Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments


The Royal Newfoundland Regiment Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.

Colonel-in-Chief: Her Royal Highness The Princess Anne The Princess Royal LG LT GCVO QSO GCL CD FRS



Gules a caribou's head and neck proper all within a wreath of laurel Or ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and set on a scroll Azure inscribed ROYAL NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT in letters Or.


The Crown represents service to the Sovereign. The laurel wreath, which symbolizes excellence and achievement, dates back to competitions and combat in ancient Greek times. The woodland caribou head is based on the badge of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment of the First World War and which itself was copied from that of the Newfoundland Highlanders, a para-military cadet corps formed in 1907. The claret background was one of the First World War regiment's livery colours, the other being white. "ROYAL NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT" is a form of the regimental title.

Top of Page




"The Banks of Newfoundland"


British Army

The Royal Regiment of Scotland

Australian Army

The Royal New South Wales Regiment


The War of 1812

DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA; DETROIT; MAUMEE (all three honours awarded in commemoration of the Royal Newfoundland Fencible Infantry)

The First World War

SOMME, 1916; Albert (Beaumont Hamel), 1916; Le Transloy; ARRAS, 1917; Scarpe, 1917; YPRES, 1917, 18; Langemarck, 1917; Poelcappelle; CAMBRAI, 1917; LYS; Bailleul; Kemmel; COURTRAI; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1916-18; GALLIPOLI, 1915-16; EGYPT, 1915-16.


This Reserve Force regiment originated on 24 October 1949 and incorporates the following regiments

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment originated in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador on 24 October 1949, when 'The Newfoundland Regiment, RCIC' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated 'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, RCIC' on 14 December 1949.2 On 1 March 1961, it was amalgamated with the '166th (Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' (see below), and redesignated 'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment'.3


On 28 March 1974, it was organized as a two battalion regiment, consisting of the 1st Battalion with "D", "E" and "F" companies and the 2nd Battalion with "A" and "B" companies (Message, NDHQ DOE 261500Z MAR 74).

On 12 August 1977, all generic titles in the Canadian Forces, such as 'battalion', were made bilingual (Memorandum, DGBB (Director General Bilingualism and Biculturalism), 1901-1/1211-7-4, 12 Aug 77).

On 15 June 1926, the 1st Battalion was redesignated the 1st Battalion (4th Battalion, CEF) (GO 57/26). The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The '166th (Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' originated in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador on 24 October 1949, when the '166th (Newfoundland) Field Regiment, RCA' was authorized to be formed.4 It was redesignated the '166th (Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960.5 On 1 March 1961, it was amalgamated with 'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, RCIC', as above.


'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment', 1914 1919

Headquarters Location

1st Battalion: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
2nd Battalion: Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador

Top of Page


The First World War

On 4 September 1914, the Legislative Assembly of Newfoundland passed an Act authorizing the formation of a corps for war service. This is considered to be the official date of formation of 'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment' of 1914-1919.6 The first contingent, consisting of a headquarters and two companies, embarked for Britain on 3 October 1914.7 In February 1915, when through the addition of a second contingent from Newfoundland, it reached battalion strength and was designated the '1st Newfoundland Regiment'.8 It was redesignated 'The Royal Newfoundland Regiment' on 25 January 1918.9 On the night of 19 September 1915, the battalion landed at Suvla Bay on the Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey, as part of the 88th Infantry Brigade, 29th Division.10 The battalion fought in the Dardanelles campaign until 9 January 1916, and after a brief period spent in Egypt, landed in France on 22 March 1916, as part of the 88th Brigade. On 13 September 1918 it was allocated to the 28th Infantry Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division, with whom it continued to fight in France and Flanders until the end of the war.11The regiment was disbanded on 26 August 1919.12

The Second World War

Notes :

The regiment has no direct link with military activity in Newfoundland during The Second World War. However, a volunteer force was recruited in Newfoundland in 1939. It was divided into active and part-time components respectively designated the Newfoundland Militia and Newfoundland Auxiliary Militia or Home Guard. In March 1943 the active force was redesignated the Newfoundland Regiment, and the Home Guard became the Newfoundland Militia. The Newfoundland forces, which also included a Coastal Defence Battery on Bell Island, carried out guard duty at vulnerable points and also acted as a training depot for volunteers for the two Royal Artillery Regiments.13

The 166th (Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA has no lineal connection with, but may be assumed to be heir to the traditions of the two artillery regiments composed of Newfoundland personnel which served in the British Army; namely, the '166th (Newfoundland) Field Regiment, RA' which served in Britain, North Africa and Italy (authorized as the '57th Heavy Regiment, RA' on 8 April 1940, redesignated 15 November 1941 and disbanded 31 October 1945) and the '59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment, RA', which served in Britain and North-West Europe (authorized 15 June 1940 and disbanded 31 August 1945).14

Top of Page


The Royal Newfoundland Regiment


The Royal Newfoundland Regiment

1. CAO 110-3, Supp Issue No. 152/49. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment cannot establish its identity with earlier units since there is no unbroken existence. It may, however, claim to inherit the traditions of early regiments which were units of the British Army, although raised in Newfoundland. A Newfoundland Regiment of Fencible Infantry was formed in 1795 and disbanded in 1802. In 1803, a new unit, the Newfoundland Fencible Infantry was formed. In 1806 it became the Royal Newfoundland Fencible Infantry and served with distinction through the War of 1812. It was disbanded in 1816 / Le « The Royal Newfoundland Regiment » ne peut établir son identité avec des unités antérieures étant donné son actuelle existence. Il peut cependant, revendiquer le droit d'hériter des traditions de régiments antérieurs de l'armée britannique, bien que mis sur pied à Terre-Neuve, Un « Newfoundland Regiment of Fencible Infantry » fut formé en 1795 et fut dissous en 1802. En 1803, une unité nouvelle, le « Newfoundland Fencible Infantry » fut formé. En 1806, elle devint le « Royal Newfoundland Fencible Infantry » et servit avec distinction pendant la Guerre de 1812. Elle fut dissoute en 1816.

2. CAO 268-4, Supp Issue No. 161/50.

3. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 693/61.

4. CAO 110-3, Supp Issue No. 152/49; and/et CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 673/60.

5. CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 670/60 and/et CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 673/60.

6. Section 1 to "AN ACT RESPECTING A VOLUNTEER FORCE IN THIS COLONY", 4 September 1914, (Public Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador) - "The Governor may accept the services of any persons desirous of being formed under this Act into a volunteer corps and offering their services, and upon such acceptance the proposed corps shall be deemed to be lawfully formed." / « La section 1 du « AN ACT RESPECTING A VOLUNTEER FORCE IN THIS COLONY » daté du 4 septembre 1914, (Archives public à Terre Neuve et Labrador) - « Le gouverneur peut accepter les services de toute personne désireuse d'être formée sous cette loi, au sein d'un corps composé de volontaires, et d'offrir ses services. Si cette personne est acceptée au sein du dit corps, elle doit jugée comme étant légalement formée ».

7. Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - August 1914 to September 1915, (Ottawa, 1938), pp. 123 and/et 158. The first contingent trained with the Canadian Expeditionary Force until 7 December 1914 when it came under British control upon joining Scottish Command / Le premier contingent s'entraîna avec le Corps expéditionnaire canadien jusqu'au 7 décembre 1914 lorsqu'il passa sous commandement britannique en se joignant Commandement écossais.

8. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Fighting Newfoundlander, (London, U.K., 1964), p. 221-224. During 1915, six contingents were despatched overseas (February, March, April, June, October and December) / Au cours de l'année 1915, six contingents furent envoyés outremer (février, mars, avril, juin, octobre et décembre). By the end of hostilities the regiment had three battalions: '1st (Service) Battalion', '2nd (Reserve) Battalion', and '3rd (Reserve) Battalion' (British Army Staff List, 1915 to 1918) / À la fin des hostilités, le régiment comptait trois bataillons : « 1st (Service) Battalion », « 2nd (Reserve) Battalion », et « 3rd (Reserve) Battalion » (British Army Staff List, 1915 à1918).

9. War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 1st Battalion, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, War Office Letter No. 058/4282 (A.G. 10) of 25 January 1918, Document Collection/Collection de documents 145.2R21 (D6).This was the only award of a prefix "Royal" granted to a regiment during hostilities in the First World War / L'attribution du préfixe « Royal » fut le seul accordé à un régiment durant les hostilités de la Première Guerre mondiale.

10. Richard Cramm, The First Five Hundred, (Albany, c. 1922), p. 48.

11. War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 1st Battalion, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Document Collection/Collection de documents 145.2R21 (D6).

12. G.W.L. Nicholson, The Fighting Newfoundlander, (London, U.K., 1964), p. 508.

13. Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-50) The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Box/boîte 37, Folder/chemise 15.

14. Ibid; and/et G.W.L. Nicholson, More Fighting Newfoundlanders, (Aylesbury, U.K., 1969), passim.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.