Memorials Details Search Results

(Use your browser to return to the previous page)

Memorial Number: 35061-027
Type: Building and plaques
Location: Wallis House
Address: 589 Rideau Street K1N 6A1
Reference: At corner of Charlotte Street and Rideau Street
Ottawa, ON
Surveyor: Richard Turcotte
Photo Credit: Richard Turcotte

More photos

The memorial building with plaques was erected by the city of Ottawa. The plaques were unveiled in 1990 and 1997. The memorial is dedicated to Admiral of the Fleet Sir Provo William Perry Wallis, GCB (1791-1892),from Halifax, Nova Scotia. He joined the Royal Navy at a very young age and fought in the War of 1812, commanding a frigate in battle near Boston when the ship's captain was severely wounded and his second-in -command killed. He saw action throughout the 1800`s in Halifax, Madagascar, the Mediterranean and South America. He was appointed Admiral of the fleet in 1877.

The building now known as Wallis House was built in 1873 as the County of Carleton Protestant General Hospital. It remained a hospital until 1924 whereupon it served as a Catholic seminary until 1943 when the military took over and used it as the Headquarters for the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service during the Second World War. The Navy gave it the name Wallis House, after Provo Wallis a hero of the War of 1812. After World War II, it served as housing for returning veterans and during the 1950`s was used for various military purposes, eventually becoming the home of 28 Service Battalion. In 1994 it was sold to a developer who transformed the building into condominiums.


[plaque with English text/plaque avec texte anglais]

1873 AND 1898
WALLIS HOUSE

BUILT AS THE COUNTY OF CARLETON RPOTESTANT
GENERAL HOSPITAL, THIS STRUCTURE SUBSEQUENTLY
SERVED AS A ROMAN CATHOLIC SEMINARY, AS SECOND-WORLD-WAR HEADQUARTERS FOR THE WOMEN`S ROYAL
CANADIAN NAVAL SERVICE (WRENS) AND AS AN ARMOURY
AND TRAINING FACILITY FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL
DEFENCE. OTTAWA ARCHITECT AND ENGINEER ROBERT
SURTEES DESIGNED THE 1873 WEST WING IN TTHE QUEEN ANNE
REVIVAL STYLE, AND MONTREAL ARCHITECT ALEXANDER
HUTCHION DESIGNED THE 1893 EAST WING IN THE TUDOR
REVIVAL STYLE. WALLIS HOUSE RETAINS A COMMANDING PRESENCE ON RIDEAU STREET, AND STANDS AS TESTIMONY TO
OTTAWA`S EARLY MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS.

DESIGNATED HERITAGE
PROPERTY 1990

CITY OF/VILLE D`
OTTAWA[plaque with French text/plaque avec texte français]

1873 ET 1898
LA MAISON WALLIS

HÔPITAL GÉNÉRAL PROTESTANT DU COMTÉ DE
CARLETON, CET ÉDIFICE A SERVI PAR LA SUITE DE
SÉMINAIRE CATHOLIQUE ROMAIN, DE QUARTIER GÉNÉRAL
DU SERVICE FÉMININ DE LA MARINE ROYALE DU CANADA
DURANT LA SECONDE GUERRE MONDIALE, PUIS D`ARSENAL ET
DE CASERNE D`ENTRAINEMENT POUR LE MINISTÈRE DE LA
DÉFENSE NATIONALE. SON AILE OUEST A ÉTÉ CONSTRUITE EN
1873 DANS LE STYLE NÉO-QUEEN ANNE PAR ROBERT SURTEES, ARCHITECTE ET INGÉNIEUR D`OTTAWA, ET SON AILE EST, DANS LE STYLE NÉO-TUDOR PAR L`ARCHITECTE MONTRÉALAIS
ALEXANDER HUTCHISON, EN 1898. LA MAISON WALLIS
DEMEURE L`UN DES ÉDIFICES LES PLUS IMPOSANTS DE LA
RUE RIDEAU ET UN EXEMPLE DES PREMIERS
ÉTABLISSEMENTS MÉDICAUX D`OTTAWA.

PROPRIÉTÉ DÉSIGNÉE
HISTORIQUE 1990
CITY OF/VILLE D`
OTTAWA