoque) Field Battery, RCA » pour la durée de la guerre et la continué de la batterie ayant une troupe située à Gananoque pour accueillir le personnel de la « 3rd (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA ».

17. GO 310/43.

18. GO 417/43.

19. GO 115/46.

20. Adjutant General of the Militia Annual Report reprinted in Report of the State of the Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Year 1870 (Ottawa, 1871), pp. 64, 65 and/et 77.

21. GO 151/15.

22. CEF Sailing List, vol. VIII.

23. Ibid.

24. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 156th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 156.

25. GO 135/18.

26. GO 103a/15.

27. CEF Sailing List, vol. XII.

28. War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 9th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, LAC/BAC, RG/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4970, File/dossier 548.

29. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 1, 1534-1919, (Toronto, 1967), passim; and/et Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 32nd Battery, CFA, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 17.

30. GO 191/20.

31. GO 147/42.

32. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 538.

33. Kardex file 145.2B2 009 (D11), Movement from Aldershot, NS to Jamaica, B.W.I.; and/et Kardex file 145.2B2 009 (D12), Relief of "Y" Force Movement from Jamaica to Canada.

34. GO 198/46.

35. GO 184/40; and/et Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-0-3, Vol. 1) Battle Honours Committee, Box/boîte 45, Folder/chemise 3. The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders were formed as a composite unit. 'The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (Machine Gun)' provided Headquarters Company, 'The Prince of Wales' Own Regiment (Machine Gun)' provided No. 1 Company, 'The Brockville Rifles' provided No. 2 Company and No. 3 and 4 Companies were provided by 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' / Le « The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders » fut formé en tant qu'unité composite. Le « The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (Machine Gun) » fournit la « Headquarters Company », le « The Prince of Wales' Own Regiment (Machine Gun) » fournit la « No. 1 Company », le « The Brockville Rifles » fournit la « No. 2 Company » et les « No. 3 » et « No. 4 Company » furent fournies par le « The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders ».

36. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

37. GO 45/41.

38. GO 74/41.

39. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Gunners of Canada. The History of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, vol. 2, 1919-1967, (Toronto, 1972), passim.

40. GO 52/46.

41. GO 319/45.

42. GO 162/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.