Memorials Details Search Results

(Use your browser to return to the previous page)

Memorial Number: 35078-024
Type: metal plaque
Location: CFB Borden, Range Control Building. GPS N 44 16.935 W 79 53.849
Address: Ortona Road
Reference: Near Building T-47 (an original wash hut).
Borden, ON
Surveyor: Alfred Zangao
Photo Credit: (www.ontarioplaques.com)

More photos

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation in 1976, this memorial title "CAMP BORDEN" is dedicated to the memory of the origins of Camp Borden.


[plaque/plaque]

CAMP BORDEN

Camp Borden was established during the First World War
as a major training centre of Canadian Expeditionary Force
battalions. The Camp (including this structure) was off-
icially opened by Sir Sam Hughes, Minister of Militia and
Defence, on July 11, 1916, after two months of intensive build-
ing. This military reserve, comprising over twenty square
miles, was soon occupied by some 32,000 troops. Training
facilities were expanded in 1917 with the institution of an
air training programme under the Royal Flying Corps, Canada,
and the construction of the first Canadian military aero-
drome, regarded as the finest military aviation camp in North
America. Following the armistice Camp Borden continued as
an important army and air force centre and became one of the
largest armed forces bases in Canada.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation