Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

THE NOVA SCOTIA HIGHLANDERS

The Nova Scotia Highlanders Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

A saltire Argent surmounted by the shield of Arms of the Province of Nova Scotia (Argent on a saltire Azure an escutcheon of the Royal Arms of Scotland) encircled by an annulus Azure fimbriated and inscribed above with the motto SIOL NA FEAR FEARAIL and below with the designation NOVA SCOTIA HIGHLANDERS in letters Or.

Symbolism

The saltire refers to St. Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, while the Arms of Nova Scotia refer to the regiment's home in that province.

Top of Page

MOTTO

SIOL NA FEAR FEARAIL (Breed of manly men)

MARCHES

"The Sweet Maid of Glendaruel", The Atholl Highlanders", and "The Piobaireachd of Donald Dhu"

ALLIANCE

British Army

The Mercian Regiment

BATTLE HONOURS

The War of 1812

Honorary Distinction

The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA

South African War

SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1900.

The First World War

YPRES, 1915;FESTUBERT, 1915;MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917; Vimy, 1917; Arleux; Scarpe, 1917; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; Passchendaele; SOMME, 1918; AMIENS; ARRAS, 1918; Scarpe, 1918; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

The Second World War

NORMANDY LANDING; Authie; CAEN; The Orne; BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; Verrières Ridge- Tilly-la-Campagne; FALAISE; The Laison; Chambois; Boulogne, 1944; Calais, 1944; THE SCHELDT; Savojaards Plaat; Breskens Pocket; THE RHINELAND; Waal Flats; The Hochwald; THE RHINE; Zutphen; Leer; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

Top of Page

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 6 April 1871 and incorporates the following regiments and artillery battery.

The Nova Scotia Highlanders originated in Truro, Nova Scotia on 6 April 1871, when the 'Colchester and Hants Provisional Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '78th Colchester and Hants, or Highlanders Battalion of Infantry' on 1 September 1871;2 '78th "Colchester, Hants and Pictou" Battalion of Infantry or "Highlanders"' on 5 September 1879;3 '78th Colchester, Hants and Pictou Regiment "Highlanders"' on 8 May 1900;4 '78th Pictou Regiment "Highlanders"' on 1 March 1910;5 'The Pictou Regiment' on 29 March 1920;6 'The Pictou Highlanders' on 2 July 1920;7 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Pictou Highlanders' on 7 November 1940;8 and 'The Pictou Highlanders (Motor)' on 1 April 1946.9 On 12 November 1954, it was amalgamated with 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders' (see below) and the '189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '1st Battalion' of 'The Nova Scotia Highlanders'.10

On 9 December 2010 the ‘2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton)’ was organized as a separate regiment and redesignated ‘The Cape Breton Highlanders’, leaving the 1st Battalion as the single unit within The Nova Scotia Highlanders.11

Notes:

The 78th Pictou Regiment "Highlanders" were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 May 1910 (GO 55/10) and reorganized the next day (GO 138/10). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Pictou Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (17th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (246th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Pictou Highlanders were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 February 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Nova Scotia Highlanders on 12 November 1954 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment.

On 21 June 1955, the 1st Battalion was redesignated '1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North)' and the 2nd Battalion the '2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton)' (CAO 110-3, Pt 'B' Supp Issue No. 446/55).

On 12 August 1977, all generic titles in the Canadian Forces, such as 'battalion', were made bilingual (Memorandum, DGBB (Director General Bilingualism and Biculturalism), 1901-1/1211-7-4, 12 Aug 77).

The North Nova Scotia Highlanders originated in Amherst, Nova Scotia on 6 April 1871 when the 'Cumberland Provisional Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.12 It was redesignated: '93rd Cumberland Battalion of Infantry' on 12 June 1885;13 '93rd Cumberland Regiment' on 8 May 1900;14 'The Cumberland Regiment' on 29 March 1920;15 and 'The Cumberland Highlanders' on 15 June 1927.16 On 1 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Colchester and Hants Regiment' (less 'C Company') (see below) and 'C Company' of the '6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The Princess Louise Fusiliers') and redesignated 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (Machine Gun)'.17 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (Machine Gun)' on 7 November 1940;18 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders' on 7 March 1941;19 and 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders' on 1 May 1946.20 On 12 November 1954, it was amalgamated with 'The Pictou Highlanders (Motor)' and the '189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Cumberland Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (193rd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Cumberland Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 253/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Cumberland Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 30 November 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 180/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919- 1936) was assigned to 'The Princess Louise Fusiliers (Machine Gun)' (GO 76/37).

On 4 May 1951, the regiment mobilized two temporary Active Force companies designated "E" and "F" (CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 245/51 and SD 1 Letter No. 4237, 5 May 1951). "E" Company was reduced to nil strength upon its personnel being incorporated into the '1st Canadian Highland Battalion' for service in Germany with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (SD 1 Letter No. 4365, 12 November 1951). It was disbanded on 29 July 1953 (CAO 78-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 352/53). "F" Company was initially used as a reinforcement pool for "E" Company. On 15 May 1952, it was reduced to nil strength, upon its personnel being absorbed by the newly formed '2nd Canadian Highland Battalion' for service in Korea with the United Nations (SD 1 Letter No. 4452, 22 April 1952 and CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 283/52). "F" Company was disbanded on 29 July 1953 (CAO 78-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 352/53).

The Colchester and Hants Regiment originated in Truro, Nova Scotia on 1 April 1910, when the '70th Colchester and Hants Regiment' was authorized to be formed.21 It was redesignated the '76th Colchester and Hants Rifles' on 2 May 1910.22 On 15 May 1920, it was amalgamated with the '81st "Hants" Regiment' (see below) and redesignated 'The Colchester and Hants Regiment'.23 On 1 December 1936, it was amalgamated, less "C" Company, with 'The Cumberland Highlanders' and 'C Company' of the '6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Colchester and Hants Regiment on 15 May 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (25th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (106th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Colchester and Hants Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 253/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Colchester and Hants Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 30 November 1936 and reorganized the next day and "C" company was amalgamated with 'The King's Canadian Hussars', now the '88th Field Battery, RCA' on the Supplementary Order of Battle (GO 180/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 81st "Hants" Regiment originated in Windsor, Nova Scotia on 16 February 1914, when an "8 company Regiment of Infantry in Hants County" was authorized to be formed.24 It was redesignated: '68th Regiment' on 1 May 1914;25 and '81st "Hants" Regiment' on 1 June 1914.26 On 15 May 1920, it was amalgamated with the '76th Colchester and Hants Rifles', as above.

The 189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA originated in Stellarton, Nova Scotia on 1 April 1946, when the '189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA' was authorized to be formed.27 On 12 November 1954, it was amalgamated with 'The Pictou Highlanders (Motor)' and 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders', as above.

Perpetuations

‘1st and 2nd Battalions, County of Sydney Regiment (1812-15)’, ‘1st Battalion, Cumberland Regiment (1812-15)’, ‘Parrsborough Corps (1812-15)’, '17th', '25th', '106th', '193rd' and '246th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Truro, Nova Scotia

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

South African War

The 193rd Cumberland Battalion of Infantry contributed volunteers for the Canadian Contingents during the South African War.28

The First World War

Details of the 76th Colchester and Hants Rifles were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.29

Details of the 78th Pictou Regiment "Highlanders" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.30

Details of the 93rd Cumberland Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.31

The 17th Battalion, which was authorized on 19 September 1914 as the '17th Battalion, CEF',32 embarked for Great Britain on 29 September 1914.33 It was redesignated '17th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 29 April 1915, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.34 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.35

The 25th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '25th Battalion, CEF',36 embarked for Great Britain on 20 May 1915.37 It disembarked in France on 16 September 1916, where it fought as part of the 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.38 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920.39

The 106th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '106th "Overseas" Battalion', CEF,40 embarked for Great Britain on 15 July 1916.41 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 5 October 1916, when its personnel were absorbed by the '40th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'.42 The battalion was disbanded on 8 December 1917.43

The 193rd Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '193rd "Overseas" Battalion', CEF,44 embarked for Great Britain on 12 October 1916.45 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 20 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '17th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.46 The battalion was disbanded on 18 February 1918.47

The 246th Battalion, which was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '246th "Overseas" Infantry Battalion', CEF,48 embarked for Great Britain on 2 June 1917.49 On 9 June 1917, its personnel were absorbed by the '17th Reserve Battalion, CEF' to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.50 The battalion was disbanded on 11 April 1918.51

The Second World War

Details of The Pictou Highlanders were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Pictou Highlanders, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.52 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.53

The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Pictou Highlanders, CASF' for active service on 1 January 1941.54 It served in Newfoundland from March to August 1943 in a home defence role as part of Atlantic Command.55 In September 1943, one company was despatched to the Bahamas, where it performed garrison duty until 28 March 1946.56 The battalion was disbanded on 30 April 1946.57

On 10 September 1942, a sub-component of the regiment, designated 'Special Infantry Company (Pictou Highlanders), CASF', was mobilized for active service.58 It served in Bermuda on garrison duty from 12 November 1942 to 1 April 1946.59 The company was disbanded on 30 April 1946.60

Details of The North Nova Scotia Highlanders were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (Machine Gun), CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.61 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.62

The regiment subsequently mobilized 'The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.63 It was redesignated the '1st Battalion, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, CASF' on 7 November 1940.64 It embarked for Great Britain on 18 July 1941.65 On D-Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France, as part of the 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and it continued to fight in North-West Europe until the end of the war.66 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 January 1946.67

On 1 June 1945, the regiment mobilized the '3rd Battalion, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, CIC, CAOF' for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany.68 The battalion was disbanded on 1 May 1946.69

REGIMENTAL COLOUR

The Nova Scotia Highlanders

CAMP FLAG

The Nova Scotia Highlanders


1. MGO 9/71. Formed from five independent infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' ([1st] Infantry Company at Truro, 28 May 1869), 'No. 2 Company' (Infantry Company at Onslow, 16 July 1869), 'No. 3 Company' ([2nd] Infantry Company at Truro,5 November 1869), 'No. 4 Company' (Infantry Company at Shubenacadie, 10 September 1869), and 'No. 5 Company' (Infantry Company at Windsor, 2 July 1869) / Formé de cinq compagnies d'infanterie indépendante autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » ([1st] Infantry Company at Truro, 28 mai 1869), « No. 2 Company » (Infantry Company at Onslow, 16 juillet 1869), « No. 3 Company » ([2nd] Infantry Company at Truro, 5 novembre 1869), «No. 4 Company » (Infantry Company at Shubenacadie, 10 septembre 1869), et « No. 5 Company » (Infantry Company at Windsor, 2 juillet 1869).

2. MGO 19/71.

3. GO 21/79.

4. MO 105/1900.

5. GO 27/10.

6. MO 97/20.

7. GO 103/20.

8. GO 42/41.

9. GO 115/46.

10. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 424/55.

11. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 424/55.

12. GO 9/71. Formed from four independent infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (Infantry Company at Amherst, 8 October 1869), 'No. 2 Company' (Second Infantry Company in Cumberland County [River Philip], 16 October 1869), 'No. 3 Company' (Infantry Company at Maceau and River Herbert, 5 November 1869), et 'No. 4 Company' (Infantry Company at Parrsboro, 26 November 1869) / Formé de quatre compagnies d'infanterie indépendantes autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (Infantry Company at Amherst, 8 octobre 1869), « No. 2 Company » (Second Infantry Company, Cumberland County, [à River Philip]), 16 octobre 1869), « No. 3 Company » (Infantry Company at Maceau and River Herbert, 5 novembre 1869), et « No. 4 Company » (Infantry Company at Parrsboro, 26 novembre 1869).

13. GO 15/85.

14. MO 105/1900.

15. MO 97/20.

16. GO 49/27.

17. GO 180/36.

18. GO 42/41.

19. GO 107/41.

20. GO 400/45; and/et GO 201/46.

21. GO 38/10.

22. GO 57/10.

23. GO 77/20.

24. GO 23/14.

25. GO 79/14.

26. GO 99/14.

27. GO 114/46

28. GO 60/33.

29. GO 163/14.

30. GO 163/14.

31. GO 163/14.

32. Valcartier Camp Order No. 624/14; and/et Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 50-51 (Note 3).

33. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices and Maps (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 112 and/et 116.

34. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 17th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/série IV, Box/boîte 11, Folder/chemise 17; and/et Shorncliffe Camp Order 450/15. On 23 January 1917, its personnel, along with those of the 193rd and 219th Battalions, were absorbed by a new '17th Reserve Battalion, CEF' / Le 23 janvier 1917, son personnel, avec ceux des « 193rd » et « 219th » bataillons, furent versés au nouvellement formé « 17th Reserve Battalion, CEF ».

35. GO 63/17.

36. GO 36/15.

37. CEF Sailing List, vol. II.

38. War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 25th Canadian Infantry Battalion, LAC/BAC, RG/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4933, File/dossier 417.

39. GO 149/20.

40. GO 151/15.

41. CEF Sailing List, vol. VI.

42. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 106th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 12, Folder/chemise 106.

43. GO 82/18.

44. GO 69/16.

45. CEF Sailing List, vol. IX.

46. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 193rd Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 193.

47. GO 82/18.

48. GO 48/17.

49. CEF Sailing List, vol. XI. The unit also sent a reinforcing draft overseas on 25 March 1917 / L'unité envoya également un contingent de renforts outre-mer les 28 mars 1917 et 13 novembre 1915.

50. Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 246th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 246.

51. GO 82/18.

52. GO 124/39; and/et GO 135/39.

53. GO 44/41.

54. GO 44/41; and/et GO 42/41.

55. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1, Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), pp. 181, 536 and/et 539.

56. Ibid, p. 181; and/et Kardex 145.2P2009 (D11), Orders, correspondence, nominal rolls, etc. of "N" Force. The relief, which was effected in four flights, was completed by 10 October 1943 / La relève, qui fut effectuée en quatre vols, fut complétée le 10 octobre 1943.

57. GO 153/46; and/et GO 206/46.

58. GO 398/42.

59. Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-30) The Pictou Highlanders (Motor), Box/boîte 36, Folder/chemise 14.

60. GO 198/46.

61. GO 124/39; and/et GO 135/39.

62. GO 44/41.

63. GO 184/40; and/et GO 50/41.

64. GO 42/41.

65. Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-27) The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, Box/boîte 36, Folder/chemise 11.

66. Will R. Bird, No Retreating Footsteps: The Story of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, (Kentville, 1954), passim.

67. GO 85/46.

68. GO 319/45.

69. GO 201/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.