Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

THE GREY AND SIMCOE FORESTERS

The Grey and Simcoe Foresters Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


Colonel-in-Chief: Her Royal Highness The Princess Anne The Princess Royal LG LT GCVO QSO GCL CD FRS

BADGE

Description

A pomme charged with a stag lodged on a mount within a circle of autumnal maple leaves proper overall on either side a scroll Vert inscribed GREY and and SIMCOE in letters Argent, the whole surmounting a Maltese cross pommé Argent ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and resting on a scroll Vert inscribed FORESTERS in letters Argent.

Symbolism

The maple leaves represent service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The badge of the regiment is styled on that of their former British allied regiment The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) (now, through amalgamation, The Mercian Regiment), whose badge, in turn, was based on that of the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment, which featured a Maltese cross (based on the insignia of the Royal Guelphic Order), and that of the 45th (Nottinghamshire - Sherwood Foresters) Regiment, which featured a stag. The words "GREY and SIMCOE" and "FORESTERS" are a form of the regimental title.

Top of Page

MOTTO

None

MARCH

"The 31st Greys"

ALLIANCE

British Army

The Mercian Regiment

BATTLE HONOURS

North West Rebellion

NORTH WEST CANADA, 1885.

The First World War

ARRAS, 1917, '18; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; AMIENS; HINDENBURG LINE; PURSUIT TO MONS.

Top of Page

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 14 September 1866 and incorporates the following regiments.

The Grey and Simcoe Foresters originated in Owen Sound, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '31st "Grey Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '31st Grey Regiment' on 8 May 1900;2 and 'The Grey Regiment' on 1 May 1920.3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Simcoe Foresters' (see below) and redesignated 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters'.4 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Grey and Simcoe Foresters' on 7 November 1940;5 and 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters (Reserve)' on 1 November 1943.6 The regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated the '45th Anti-Tank Regiment (Grey and Simcoe Foresters), RCA' on 1 April 1946;7 and '45th Anti-Tank Regiment (Self-Propelled) (Grey and Simcoe Foresters), RCA' on 19 June 1947.8 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the '55th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA', (see below), converted to armour and redesignated 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters (28th Armoured Regiment)';9 and 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters (RCAC)' on 19 May 1958.10 It was converted to infantry and redesignated 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters' on 1 September 1970.11

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Grey Regiment on 1 May 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (147th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Grey Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 March 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Grey Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 163/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Simcoe Foresters originated in Barrie, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '35th "Simcoe Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.12 It was redesignated: '35th Battalion "The Simcoe Foresters"' on 5 April 1867;13 '35th Regiment "Simcoe Foresters"' on 8 May 1900;14 and 'The Simcoe Foresters' on 1 May 1920.15 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Grey Regiment', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Simcoe Foresters on 1 May 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (157th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (177th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Simcoe Foresters were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 43/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Simcoe Foresters were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 163/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 55th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA originated in Windsor, Ontario on 1 April 1946, when the '55th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' was authorized to be formed.16 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the '45th Anti-Tank Regiment (Self-Propelled) (Grey and Simcoe Foresters), RCA', as above.

Perpetuations

'147th', '157th', '177th' and '248th Canadian "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Owen Sound, Ontario

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

North West Rebellion

The 35th Battalion "The Simcoe Foresters" mobilized four companies for active service on 10 April 1885.17 The companies served with the 'York and Simcoe Provisional Battalion' as part of the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.18 The companies were removed from active service on 24 July 1885.19

The First World War

Details of the 35th Regiment "Simcoe Foresters" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.20

The 147th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '147th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',21 embarked for Great Britain on 14 November 1916.22 Its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 1 January 1917 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.23 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.24

The 157th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '157th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',25 embarked for Great Britain on 17 October 1916.26 Its personnel were absorbed by the '1st', '19th, '116th' and '125th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' between 28 October and 8 December 1916 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.27 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.28

The 177th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '177th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',29 embarked for Great Britain on 3 May 1917.30 Its personnel were absorbed by the '3rd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 14 May 1917 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.31 The battalion was disbanded on 15 April 1918.32

The 248th Battalion, which was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '248th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',33 embarked for Great Britain on 2 June 1917.34 Its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 21 June 1917 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.35 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1917.36

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized the 'The Grey and Simcoe Foresters, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.37 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Grey and Simcoe Foresters, CASF' on 7 November 1940;38 and, after it was converted to armour, '26th Army Tank Battalion (The Grey and Simcoe Foresters), CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942;39 and '26th Army Tank Regiment (Grey and Simcoe Foresters), CAC, CASF' on 15 May 1942.40 It embarked on 17 June 1943 for Great Britain.41 The regiment was disbanded on 1 November 1943.42

REGIMENTAL COLOUR

The Grey and Simcoe Foresters

CAMP FLAG

The Grey and Simcoe Foresters


1. MGO 14 Sep 66. Formed from five independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates : 'No. 1 Company' (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Owen Sound, 24 October 1862); 'No. 2 Company' (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Meaford, 17 October 1862); 'No. 3 Company' (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Leith, 30 January 1863); 'No. 4 Company (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Durham,6 February 1863); and 'No. 5 Company' (Infantry Company at Owen Sound, 6 July 1866) / Formé de cinq compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeur autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Owen Sound, 24 octobre 1862); « No. 2 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Meaford, 17 octobre 1862); « No. 3 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Leith, 30 janvier 1863); « No. 4 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Durham, 6 février 1863); et « No. 5 Company » (Infantry Company at Owen Sound, 6 juillet 1866).

2. MO 105/1900.

3. GO 66/20.

4. GO 163/36.

5. GO 42/41; GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

6. GO 213/43; GO 88/44; GO 402/44; and/et GO 439/44.

7. GO 115/46.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 43/47.

9. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 411/54.

10. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 602/58.

11. CFOO 70/16.

12. MGO 14 Sep 66. Formed from seven independent infantry and rifle companies authorized on the following dates : 'No. 1 Company' (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Barrie, 27 December 1855); 'No. 2 Company' (The First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Collingwood, 13 November 1856); 'No. 3 Company' (The 1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Cookstown, 19 December 1861); 'No. 4 Company (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Bradford, 9 January 1863); 'No. 5 Company' (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry of Barrie, 9 January 1863); 'No. 6 Company' (Company of Infantry at Oro, 8 June 1866); and 'No. 7 Company' (Company of Infantry at Orillia, 8 June 1866) / Formé de cinq compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et de voltigeur autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Barrie, 27 décembre 1855); « No. 2 Company » (The First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Collingwood, 13 novembre 1856); « No. 3 Company » (The 1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Cookstown, 19 décembre 1861); « No. 4 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Bradford, 9 janvier 1863); « No. 5 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Barrie, 9 janvier 1863); 'No. 6 Company' (Company of Infantry at Oro, 8 juin 1866); et 'No. 7 Company' (Company of Infantry at Orillia, 8 juin 1866).

13. MGO 5 Apr 67.

14. MO 105/1900.

15. GO 66/20.

16. GO 114/46.

17. GO 8/85.

18. General Sir Frederick Middleton, Suppression of the Rebellion in the North West Territories of Canada 1885, (Toronto, 1948), p. 42.

19. MGO 16/85.

20. GO 142/14.

21. GO 151/15.

22. CEF Sailing List, vol. VIII.

23. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 147th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 147.

24. GO 82/18.

25. GO 151/15.

26. CEF Sailing List, vol. VIII.

27. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 157th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 157.

28. GO 82/18.

29. GO 69/16.

30. CEF Sailing List, vol. IX.

31. War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 3rd Reserve Battalion, LAC/BAC, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4950.

32. GO 60/18.

33. GO 48/17.

34. CEF Sailing List, vol. XI.

35. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 248th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 248.

36. GO 82/18.

37. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

38. GO 42/41.

39. GO 132/42.

40. GO 302/42.

41. Brian A. Brown, Foresters: The Canadian Quest for Peace, (Erin, 1991), p.129; and/et Tom Rutherford, The Grey and Simcoe Foresters: An Unofficial History, (Simcoe, 1973), p. 87.

42. GO 88/44.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.