Memorials Details Search Results

(Use your browser to return to the previous page)

Memorial Number: 12007-103
Type: Memorial Rink
Location: St. Francis Xavier University
Address: needs further research
Reference: Antigonish County
Antigonish, NS
Surveyor: Marilyn Gurney
Photo Credit: Marilyn Gurney

More photos

St. Francis Xavier University's Memorial Rink opened in February 1922 and the official closing ceremony was held February 8, 2002. Up until 1947, the rink didn't even have an artificial ice system. People just left the doors open to keep it cold. Named for the university's war dead, Memorial Rink is the birthplace of Canada's oldest hockey league, the Antigonish Rural League. It was used by the university's X-Men and the Antigonish Bulldogs and even the Montreal Junior Canadiens in the 1950s. Until the Antigonish Arena was built in 1967, all the town's hockey games were played at the Memorial Rink. The rink with its brick exterior and wood interior, is mostly standing-room only, with bleachers at each end. Many people were hit with pucks and spectators were close to the action. A new science complex is planned to be built in the old rink's place in the spring of 2002 after it is torn down. Source: The Sunday Daily News, December 23, 2001 Story by: Chris Lambie


BUILT IN 1922 AS A MEMORIAL TO THE UNIVERSITY'S STUDENTS AND ALUMNI WHO DIED DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR