Volume 4: Operational Flying Squadrons
435 Transport and Rescue Squadron
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
Argent a chinthe on a plinth Or.
The chinthe is a legendary monster which guards the temples in Burma where this squadron operated in the Second World War. The motto refers to the unit's activities as a transport squadron.
CERTI PROVEHENDI (Determined on delivery)
The Second World War
Authorized 23 January 1943 and incorporates the following units.
Authorized as '164 (Transport) Squadron' 23 January 1943.1
Divided into two units 1 August 1946, with the Edmonton detachment redesignated '435 (Transport) Squadron'.2 See also 426 Squadron.
Authorized as '435 (Transport) Squadron' 20 August 1944.3
Disbanded 31 March 1946.4
Reformed from the Edmonton detachment of '164 Transport Squadron' 1 August 1946, as above.
Redesignated '435 Transport and Rescue Squadron' 1 May 1995.5
The Second World War
164 Squadron flew on transport operations on the Atlantic Coast under 'Eastern Air Command'.7 435 Squadron flew transport operations in Burma under 'East Asia Command'.8
1. Secret Organization Order No 1/43, file/dossier S.17-164-9, Kardex 181.009 (D1040)
2. Secret Organization Order 331, 10 July 1946, file/dossier 192-10-9/435 (DOE), Kardex 181.009 (D5418)
3. AFRO 1296/45, Appendix "B"; AFRO 1645/45
4. Information Memorandum No 180, 13 March 1946, file/dossier S.2-3-435, Kardex 181.009 (D757); Headquarters Transport Command, Organization Orders, IM/1175/Org.3, file/dossier S.2-100-57 (DAS), 13 March 1946, Kardex 181.009 (D755)
5. CFOO/OOFC 2.7.1, 9 September/septembre 1977, file/dossier 1901-2512 (DMCO)
6. NDHQ Message/Message du QGDN, DGMP 009, 4 May/mai 1995, file/dossier 1901-1 (DEPR); MOO/DMO 95033
7. AFHS, "No.164 (T) Squadron", October 1952, PRF/DRP R S7 164
8. Information Memorandum No 83, 18 Jul 44, file/dossier S.2-3-435, Kardex 181.009 (D803); Headquarters Transport Command, Locations of Units in Transport Command, 15 November 1945, file/dossier S.2-100-57, Kardex 181.009 (D758); Memorandum/Note de service, Organization - Nos 435 and 436 Squadrons, 6 February 1945, file/dossier S.2-3-435 (DDPII), Kardex 181.006 (D314)
Footnotes notice: This content is provided as it appears in the originating document (see PDF link above) and cannot be altered. Some notes reference annotation in only one of the official languages, and therefore numbers may not match in the content you are viewing. For clarification, we invite you to check the corresponding footnote in the French page.