The Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH) Historical Research Centre maintains a comprehensive listing of finding aids, guides, lists and other research tools to assist members of the Canadian Forces and the Dept. of National Defence, and the general public in their research on Canada’s military history.
At present, the Archives does not have any of its databases online. However, there are 448 fonds level descriptions available on Archeion, an online catalogue of descriptions of records located in archives across Ontario, and on ArchivesCanada.ca, the gateway to archival resources found in over 800 repositories across Canada. In addition, all of the Archives’ finding aids for 1971-1989 are available online at the website for the Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies, Wilfred Laurier University.
There are a number of archival resources available online on the DHH website. These include:
- Finding Aids for all fonds and collections in the Document Collection for 1990-2006;
- Finding Aid to the Royal Canadian Navy Historical Section fonds or the Naval Kardex (81/520);
- Lists of the Permanent Reference Files (PRFs) and the Catalogued Biographical Files; and
- Inventory of the Pamphlet Collection
In regards to the DHH Library, the Catalogue List and Serial List to 2004 are available online. Bibliographies have also been compiled by the Library for: awards and honours; Canadian official military histories; women and Canada; and Canadian regimental histories.
The DHH Historical Research Centre has a long-term plan to make the following resources available online:
- All archival and library databases, including the Fonds, the Annual Historical Reports (AHRs), the Finding Aids; and the Library databases;
- The finding aids to the AHRs, the Public Record Office, the Steiger Materials and the Indexes to the Minutes of Meetings for Military Committees and Organizations; and
- The remaining finding aids for all fonds and collections in the Document Collection for 1971-1989 and post 2006.