Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

LE RÉGIMENT DE LA CHAUDIÈRE

Le Régiment de la Chaudière Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


Colonel-in-Chief: Her Majesty The Queen

BADGE

Description

Two machine guns in saltire muzzles upward Argent ensigned by a fleur-de-lis Or issuant from a beaver couchant proper and above a scroll Gules inscribed AERE PERENNIUS between two maple leaves Argent.

Symbolism

The maple leaves and beaver represent service to Canada. The fleur-de-lis is an emblem of the province of Quebec and was the central device of the badge of Le Régiment de Beauce. The Vickers guns are of the type used by the regiment when it was reclassified as a machine gun regiment in 1936. "AERE PERENNIUS" is the motto of the regiment.

Top of Page

MOTTO

AERE PERENNIUS (More lasting than bronze)

MARCHES

"Sambre et Meuse" and "The Longest Day"

BATTLE HONOURS

The War of 1812

DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA; CHÂTEAUGUAY

Honorary Distinction

The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA

The Second World War

NORMANDY LANDING; CAEN; Carpiquet; BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; FALAISE; The Laison; Chambois; Boulogne, 1944; Calais, 1944; THE SCHELDT; Breskens Pocket; THE RHINELAND; Waal Flats; The Hochwald; THE RHINE; Emmerich-Hoch Elten; Zutphen; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

Top of Page

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 9 April 1869 and incorporates the following regiments.

Le Régiment de la Chaudière originated in Saint- Anselme, Quebec on 9 April 1869, when 'The Provisional Battalion of "Dorchester"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated the '92nd "Dorchester" Battalion of Infantry' on 12 June 1885.2 On 1 August 1899, it was amalgamated with the '23rd "Beauce" Battalion of Infantry' (see below), retaining the same designation.3 It was redesignated: '92nd Dorchester Regiment' on 8 May 1900;4 'Le Régiment de Dorchester' on 29 March 1920;5 'The Beauce Regiment' on 15 March 1921;6 'Le Régiment de Beauce' on 1 May 1921;7 and 'Le Régiment de Dorchester et Beauce' on 1 February 1932.8 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '5th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (see below), and redesignated 'Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses)'.9 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses)' on 7 November 1940;10 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de la Chaudière' on 1 April 1941;11 and 'Le Régiment de la Chaudière' on 24 April 1946.12 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with 'Le Régiment de Lévis' (see below), retaining the same designation.13

Notes:

Upon redesignation as Le Régiment de Dorchester on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Beauce Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 January 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 80/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Le Régiment de Dorchester et Beauce was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 204/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 23rd "Beauce" Battalion of Infantry originated in Sainte-Marie, Québec on 9 April 1869, when 'The Provisional Battalion of "Beauce"' was authorized to be formed.14 It was redesignated '23rd "Beauce" Battalion of Infantry' on 19 May 1871.15 On 1 August 1899, it was amalgamated with the '92nd Dorchester Battalion of Infantry', as above.

Le Régiment de Lévis originated in Lévis, Quebec on 1 December 1902, when the '17th Regiment of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.16 It was redesignated: 'Le Régiment de Lévis' on 29 March 1920;17 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de Lévis' on 12 May 1942;18 and 'Le Régiment de Lévis' on 7 November 1945.19 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with 'Le Régiment de la Chaudière', as above.

Notes:

No lineal connection with the '17th Levis Regiment' of 1863 to 1901.

Upon redesignation as Le Régiment de Lévis on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

Le Régiment de Lévis was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 232/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 5th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC originated in Quebec City, Quebec on 1 June 1919, when the '5th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.20 It was redesignated '5th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.21 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'Le Régiment de Dorchester et Beauce', as above.

Notes:

The 5th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1920 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 5th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 204/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battalion.

Perpetuations

‘1st Battalion, Select Embodied Militia’, ‘Dorchester Provincial Light Dragoons’, and ‘1st Lotbinière Division (1812-15)’

Headquarters Location

Lévis, Quebec

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The Second World War

Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses) mobilized 'Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.22 It was redesignated: 'Le Régiment de la Chaudière, CASF' on 24 May 1940;23 and '1st Battalion, Le Régiment de la Chaudière, CASF' on 7 November 1940.24 It embarked for Great Britain on 21 July 1941.25 On D- Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France as a part of the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.26 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 January 1946.27

The regiment subsequently mobilized the '3rd Battalion, Le Régiment de la Chaudière, CIC, CAOF' on 1 June 1945 for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany.28 The battalion was disbanded on 24 April 1946.29

Details of Le Régiment de Lévis were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'Le Régiment de Lévis, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.30 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.31 Details of the regiment were again called out on service on 1 January 1941, under the designation 'Details of 1st (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de Lévis'.32 They were redesignated 'Details of 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Le Régiment de Lévis' on 12 May 1942.33 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 May 1943.34

The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, Le Régiment de Lévis, CASF' for active service on 12 May 1942.35 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of Military District No. 5.36 The battalion was disbanded on 15 October 1943.37

REGIMENTAL COLOUR

Le Régiment de la Chaudière

CAMP FLAG

Le Régiment de la Chaudière


1. MGO 9 Apr 69. Formé de quatre compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Claire, 18 décembre 1868); « No. 2 Company » (An Infantry Company at Saint-Anselme, 18 décembre 1868); « No. 3 Company » (An Infantry Company at St. Isidore, 18 décembre 1868); et « No. 4 Company » (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Justine de la Trappe, 8 janvier 1869) /Formed from four independent infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Claire, 18 December 1868); 'No. 2 Company' (An Infantry Company at Saint-Anselme, 18 December 1868); 'No. 3 Company' (An Infantry Company at St. Isidore, 18 December 1868); and 'No. 4 Company' (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Justine de la Trappe, 8 January 1869).

2. MGO 15/85.

3. Les Ordres Généraux, ou les textes de séances du rapport Annuel de la Milice, ne comportent aucune date d'autorité pour le fusionnement en 1892. La date du 1er août 1899 correspond toutefois aux sources de 1899 mentionnées précédemment ainsi qu'aux Regimental Establishments of the Active Militia including the Permanent Force for the Financial Year 1899-1900) / No authority date for amalgamation in 1899 is contained within the applicable General Orders or Annual Militia Report sessional papers. However, the date of 1 August 1899 is consistent with the aforementioned sources of 1899 and the Regimental Establishments of the Active Militia including the Permanent Force for the Financial Year 1899-1900).

4. MO 105/1900.

5. MO 96/20.

6. GO 77/21.

7. GO 137/21.

8. GO 15/32.

9. GO 204/36.

10. GO 42/41.

11. GO 122/41.

12. GO 400/45; et/and GO 85/46.

13. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 420/55.

14. MGO 9 Apr 69. Formé de cinq compagnies indépendantes d'infanterie autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (An Infantry Company at Saint-Vital-de-Lambton, No. 1, 18 décembre 1868); « No. 2 Company » (An Infantry Company at Alymer, 18 décembre 1868); « No. 3 Company » (An Infantry Company at Saint-François, 18 décembre 1868); « No. 4 Company » (An Infantry Company at Saint-Vital-de- Lambton, No. 2, 8 janvier 1869) et « No. 5 Company » (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Marie, 6 février 1869) / Formed from five independent infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (An Infantry Company at Saint-Vital-de-Lambton, No. 1, 18 December 1868); 'No. 2 Company' (An Infantry Company at Aylmer, 18 December 1868); 'No. 3 Company' (An Infantry Company at Saint- François, 18 December 1868); 'No. 4 Company' (An Infantry Company at Saint-Vital-de-Lambton, No. 2, 18 December 1868); and 'No. 5 Company' (An Infantry Company at Sainte-Marie, 6 February 1869).

15. MGO 13/71.

16. GO 124/02.

17. MO 96/20.

18. GO 309/42; et/and GO 42/41.

19. GO 400/45.

20. GO 47/19; et/and GO 1/20.

21. GO 117/24.

22. GO 135/39.

23. GO 184/40; et/and GO 50/41.

24. GO 42/41.

25. Jacques Castonguay, Armand Ross et Michel Litalien, Le Régiment de la Chaudière 1869-2004, (Lévis, 2005), p. 156.

26. Ibid, passim.

27. GO 85/46.

28. GO 319/45.

29. GO 201/46.

30. GO 124/39; et/and GO 135/39.

31. GO 44/41.

32. GO 44/41; GO 42/41; et/and GO 125/39.

33. GO 42/41; et/and GO 309/42.

34. GO 301/43.

35. GO 309/42; et/and GO 42/41.

36. Colonel C.P. Stacey, Histoire officiel de la participation de l'Armée canadienne à la Seconde Guerre mondiale, Volume 1, Six Années de guerre (Ottawa, 1955), p. 557; et/and G.E. Marquis, Le Régiment de Lévis, Historique et Album, (Lévis, 1952), pp. 192-201.

37. GO 15/44.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.