Volume 3, Part 2: Infantry Regiments

THE WINNIPEG GRENADIERS

The Winnipeg Grenadiers Badge

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.


BADGE

Description

A grenade Sable enflamed Gules and Argent.

Symbolism

The grenade, named for its similarity to a pomegranate, was a small bomb composed simply of a hollow iron ball filled with explosive and detonated with a simple fuse. It gave rise to a type of infantryman called a Grenadier who was specially trained and equipped for throwing grenades. The red and white of the flames are the livery colours of the regiment and the official colours of Canada.

Top of Page

MOTTO

ADSUM (Present)

MARCH

"British Grenadiers"

BATTLE HONOURS

The First World War

YPRES, 1915, '17; FESTUBERT, 1915; MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Ancre Heights; Ancre, 1916; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; VALENCIENNES; SAMBRE; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915 18

The Second World War

Hong Kong; SOUTH-EAST ASIA, 1941.

Top of Page

LINEAGE

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 1 April 1908 and incorporates the following regiment and machine gun battalion.

The Winnipeg Grenadiers originated in Morden, Manitoba on 1 April 1908, when the '100th Regiment' was authorized to be formed.1 It was redesignated: '100th "Winnipeg Grenadiers"' on 2 May 1910;2 and 'The Winnipeg Grenadiers' on 12 March 1920.3 On 16 November 1936, it was amalgamated with the '10th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (see below) and redesignated 'The Winnipeg Grenadiers (Machine Gun)'.5 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Winnipeg Grenadiers (Machine Gun)' on 7 November 1940;6 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Winnipeg Grenadiers' on 15 March 1941;7 and 'The Winnipeg Grenadiers' on 28 January 1946.8 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.9

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Winnipeg Grenadiers on 12 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (78th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and a 2nd Battalion (11th Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Battalion (100th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Winnipeg Grenadiers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 16 August 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 174/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Winnipeg Grenadiers were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 15 November 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 161/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The '10th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' originated in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 1 June 1919, when the '10th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.10 It was redesignated the '10th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.11 On 16 November 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Winnipeg Grenadiers', as above.

Notes:

The 10th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1919 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 10th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 15 November 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 161/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 10th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Winnipeg Grenadiers (Machine Gun) (GO 76/37).

Perpetuations

'11th', '78th' and '100th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Top of Page

OPERATIONAL HISTORY

The First World War

Details from the 100th "Winnipeg Grenadiers" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.12

The 11th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '11th Battalion, CEF',13 embarked for Great Britain on 30 September 1914.14 It was redesignated '11th Reserve Infantry Battalion, CEF' on 29 April 1915, to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.15 On 4 January 1917, its personnel, along with the personnel of the '100th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' (see below), were absorbed by a new '11th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.16 The battalion was disbanded on 12 October 1917.17

The 78th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 July 1915 as the '78th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',18 embarked for Great Britain on 20 May 1916.19 It disembarked in France on 13 August 1916, where it fought as part of the 12th Brigade, 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.20 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920.21

The 100th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '100th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',22 embarked for Great Britain on 18 September 1916.23 It provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 20 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '11th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.24 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.25

The Second World War

The regiment mobilized 'The Winnipeg Grenadiers (Machine Gun), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.26 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Winnipeg Grenadiers (Machine Gun), CASF' on 7 November 1940.27 and '1st Battalion, The Winnipeg Grenadiers, CASF' on 15 March 1941.28 It served in Jamaica and Bermuda on garrison duty from May 1940 to October 1941.29 On 27 October 1941 it embarked for Hong Kong, where it was destroyed while fighting in defence of the colony.30 The unit was reconstituted on 10 January 1942.31 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the Prince Rupert Defences, 8th Canadian Division32 and took part in the expedition to Kiska, Alaska as a component of the 13th Canadian Infantry Brigade Group, serving there from 16 August 1943 to 22 December 1943.33 It embarked for Great Britain on 25 May 1944.34 On 1 November 1944, it was absorbed by the '3rd Canadian Infantry Training Battalion, CASF' and designated '3rd Canadian Infantry Training Battalion, Type A (Winnipeg Grenadiers), CASF'.35 On 5 July 1945, it was converted and redesignated 'No. 10 Canadian Repatriation Depot, Type "T"'.36 The depot was disbanded on 28 January 1946.37

REGIMENTAL COLOUR

The Winnipeg Grenadiers

CAMP FLAG

No camp flag recorded.


1 GO 58/08. Formed from eight newly authorized infantry companies: 'A' and 'B Company' at Morden, 'C Company' at Manitou, 'D Company' at Carmen, 'E Company' at Roland, 'F Company' at Pilot Mound, 'G Company' at Cartwright, and 'H Company' at Boissevain / Formé de huit compagnies d'infanterie nouvellement autorisées : « A » et « B Company » à Morden, « C Company » à Manitou, « D Company » à Carmen, « E Company » à Roland, « F Company » à Pilot Mound, « G Company » à Cartwright, et « H Company » à Boissevain. The organization of the regiment, while authorized, was held in abeyance until 1910 / L'organisation du régiment, bien qu'autorisé, demeura en suspens jusqu'en 1910.

2 GO 57/10.

3 MO 60/20.

4 GO 47/19.

5 GO 161/36.

6 GO 42/41.

7 GO 92/41.

8 GO 400/45.

9 SD 1 Letter No. 64/60; and/et Letter, Western Command 2001-3/1 (G), 18 Oct 65.

10 GO 47/19; and/et GO 1/20.

11 GO 117/24.

12 GO 163/14.

13 PC 2067, 6 August 1914, and/et memorandum Preliminary Instructions for Mobn. War 1914, BGen V.A.S. Williams, Adjutant-General, Canadian Militia to O.Cs. Divisions and Districts, 10 August 1914, reprinted in Colonel A.F. Duguid, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919, vol. 1 - Appendices (Ottawa), 1938), pp. 37-39.

14 Ibid., pp. 113 and/et 116.

15 Shorncliffe Camp Order 450/15.

16 CRO 198/17.

17 GO 82/18.

18 GO 103a/15.

19 CEF Sailing List, vol. IV.

20 War Diary/Journaux de guerre, 78th Battalion, 13 August 1916/13 août 1916, LAC/BAC, RG9/GE 9, Series III-D-3, Vol. 4943, File/dossier 453.

21 GO 149/20.

22 GO 151/15.

23 CEF Sailing List, vol. V.

24 CRO 271/17.

25 GO 82/18.

26 GO 135/39.

27 GO 42/41.

28 GO 92/41.

29 Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1: Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 181. The main body served in Jamaica, while "A" Detachment" of the regiment served in Bermuda until 31 August 1940 / Le gros des troupes servit en Jamaïque alors que le « "A" Detachment » du régiment servit aux Bermudes jusqu'au 31 août 1940.

30 Brereton, Greenhous, "C" Force to Hong Kong - Canadian Catastrophe 1941-1945 (Toronto, 1997), passim.

31 Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-64)The Winnipeg Grenadiers, Box/boîte 38, Folder/chemise 9.

32 Colonel C.P. Stacey, Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Volume 1: Six Years of War (Ottawa, 1955), p. 539.

33 Ibid, pp. 502-505. Upon landing, the Japanese were found to have previously evacuated the island / Lors du débarquement, l'on découvrit que les Japonais avaient déjà quitté l'île.

34 Document Collection/Collection de documents 92/252, (3-6-64)The Winnipeg Grenadiers, Box/boîte 38, Folder/chemise 9.

35 GO 78/45.

36 GO 43/46. It was amalgamated with 'Headquarters, 3rd Canadian Infantry Training Regiment' and '3rd Canadian Infantry Depot Battalion' / Il se fusionna avec le « Headquarters, 3rd Canadian Infantry Training Regiment » et le « 3rd Canadian Infantry Depot Battalion ».

37 GO 85/46.

Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.