Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

THE PERTH REGIMENT

The Perth Regiment Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

A saltire Azure between two thistles proper surmounted by a maple leaf Or charged with a hurt bearing the emblem of Perth County ensigned by a beaver couchant Argent, the hurt within an annulus Azure edged Argent inscribed THE PERTH REGIMENT in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and resting on a scroll Azure edged Argent and inscribed AUDAX ET CAUTUS in letters Or.

Symbolism

The maple leaf represents service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The shield, which is the emblem of Perth County and the geographical base of the regiment, is quartered with a beaver above bearing in the first a shock of wheat, in the second a locomotive, in the third a plough, and in the fourth a bee hive. The St. Andrew's Cross (the patron saint of Scotland) and the thistles (the national flower of Scotland) are traditional Scottish symbols, the regiment being a highland infantry unit. "THE PERTH REGIMENT" is the regimental title and "AUDAX ET CAUTUS" is the motto of the regiment.

Top of Page

MOTTO

AUDAX ET CAUTUS (Bold and wary)

MARCH

"Kenmure's On and Awa"

BATTLE HONOURS

First World War

YPRES, 1915; FESTUBERT, 1915.

The Second World War

LIRI VALLEY; Melfa Crossing; Ceprano; GOTHIC LINE; Montecchio; Point 204; CORIANO; LAMONE CROSSING; Fosso Munio; Conventello-Comacchio; ITALY, 1944-1945; Ijsselmeer; Delfzijl Pocket; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.

Top of Page

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated in Stratford, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '28th "Perth Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '28th Perth Regiment' on 8 May 1900;2 and 'The Perth Regiment' on 29 March 1920.3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'C Company' of the '2nd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The Royal Canadian Regiment') and redesignated 'The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun).4 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun)' on 7 November 1940;5 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Motor)' on 1 April 1941;6 and 'The Perth Regiment' on 1 April 1946.7 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the 'Highland Light Infantry of Canada' and redesignated 'The Perth and Waterloo Regiment (Highland Light Infantry of Canada)'.8 On 1 April 1957, these two regiments ceased to be amalgamated and resumed their former designations.9 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.10

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Perth Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (110th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Perth Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 16 August 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 174/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Perth Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 146/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 2nd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919- 1936) was assigned to The Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) (Machine Gun) (GO 148/36).

The Perth and Waterloo Regiment (Highland Light Infantry of Canada) was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1957 (CAO 78-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57), and reorganized the same day as two separate regiments (CAO 110-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57, and CAO 78-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/58). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuations

'110th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Stratford, Ontario

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The First World War

Details of the regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.11

The 110th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '110th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',12 embarked for Great Britain on 31 October 1916.13 On 2 January 1917, its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF' to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.14 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.15

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized 'The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.16 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF' on 7 November 1940;17 '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Motor), CASF' on 11 February 1941;18 and '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment, CIC, CASF' on 31 January 1943.19 On 9 October 1941 it embarked for Great Britain.20 The battalion landed in Italy on 8 November 1943, as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division.21 In March 1945, the battalion moved with the 1st Canadian Corps to North-West Europe, where it fought until the end of the war.22 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 31 January 1946.23

REGIMENTAL COLOUR

The Perth Regiment

CAMP FLAG

No camp flag recorded.


1. MGO 14 Sep 66. Formed from three independent infantry companies and one rifle company authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (The First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Stratford, 6 May 1858), 'No. 2 Company' (Volunteer Militia Infantry Company at Stratford, 29 October 1862), 'No. 3 Company' (St. Mary's Infantry Company, 8 June 1866), and 'No. 4 Company' (Listowell Infantry Company, 31 August 1866) / Formé de trois compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie et une compagnie de voltigeurs autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (The First Volunteer Militia Rifle Company of Stratford, 6 mai 1858), « No. 2 Company » (One Volunteer Militia Infantry Company at Stratford, 29 octobre 1862), « No. 3 Company » (St. Mary's Infantry Company, 8 juin 1866), et « No. 4 Company » (Listowell Infantry Company, 31 août 1866).

2. MO 105/1900.

3. MO 94/20.

4. GO 146/36; and GO 148/46.

5. GO 42/41.

6. GO 122/41.

7. GO 115/46. The regiment was converted to a Highland infantry unit on 1 April 1945 / Le régiment fut converti a une unité d'infanterie highland le 1er avril 1945.

8. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No 417/54.

9. CAO 110-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57.

10. SD 1 Letter No. 64/61; and/et Message CENCOM, 2001-3/1-23/3 (G)/CC 2001-3/1-1 (G), 14 May 65.

11. GO 163/14.

12. GO 151/15.

13. CEF Sailing List, vol. VI.

14. CRO 198/17.

15. GO 82/18.

16. GO 135/39.

17. GO 42/41.

18. GO 88/41.

19. GO 486/43.

20. Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-29)The Perth Regiment, Box/boîte 36, Folder/chemise 13.

21. Stafford, Johnston, The Fighting Perths, (Stratford, 1964), p. 58.

22. Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-29)The Perth Regiment, Box/boîte 36, Folder/chemise 13.

23. GO 111/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.