Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments
STORMONT, DUNDAS AND GLENGARRY HIGHLANDERS
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
A pomme surmounted in base by an autumnal maple leaf flanked by thistles proper all issuant from a pair of barnacles Or ensigned by a raven close perched on a rock proper, and in chief by the letters SDG Argent below a scroll Or inscribed GLENGARRY FENCIBLES and above two like scrolls inscribed DILEAS and GU BAS, the whole ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and surmounting a saltire Argent.
The maple leaf represents service to Canada, and the crown, service to the Sovereign. The thistles (the national flower of Scotland) and the Cross of St. Andrew (the patron saint of Scotland) are common devices among badges of highland infantry regiments. The raven perched on a rock is from the badge and motto of the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry, which is the clan tartan the regiment wears. The words "GLENGARRY FENCIBLES" are in memory of the service of the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles (1812-1816) who were raised during the War of 1812 in the regiment's recruiting area. "SDG" is an abbreviated form of the regimental title and "DILEAS GU BAS" is the motto of the regiment.
DILEAS GU BAS (Faithful unto death)
The War of 1812
DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA; CRYSLER’S FARM; NIAGARA (the latter honour awarded in commemoration of the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles)
The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA
The First World War
HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; AMIENS; ARRAS, 1918; HINDENBURG LINE; PURSUIT TO MONS.
The Second World War
NORMANDY LANDING; CAEN; The Orne (Buron); BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; FALAISE; The Laison; Chambois; Boulogne, 1944; THE SCHELDT; Savojaards Plaat; Breskens Pocket; THE RHINELAND; Waal Flats; The Hochwald; THE RHINE; Zutphen; Leer; NORTH WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Cornwall, Ontario on 3 July 1868, when the '59th "Stormont and Glengarry Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '59th "Stormont" Battalion of Infantry' on 22 June 1883;2 '59th Stormont and Glengarry Battalion of Infantry' on 23 March 1888;3 '59th Stormont and Glengarry Regiment' on 8 May 1900;4 'The Stormont and Glengarry Regiment' on 12 March 1920;5 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' on 15 February 1922;6 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' on 7 November 1940;7 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' on 24 May 1946;8 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders (Machine Gun)' on 1 September 1954;9 and 'Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' on 1 August 1959.10
Upon redesignation as The Stormont and Glengarry Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (154th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Stormont and Glengarry Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 135/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
‘1st Regiment of Dundas Militia (1812-15)’, ‘1st and 2nd Regiments of Glengarry Militia (1812-15)’, ‘1st Regiment of Prescott Militia (1812-15)’, ‘1st Regiment of Stormont Militia (1812-15)’, and '154th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'
The battalion was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. It served on the St. Lawrence River frontier and was removed from active service on 1 June 1870.11
The First World War
Details of the 59th Stormont and Glengarry Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.12
The 154th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '154th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',13 embarked for Britain on 25 October 1916.14 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 31 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '6th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.15 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.16
The Second World War
Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.17 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.18
The regiment mobilized the 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.19 It was redesignated the '1st Battalion, The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CASF' on 7 November 1940.20 This unit embarked for Britain on 19 July 1941.21 On D-Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France, as part of the 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.22 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 January 1946.23
The regiment subsequently mobilized the '3rd Battalion, The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, CIC, CAOF' on 1 June 1945 for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany.24 The battalion was disbanded on 24 May 1946.25
1 MGO 3 Jul 68. Formed from six independent rifle and infantry companies authorized on the following dates: 'No. 1 Company' (1st Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Cornwall, 22 January 1862), 'No. 2 Company' ((2nd) Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Cornwall, 31 January 1862), 'No. 3 Company' (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Cornwall, 14 November 1862), 'No. 4 Company' (Infantry Company at Lancaster, 6 July 1866), 'No. 5 Company' (Infantry Company at Williamstown, 6 July 1866), and 'No. 6 Company' (Infantry Company at Dickinson's Landing, 20 July 1866) / Formé de six compagnies de voltigeurs et d'infanterie indépendante autorisées selon les dates suivantes : « No. 1 Company » (Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Cornwall, 22 janvier 1862), « No. 2 Company » ((2nd) Volunteer Militia Rifle Company at Cornwall, 31 janvier 1862), « No. 3 Company » (Volunteer Militia Company of Infantry at Cornwall, 14 novembre 1862), « No. 4 Company » (Infantry Company at Lancaster, 6 juillet 1866), « No. 5 Company » (Infantry Company at Williamstown, 6 juillet 1866), et « No. 6 Company » (Infantry Company at Dickinson's Landing, 20 juillet 1866).
2 GO 15/83.
3 GO 5/88.
4 MO 105/1900.
5 MO 59/20.
6 GO 30/22; and/et GO 90/22. The first general order designated the unit 'The Dundas, Stormont and Glengarry Highlanders'. The second general order, adverting to the first, changed the designation to 'The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders' / Le premier ordre général désigne l'unité en tant que « The Dundas, Stormont and Glengarry Highlanders ». Le second ordre général, qui fait référence au premier, modifie l'appellation en « The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders ».
7 GO 42/41.
8 GO 85/46; and/et GO 201/46.
9 CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 414/54.
10 CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 652/59.
11 Adjutant General of the Militia Annual Report reprinted in Report of the State of the Militia of the Dominion of Canada for the Year 1870 (Ottawa, 1871), pp. 64-67.
12 GO 142/14.
13 GO 151/15.
14 CEF Sailing List, vol. VIII.
15 Edwin Pye Papers, Summary of History of C.E.F. Units - 154th Battalion, Document Collection/Collection de documents 74/672, Series/séries IV, Box/boîte 13, Folder/chemise 154.
16 GO 82/18.
17 GO 124/39; and/et GO 135/39.
18 GO 44/41.
19 GO 184/40; GO 50/41; and/et Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-0-3, Vol. 1) Battle Honours Committee, Box/boîte 45, Folder/chemise 3. The regiment was formed as a composite unit. The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (Machine Gun) provided Headquarters Company, The Prince of Wales' Own Regiment (Machine Gun) provided No. 1 Company, The Brockville Rifles provided No. 2 Company and No. 3 and 4 Companies were provided by The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders / Le régiment fut formé en tant qu'unité composite. Le « The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (Machine Gun) » fournit la « Headquarters Company », le « The Prince of Wales' Own Regiment (Machine Gun) » fournit la « No. 1 Company », le « The Brockville Rifles » fournit la « No. 2 Company » et les « No. 3 » et « No. 4 Company » furent fournies par le « The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders ».
20 GO 42/41.
21 Lieutenant-Colonel William Boss and William John Patterson, Up the Glens -Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, 1783-1994, (Cornwall, 19995), p. 300.
22 Colonel C.P. Stacey, The Victory Campaign: The Operations in North-West Europe 1944-1945, (Ottawa, 1966), passim.
23 GO 85/46.
24 GO 319/45.
25 GO 201/46.
Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.