Memorials Details Search Results
(Use your browser to return to the previous page)
Memorial Number: 35059-074
Type: Brass plaque
Location: St. Patrick's Basilica
Address: 281 Nepean Street K1R 5G2
Reference: Corner of Kent and Nepean Streets
Surveyor: Richard Turcotte
Photo Credit: Richard Turcotte
This memorial plaque was erected by the commanding officer (from 19 Jun 1916 to 13 Sep 1916) Lieutenant Colonel D.R. Street, officers N.C.O.s. and Men of the (Ottawa) 77th Overseas Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.). The plaque was unveiled on June 11, 1916 and is dedicated to St. Patrick's Basilica in appreciation for the privilege of worshipping in this church.
The 77th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 July 1915 as the '77th "Overseas" Battalion', CEF, embarked for Great Britain on 19 June 1916. It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 22 September 1916, when its personnel were absorbed by the '47th' and '73rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' and the battalion was disbanded.
(Crest of the 77 Ottawa Overseas Battalion C.E.F.)
LIEUT. COLONEL D.R. STREET & THOSE OFFICERS N.C.O.s & MEN
77th OVERSEAS BATTALION C.E.F.
WHO ATTENDED MASS HERE
TO RECORD THEIR APPRECIATION OF THE
PRIVILEGE OF WORSHIPPING GOD
IN THIS CHURCH FOR SEVEN MONTHS
WHILE TRANING FO OVERSEAS SERVICE
11th JUNE 1916.
GOD SAVE THE KING